Josh Allen article

3 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I am not sure what is wrong with his play at the end of the game. My recollection is that he got us to OT and then in FG position, if barely, to win the game until the non-blind side blind-side bs call. 

I hope we never see him bail backwards on a blitz on the edge of fg range, lateral a ball randomly, or heave it to a FB in double coverage- and those are just the exceptionally bizarre choices.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Josh Allen gets one more season to prove he's a franchise QB. 

Panicking in the biggest moments is not encouraging. 

Getting zero TDs against a poor D is not encouraging. 

All will be forgotten if next season is much better. If not, dump him.

You forgot one thing.  He has to learn how not to fumble the damn ball. 

He better start practicing this,  Stick-um is illegal now LOL. 

It was a funny take and had moments of truth.  But it made me think of something else - are the Bills, Deboll & McD screwing Josh Allen up?

While the writer of this article was being a smart a## he was also noting something that we Bills fans are already aware of - Allen makes jaw dropping plays and plays QB with a creativity seldom seen in the NFL. 

Last year Lamar Jackson was booed at home as he had a terrible game in the playoff against San Diego.  The "new" offense  the ravens were trying to run seemed to implode in the playoffs.  Who watching that game, including most of the 65,000 people in the stadium, weren't calling for Joe Flaco?  But the Ravens in the off season doubled down on their crazy offense and put even more pieces around Jackson to make it happen.  The result was there for all to see.

Maybe what the Bills need to do is treat Allen like the Ravens treat Jackson - as an unconventional talent that could redefine how the QB position is played.  Change the offense to FOCUS on and FEATURE the wild stuff that Allen does.  Surround Allen with equally creative and wacky PLAY MAKERS.  On this current offense ONLY Singleterry would fit the kind of skill player Allen should have around him.  Guys like SF's Kittle or Carolina's McCaffrey would thrive in such an environment. 

Just some food for thought and I hope Daboll, Bean & McD do a little out of the box thinking this off season.  Or we can stick with splitting Gore & DeMarco out wide in an empty backfield.  You know a play design that deprives Allen of extra protection while simultaneously removing 40% of the threat the spread out "play makers" are supposed to represent?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If you search “Josh Allen” and look at the top replies on Twitter.  It’s actually hilarious.  

Most of the memes are just what seems obvious.... dude is crazy talented, and also just crazy.  To the average NFL fan... watching Josh Allen yesterday was equivelant to snorting pigskin cocaine and driving your motorcycle at 100 mph off a bridge. 

Extends a play, stiff arms a defender, throws across his body for a deadly accurate strike.  

Immediately turns around and launches the ball to a Fullback in double coverage 50 yards down the field. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think he made some amazing throws yesterday and definitely some bad ones I'm not putting this all on his shoulders defense definitely broke down in the second half and we have to be more aggressive and not settle for field goals

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

This pretty much sums it up I think. 

I love the kid. My hope is that someone in the next few months before the 2020 season, sits down with him and shows him a mashup of all his bad plays and all his good plays. Maybe this will help him understand what it means to be an NFL QB, not a drunken lunatic playing Madden.

https://apple.news/AsmRQ3tnPROioVhjBARzA8Q

I was telling somebody yesterday it's almost like Josh plays like a fan out there. He just tries to do too much sometimes. I get the feeling that he has embraced Buffalo almost too much to the point where he feels like it's all on his shoulders

• Like (+1) 1

One fan-view positive to take is that Josh Allen did gain a level of respect this year.  

It’s not “that dude is a franchise QB”..

Its more along the lines of “that dude is ridiculously talented but also kind of a crackhead”....

....but, hey, that’s better than “completion percentage derrrr, doesn’t belong in the league” points of view we had to deal with. 

Edited by SCBills

I love the kid. My hope is that someone in the next few months before the 2020 season, sits down with him and shows him a mashup of all his bad plays and all his good plays. Maybe this will help him understand what it means to be an NFL QB, not a drunken lunatic playing Madden.

I love him too.  This sums it up nicely as well.

https://www.theringer.com/2020/1/5/21050032/josh-allen-buffalo-bills-houston-texans-wild-card-round-lateral-catch

37 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If you search “Josh Allen” and look at the top replies on Twitter.  It’s actually hilarious.  

Most of the memes are just what seems obvious.... dude is crazy talented, and also just crazy.  To the average NFL fan... watching Josh Allen yesterday was equivelant to snorting pigskin cocaine and driving your motorcycle at 100 mph off a bridge. 

Extends a play, stiff arms a defender, throws across his body for a deadly accurate strike.  

Immediately turns around and launches the ball to a Fullback in double coverage 50 yards down the field. 

Who should have caught the ball.

That's actually not a bad description of his play all season.  When his gambles work, he looks great.  But when they don't, whooooo boy. 

Allen seriously made some great strides this year.  Does he have a long way to go?  Of course.  But nobody can doubt his passion or will to win.  He wants to be great and it shows.  That's an important trait to have and I am not sure every player in this league cares like he does.

He was not great this year.   Ball security, lack of touch on the long ball, and still forcing plays he shouldn't were all big time issues for him this year.  But, despite all that, if you can't see the improvement from year 1 to year 2, you're not looking hard enough.

If he can make the same jump he made this year from year 2 to year 3 next year, he's got a chance to be one of the top 10 QBs in this league next year.  It's on him and the coaches to get him there, but I have no doubt he'll put the effort in to get there.  Whether he is capable of doing it, who knows, but he will do what he can to get there.

11 minutes ago, Buffbills716 said:

Meh. Not a fan of that article.  Allen, thus far, is a lot of good, with a lot of bad.   He had some spectacular plays yesterday as well.  More than just one long run and a TD catch.  9 of their 11 plays were of the bad variety.  That doesn’t sum up a 264 yards passing / 92 yards rushing game that went to OT. 

Also, “almost interceptions” happen all the time, to everyone.  Watson threw one at his own 25 that we couldn’t bring in. 

biased article is biased. 

Edited by SCBills

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Who should have caught the ball.

I disagree.  A fullback slotted out as a WR is beyond nuts (this is not the first time this has happened in the Daboll scheme).  So, do you blame Allen for the ridiculous throw or the fullback for being there in the first place?

3 minutes ago, Buffbills716 said:

I disagree.  A fullback slotted out as a WR is beyond nuts (this is not the first time this has happened in the Daboll scheme).  So, do you blame Allen for the ridiculous throw or the fullback for being there in the first place?

Whether the play or pattern should have been called is a separate issue.  Watch the play.  It was not a ridiculous throw.  It was a throw to a guy who had position and just needs to time his jump better for a big completion.  Quit looking for false reasons to criticize the QB.

Edited by oldmanfan

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Josh Allen gets one more season to prove he's a franchise QB. 

Panicking in the biggest moments is not encouraging. 

Getting zero TDs against a poor D is not encouraging. 

All will be forgotten if next season is much better. If not, dump him.

Yeah. If only he put balls on the money that weren’t dropped.

Never bothered to read. Sure he made mistakes and some are over analyzed because of the stage he was on during this game and some because of who he is and what the media likes to say about him. 

Kid had a great season and improved in his second year. People who watched every snap know this.

You can’t blame the kid for not getting in the endzone when his supporting cast ain’t making the plays needed to get there. It works both ways. Brown steps out of bounds at the five yard line on third down. Duke drops a ball in the end zone which he has two mitts on. Yeah we seen the bad side of Josh yesterday when the game was slipping away from us and the Texans had all the momentum.  He’s got to be smarter while trying to make plays. At the same time when your down and time is running out you have to force the issue somewhere. If you don’t you ain’t gonna succeed. In the end, after a disastrous sack on third down, then another one on 4th down (which we should of punted), he led us down the field to tie the game up. He then put us in position to have a FG opportunity if it wasn’t for a terrible call on the field.  Not many QBs do this on a regular basis and Josh has delivered all year in these situations. Outcome hasn’t always lead to victory but he has always taken the game down to the wire. Ravens and Pats loss came down to the last play. Against the Browns he put us up late in the 4th with a TD drive that was answered by Cleveland. Then he took us right back down the field and put us back in FG position and gave us an opportunity to tie.  You can add on the 4 game winning drives in the 4th quarter to this list of him giving us opportunities to win games. 

He’s far from perfect but he’s improving. Keep adding weapons and building that o line and we are gonna be a powerful team on both sides of the ball. 

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Meh. Not a fan of that article.  Allen, thus far, is a lot of good, with a lot of bad.   He had some spectacular plays yesterday as well.  More than just one long run and a TD catch.  9 of their 11 plays were of the bad variety.  That doesn’t sum up a 264 yards passing / 92 yards rushing game that went to OT. 

Also, “almost interceptions” happen all the time, to everyone.  Watson threw one at his own 25 that we couldn’t bring in. 

biased article is biased. 

What makes you think it was biased?  Believe it or not, I thought Allen played well for most of the game (should have against a 30th ranked defense), but the article sums up nicely the mistakes and near mistakes he made.  This is not the first time we have seen wild behavior from Allen (however, I admit he looked like he was on crack at times--a first).  If he doesn't get it together, a change needs to be made.