Players told to play fearlessly but did the coaches coach fearlessly?

tomur67

The Bills had the Texans on the ropes.  The Texans were reeling, We were up 13-0 and we are down near the red zone.  Instead of playing the way they had been playing,  The play calling got conservative. They put in Gore.  Seemed to be happy with settling for a field goal. Again they did it in the second half. IMO it was a major reason they lost the game

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think this is an interesting question and it's one that I pondered this morning.  I think Daboll has done great work with Allen -- think about where we were with him the last time we played the Texans. But we were far too conservative with the lead yesterday. 

The thing I keep coming back to is trusting Allen with the ball.  I think the kid is very good now, and is going to be outstanding.  It will take longer for him to develop coming from a community and small college than it might for someone who played more snaps at a major college program.  But the ball security issue is a major problem.  He's far too casual with the football, and I wonder if some of the conservatism is traceable to a broader view of the game from the coaching staff, namely, minimize risk and take points where they can be had given our above-average defense. 

If the kid can just get a little more trustworthy with the ball (e.g., not dropping it once a game, and limiting the risky throws), we are really going to be on to something.  He has everything else, and we have the right leadership in place and the right circumstances (cap space, picks, youth, etc.) heading into 2020. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

The Bills had the Texans on the ropes.  The Texans were reeling, We were up 13-0 and we are down near the red zone.  Instead of playing the way they had been playing,  The play calling got conservative. They put in Gore.  Seemed to be happy with settling for a field goal. Again they did it in the second half. IMO it was a major reason they lost the game

That was the difference,  had a chance to put them away and played it conservative.

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

I’m 65% Allen

30% Daboll

No.  The first two posts are more correct here; the Bills played not to lose their lead, the game, once they got ahead.  Dabol does some great things, and he did so yesterday, but lacks the ability to consistently call a good game, even over the course of one game.  He has done a good job with Allen, but if the Bills had a lesser season Daboll would likely be out.

I keep hoping he will develop that consistency, and start to get it as a coordinator, but it does not seem he has it in him.

Our coach and GM likely see the same things most fans see, I think.

58 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

Ah, yes, good. This hasn't been discussed in 17 other threads.

But in a serious note, I pin 90% of this loss on Daboll, and 10% on McDermott for not demanding more of Daboll late in the game. 

I don’t.  Philosophy permeates everything.  McDermott is great, but his philosophy bit us in this playoff game.  He needs to re-evaluate this offseason.  

Daboll can’t execute perfectly drawn up plays.  He gets guys open, Allen misses.  Allen hits, guys drop passes or don’t toe-tap.  

Case and Point.  Daboll won us this game.  QB sweep, 3 blockers on 1 defender.  Easy money.  Guaranteed 10-20 yards putting us in game winning FG range.  Not one of those blockers get that one defender.  Josh gets lit up for no gain. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Conlan58 said:

Ah, yes, good. This hasn't been discussed in 17 other threads.

But in a serious note, I pin 90% of this loss on Daboll, and 10% on McDermott for not demanding more of Daboll late in the game. 

Even Frazier went into prevent mode - 3rd & 18 and we have 5 players drop over 20 yards back and rush 2 = Totally STUPID!   

• Like (+1) 1

Allen definitely needs to get better, while he is improving, we need to find out how high his ceiling is.  Seems he does well at reading the D & play calling, it’s his execution that needs a lot of improvement.  With that said, we also need a more aggressive coaching staff.  The conservative play calling will only get you so far, as proven yesterday. 

8 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

Even Frazier went into prevent mode - 3rd & 18 and we have 5 players drop over 20 yards back and rush 2 = Totally STUPID!   

From a coaching perspective there is plenty of blame to go around. OC play calling has been consistent all year horrible. DC has needed HC throughout the year. The team has gained invaluable experience this. I believe with an experience OC and mentor JA will be an excellent QB.

13 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

A WR threw a TD to the QB ............... I think they played as out there as you can expect from the group we have. 

That was on drive #1... where was that creative play calling on the rest of the drives? 

Also, the best coaches keep that kind of play up their sleeve for when it really matters, and don't need to rely on that in a wild card scenario. See: Philly Special. 

2 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

That was on drive #1... where was that creative play calling on the rest of the drives? 

Also, the best coaches keep that kind of play up their sleeve for when it really matters, and don't need to rely on that in a wild card scenario. See: Philly Special. 

The playcalling has been the same almost every game and all season.  Good enough but not great.  The win was there for the taking.  The difference this game was the execution got worse and worse as the game went on instead of better.  Frankly I feel like we didn't know how to play with a lead.

Edited by Maine-iac
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s youth, talent level, scheme awareness  and execution. Bills have a young team, good not great players, a lot of new comers to the team and have missed a few times on the field. 

Another year, $90+ M in cap spaces, Free Agency and the draft will help. I expect big things in the next 2 years!

Thats the window for this team. I’m excited from the improvement that’s taken place from the 2018-2019 season. It’s not all on the coaches.

2 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

The playcalling has been the same almost every game and all season.  Good enough but not great.  The win was there for the taking.  The difference this game was the execution got worse and worse as the game went on instead of better.  Frankly I feel like we didn't know how to play with a lead.

I agree - this coaching staff has shown time and again that playing with a lead is a definite weakness.