The Bills Formula For Winning in 2019 Was Never Sustainable For Playoffs

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It struck me last night how our season ended just like it began in the Jets game...but in reverse. This time we blew the 16-0 lead.  

Houston made halftime adjustments.  Watson started getting the ball out quickly.  Our D wilted late.  Allen needs to do better. In Buffalo we think he’s going to be great. I read other fan sites around the USA and they think Allen is a mess and somewhere between Mariota and Trubisky on the scale of QBs.  He has raise his level of accuracy going forward and learn to throw passes with more of an arc instead of always so flat. That’s my opinion.

His 4th quarter meltdown is more defining than the actual game.  He was phenomenal in the first half.  Not asked to do much of anything in the 3rd quarter.  Then had 3 bizarro world plays almost in succession.  We lost, so he gets remembered for that unfortunately.  If we won, he’d be offset by the across-his-body throws that extended drives to tie/win the game.  

That’s how it goes.  Especially for people who never really watch him.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

It struck me last night how our season ended just like it began in the Jets game...but in reverse. This time we blew the 16-0 lead.  

Houston made halftime adjustments.  Watson started getting the ball out quickly.  Our D wilted late.  Allen needs to do better. In Buffalo we think he’s going to be great. I read other fan sites around the USA and they think Allen is a mess and somewhere between Mariota and Trubisky on the scale of QBs.  He has raise his level of accuracy going forward and learn to throw passes with more of an arc instead of always so flat. That’s my opinion.

we gave up 2 touchdowns in 3 quarters after half time. This wasn’t an epic defensive collapse. It was an above average game from the unit. They shouldn’t have to be historically good at all times.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Isn’t the other constant that all 3 are not franchise QB’s?  Allen has a pass for being young

No pass for Allen on him being young.

Allens contemporaries and their successes at the same age and experiences don’t give Allen the Lee-way to play the “green” card.

i would more be willing to give Allen a pass based on being saddle with a Head Coach whose philosophies are just way conservative and whose history now shows he doesn’t know how to develop offenses to score points.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It’s a testament for having a great defense and an offense that doesn’t score enough points.  But it’s also a sign of good coaching IMO

The next step is to keep this D together and the offense adding some pieces, Josh improving and scoring more points. Allow me to add, and I can’t believe I am saying this, but Poyer seemed like a diminished player this season. Maybe analytics etc can prove me wrong but to the naked eye he just did not seem the same.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

This offense is way to conservative and this lacks the boot to throat mentality that winning playoff teams must have.

Just look at the play call with 32 seconds left in the half.   You come out of a timeout and call a run play.  What the ***** was that about.  This gave us only one shot at the endzone, instead of what should have been multiple tries at it.   

Of course the very next play Josh Allen took that one shot, made an absolutely perfect throw, put it on Duke Williams and he dropped it.  

This run call was the beginning of the end for this team in this game.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not saying that Allen doesn’t deserve blame, but he’s not the one who gave up 19 points in the second half. And yes, he made some boneheaded decisions (throwing deep to a FB, that lateral) but let’s not forget some of the GREAT throws he made-the throw across the field to Duke, the laser to Singletary on third down across his body as he was forced to the sideline, the perfect throw to Duke in the end zone (tough catch but it could’ve been made). 

This is the problem with social media today. Very rarely do people acknowledge the good and bad. If you didn’t like Allen from the beginning you are always looking at the flaws. If you’re in team Allen you are always looking for other reasons why the team played poorly. Was he a reason for the loss last night-yes. If he is in your top 2 or 3 reasons why they lost though you weren’t watching the same game I was 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The problem is described in more detail in this thread:

And this thread:

Basically the Bills are the worst team in the NFL in converting drives into opponent territory into points. They were worst in the NFL with 26 drives that ended on the opponent side of the field outside the 35 yard line that resulted in not even a FG attempt. This has gotta change if they want to improve their points per game on offense. Can't have drives consistently stall out there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

we gave up 2 touchdowns in 3 quarters after half time. This wasn’t an epic defensive collapse. It was an above average game from the unit. They shouldn’t have to be historically good at all times.

We actually gave up 3 straight scores. (One off a short field).   The two TD drives were both long, methodical drives that were both capped by 2 point conversions.  

We have up a 3rd and 18 in do or die OT.  

The Texans were missing the 3rd top weapon after Watson/Hopkins.  

I don’t believe today is the day to make excuses for a defense that is heavily weighted in coaching, resources and talent on this roster.  

It is not as simple as the OP states. When he says great coaching gets us the 1 point wins or gets us to where we are. I see it as McD and his philosophy make the team competitive and give them a chance in most games. That means 8-8, plus or minus a game or two based on fortune, good or bad. He has proven to be that level of coach. But,  let's not lie to ourselves, the approach keeps the games close, but it's not going to beat playoff caliber teams very often. We just aren't aggressive on offense or defense and put people away. We start our run, run, pass or run,run, run and playing soft coverages and giving them yards. The approach absolutely needs to change and hopefully it will with better talent in some areas. 

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

48 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think you might be missing the point though.  The reason they didn’t go for the kill is because they don’t have a QB that has shown the ability to pull this off.  Allen melted down last night and even if they went for the kill, I don’t think anything changes

But scoring less that 20 points a game loses games which is what Allen has consistently done alL season long.  Right now, he isn’t good enough to score more than 17 points a game

If that were the case, then they wouldn't have been pulling out all the stops like they did on the opening drive.

Then we get them settling for a field goal at halftime instead of going for the touchdown.

To me that shows lack of killer instinct by McDermott, not Josh Allen.

45 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think you might be missing the point though.  The reason they didn’t go for the kill is because they don’t have a QB that has shown the ability to pull this off.  Allen melted down last night and even if they went for the kill, I don’t think anything changes

But scoring less that 20 points a game loses games which is what Allen has consistently done alL season long.  Right now, he isn’t good enough to score more than 17 points a game

bull####, Allen has shown the ability when the O C trusts him to get it done and the offensive line actually gives him the time to get it done. But terrible execution or poor play calling inside the 30 often leads to 3rd and long where the line can’t handle the blitz and the receivers get zero separation. He threw  two dimes one to brown and one to Williams that were both dropped and cost us 8 points. We abandoned the running game in overtime for only god knows why. This is just drivel from another Josh Allen hater with little understanding of the nuances of the game...

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SunDSolar said:

This offense is way to conservative and this lacks the boot to throat mentality that winning playoff teams must have.

Just look at the play call with 32 seconds left in the half.   You come out of a timeout and call a run play.  What the ***** was that about.  This gave us only one shot at the endzone, instead of what should have been multiple tries at it.   

Of course the very next play Josh Allen took that one shot, made an absolutely perfect throw, put it on Duke Williams and he dropped it.  

This run call was the beginning of the end for this team in this game.  

Yep, you're 100% spot on. And that conservatism/idiocy is on McDummy, and no one else.

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

bull####, Allen has shown the ability when the O C trusts him to get it done and the offensive line actually gives him the time to get it done. But terrible execution or poor play calling inside the 30 often leads to 3rd and long where the line can’t handle the blitz and the receivers get zero separation. He threw  two dimes one to brown and one to Williams that were both dropped and cost us 8 points. We abandoned the running game in overtime for only god knows why. This is just drivel from another Josh Allen hater with little understanding of the nuances of the game...

Or someone that is calling Josh Allen’s second half what it was - an absolute meltdown.  He played poorly

Just now, John in Jax said:

Yep, you're 100% spot on. And that conservatism/idiocy is on McDummy, and no one else.

more excuses for Allen

Just now, Phil The Thrill said:

Or someone that is calling Josh Allen’s second half what it was - an absolute meltdown.  He played poorly

Yeah and the rest of the offense and defense played great. :lol:

I was really happy with the season til yesterday. 

The players didn't screw this game up,the coaches did.

Leaving tre on an island with Hopkins so you could repeatedly blitz Hyde was the dumbest thing to do 2nd half

They run when they shouldn't and throw when they should run..

It sucks that the coaches had their worst 2nd half adjustments yesterday,and that is a problem that needs to be fixed asap

• Awesome! (+1) 1