Who would you rather be a fan of today?

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You preach Growth Mindset Coach. Let’s see it in terms of yourself and staff we haven’t seen it yet

I think he has.

In my opinion, just like any new managers job.

First year, analyze, put your plan into action, understand what you have to work with, adjust where you can without creating turmoil.

Second year, Make adjustments based upon previous year (ie. Changed OC) clean up the junk (ie. contracts and people that don't buy into your plan) bring in a couple of guys to call your own (ie. Edmunds, Allen) and solidify the Defense (his strength).

Third year, culture is in place. Improve on weaknesses (ie. Offense) add some depth and versatility (OL) consistency on both Offense and Defense (ie. coaching and terminology)

2020 should be the year to really see if the Bills have it right and the correct people in place.

Just my thoughts though. 

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who'd you rather be a fan of today? The Bills or:

The Patriots?

The Jets?

The Fish?

And that's just in our division. I'd rather be in OUR position than any of theirs.

OK, too small of a sample size for you? Well, how about we widen our search to the broader AFC as a whole:

Ravens?

Bengals?

Browns?

Steelers?

Texans?

Titans?

Colts?

Jaguars?

Chargers?

Raiders?

Broncos?

Chiefs?

Even on THAT list, I'd probably only want to swap places with the Chiefs, MAYBE the Ravens (based on coaching alone),  and possibly the Titans. That's it.  By my reckoning, the Bills' situation is better than TWELVE other AFC teams, which puts them in a really sweet spot at the moment. I know that spewing bile and raw emotion is all the rage these days and that logic and reason take a back seat more often than not. But if you look at the REALLY big picture, the Bills are in a pretty good place today with Beane and McDermott. Blowing all of it up would be a blunder of EPIC proportions.

The unfortunate part is that we have a much harder schedule next season:

49ers, Seahawks, Chiefs, Titans, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Rams, Steelers.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-2020-opponents-feature-afc-west-nfc-west

ctaw7mhwr7x4iwqtsmt4.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Camisado said:

49ers, Seahawks, Chiefs, Titans, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Rams, Steelers.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-2020-opponents-feature-afc-west-nfc-west

ctaw7mhwr7x4iwqtsmt4.jpg

And we know that all those teams will be exactly what they were this year, and that the Bills won't improve at all, right? The prediction game in January is a fruitless one.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John in Jax said:

Great post, and I agree 100%. It seems pretty clear too. Sadly, too many people in here have on their red/blue blinders. LOL

Oh, please. Some of you are so condescendingly childish, it's borderline embarrassing.

Here's a little pathway to better understanding.

When it comes to being a Bills fan, ask yourself a few questions.

Question 1: Can you change the team? Hint; the answer is no. You, yourself, can literally do nothing to change this team. No matter how smart you think you are for not wearing blinders, you can't change the team. Even if you quit being a fan and cancel your tickets, it doesn't change the team. Nothing you, personally, can do can change the team.

Question 2: Since you can't change the team, can you live with it? It's a yes or no question. If the answer is no, then stop being a fan. If the answer is yes, then why in the holy hell would you care whether someone is wearing blinders? Because you think you're somehow smarter than the fans who choose to be homers?

Believe me, the absolute opposite is true. If you can't change it and you won't stop being a fan, try giving up on standing in judgement of people just because you incorrectly believe yourself to be the smarter fan.

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And we know that all those teams will be exactly what they were this year, and that the Bills won't improve at all, right? The prediction game in January is a fruitless one.

I don't agree Joe. Normally you have a pretty good feel. There is always one or two teams who are better or worse (Steelers lose their QB for example) but generally when I have thought "tough slate" that is how it has worked out and vice versa 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I get fed up with people talking down other QBs as a defence of Josh Allen. Josh had a decent game last night. Very good first half, so-so after that but was not the reason we lost. Why people want to defend him by having a go at Watson who had a poor first half and an outstanding second half I have no idea. And Watson didn't have a turnover actually. Hopkins had a turnover. 

The people trying to prop up Allen by talking down other QBs are doing themselves and the fan base a disservice. Let's talk about Allen on Allen's merits. The mitigations for Allen last night are about our team. They are not "oh well Deshaun Watson took some bad sacks first half too." 

It is the most irritating part of Bills fans. And it isn't just an Allen thing either. It happened when Tyrod was here too. The crazy talking down of other Quarterbacks. 

So defensive. I'm a Watson fan. He's a great QB. I'm saying that he didn't have a great game by his standards. Even in the last quarter and OT he left plenty out on the field. He gave the Bills just as many extra chances to win as the Bills gave him. He extended plays brilliantly but he can play So much better. That's not to denigrate him, we both know that he's played better. 

I was responding to your assertion that the Texans were better and am not at all making excuses for Josh- so you're wrong about that 

I accept your correction on the turnover, but you berate me for making excuses for Allen and miss my point. Their numbers aren't disimilar for the game. You are giving credit to Watson for the same things you are criticising Allen. What did Allen do well you ask? Third and long completions- he had more than Watson. Running threat he was better -I'm not talking about scrambling here. Authoring long clock eating drives down the pitch. He led a 4th quarter comeback to tie the game. Texans get a few broken plays with dump off passes and YAC with multiple missed tackles and its-"wow Watson is so great". 

Just now, Seoulofstone said:

So defensive. I'm a Watson fan. He's a great QB. I'm saying that he didn't have a great game by his standards. Even in the last quarter and OT he left plenty out on the field. He gave the Bills just as many extra chances to win as the Bills gave him. He extended plays brilliantly but he can play So much better. That's not to denigrate him, we both know that he's played better. 

I was responding to your assertion that the Texans were better and am not at all making excuses for Josh- so you're wrong about that 

I accept your correction on the turnover, but you berate me for making excuses for Allen and miss my point. Their numbers aren't disimilar for the game. You are giving credit to Watson for the same things you are criticising Allen. What did Allen do well you ask? Third and long completions- he had more than Watson. Running threat he was better -I'm not talking about scrambling here. Authoring long clock eating drives down the pitch. He led a 4th quarter comeback to tie the game. Texans get a few broken plays with dump off passes and YAC with multiple missed tackles and its-"wow Watson is so great". 

I have not berated anyone for making excuses for Allen. There were plenty to make and I have made them myself elsewhere. But they are about the support he go from our team and coaches. What I have and will continue to call people out on is trying to deride other Quarterbacks to make some sort of "we don't have it too bad" argument. 

The main reason Houston won yesterday was the fantastic performance of Watson down the stretch. He was not good first half. But he made the plays to drag them back and to win them the game. He was the single biggest contributer.  And then you get Bills fans saying "yea well he didn't do much." It is a defense mechanism and a really poor one. 

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have not berated anyone for making excuses for Allen. 

I assumed that your comments were directed at me, since you quote me.

What I have and will continue to call people out on is trying to deride other Quarterbacks to make some sort of "we don't have it too bad" argument. 

That was not my intent here.

He was not good first half. But he made the plays to drag them back and to win them the game. He was the single biggest contributer.  And then you get Bills fans saying "yea well he didn't do much." It is a defense mechanism and a really poor one. 

Is this directed at me? Look all I can say is that I don't think Watson had his best game by a long stretch. Saying a QB was the biggest single contributor to a victory doesn't move the needle for me because when is that not true in playoff football?  Again if we're being completely fair many times on TBD have I seen credit taken away from Josh for wins and given to the team, but for opposition QBs it's always the other way round.

Watson made some great plays but for me this is a case of history remembers the winners. If you disagree with that opinion and think I use it as a way to defend Josh's inadequacies that's fine, but incorrect in this case.

Edited by Seoulofstone

3 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I assumed that your comments were directed at me, since you quote me.

That was not my intent here.

Is this directed at me? Look all I can say is that I don't think Watson had his best game by a long stretch. Saying a QB was the biggest single contributor to a victory doesn't move the needle for me because when is that not true in playoff football?  Again if we're being completely fair many times on TBD have I seen credit taken away from Josh for wins and given to the team, but for opposition QBs it's always the other way round.

Watson made some great plays but for me this is a case of history remembers the winners. If you disagree with that opinion and think I use it as a way to defend Josh's inadequacies that's fine.

I do think it is a way of defending Josh - yes. But I haven't berated anyone for defending him. What I have called out is people attacking others as a mechanism for doing it. 

46 minutes ago, Camisado said:

ctaw7mhwr7x4iwqtsmt4.jpg

Our schedule will be the same as every AFCE team except for 2 games. It will be tougher but no tougher than our other division opponents. 

We are better setup for the next 3 years than any AFCE team. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think he has.

In my opinion, just like any new managers job.

First year, analyze, put your plan into action, understand what you have to work with, adjust where you can without creating turmoil.

Second year, Make adjustments based upon previous year (ie. Changed OC) clean up the junk (ie. contracts and people that don't buy into your plan) bring in a couple of guys to call your own (ie. Edmunds, Allen) and solidify the Defense (his strength).

Third year, culture is in place. Improve on weaknesses (ie. Offense) add some depth and versatility (OL) consistency on both Offense and Defense (ie. coaching and terminology)

2020 should be the year to really see if the Bills have it right and the correct people in place.

Just my thoughts though. 

Three years later and he is the same conservative sit on a lead and play defense coach he has been. So tell me when is he going to have growth mindset?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Three years later and he is the same conservative sit on a lead and play defense coach he has been. So tell me when is he going to have growth mindset?

Without looking it up, I think we go for it on 4th more than we used to, but that is all I got. I do understand that he wants to rely on the strength of the team and limit mistakes on the weaker area of the team, but even when the offense is moving the ball - he slows it down kills to offensive rhythm and we are unable to get going again when we need to - the offense is not allowed (or simply can't) put teams away.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Without looking it up, I think we go for it on 4th more than we used to, but that is all I got. I do understand that he wants to rely on the strength of the team and limit mistakes on the weaker area of the team, but even when the offense is moving the ball - he slows it down kills to offensive rhythm and we are unable to get going again when we need to - the offense is not allowed (or simply can't) put teams away.

Second most of any team in the NFL, actually...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree Joe. Normally you have a pretty good feel. There is always one or two teams who are better or worse (Steelers lose their QB for example) but generally when I have thought "tough slate" that is how it has worked out and vice versa 

How many teams lose their franchise QB or another key player? How many teams this past year had moments where they were hot and moments when they were abysmal? How can we not know that Bills will raise their game when they have the opportunity with a tougher schedule?

Few people predicted a Buff win in Pitt this time last year. The point is circumstances change as will a great many variables before the Bills next play. 

The funny thing is that a statement of a tough schedule is a no lose assessment. If the Bills are terrible you are correct. If the Bills are good, you can still say you were correct, but that the Bills rose to the occasion. Unless you can predict the future you don't know and the only purpose it serves is to act as a justification for whatever off season agenda you prescribe.

Edited by Seoulofstone