The Lateral

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're both nuts.  He threw the lateral while falling to the ground after the hit.  It was careless and I'm sure he could take that decision back if he could.  Just a lack of situational awareness as we had enough time left.

I’ve been a Josh Allen fan since late last season. I doubted the pick, but came around after watching him last season. I’m more hopeful for the future than I ever was with our other QB’s. However, I learned yesterday that some fans will always wear Bills goggles. You can’t say anything truthful about some players performances without absurd excuses. Everyone who isn’t a Bills fan saw Allen playing spastic football In the second half where he looked an ultra talented guy who was just learning how to play the game. We still have a bright future, but Allen has a lot to learn. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise. That lateral was one of the worst mental errors I’ve seen in the postseason. 

50 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t care so much about the lateral.  Will someone please explain to me what on Earth he was doing throwing to the FB in double coverage in OT?  There was no reason to do that and it led me to conclude that Allen was concussed.

jokes aside, on that Cunningham hit he may have been and I was a little surprised they didn’t check him - though it’d take A LOT for the official to make that call

50 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t care so much about the lateral.  Will someone please explain to me what on Earth he was doing throwing to the FB in double coverage in OT?  There was no reason to do that and it led me to conclude that Allen was concussed.

Almost no doubt he was concussed on that QB sweep where he was drilled helmet to helmet.

Please i see players do that all the time and people love them for it when it goes correctly. Only issue was Knox wasnt expecting it and instead of going towards open field he went towards Allen and pitch went over his head.

If he had hit Knox... everyone would have loved the play saying how he is so creative and can see things that others cant. In retrospect it was a harmless play that lost 3 to 4 yards of field position. 

Upon review of the play...

Allen last eye checks with Knox while Allen is on the run an at roughly 30-31 yard line.

Allen then is hit, does a 360 and laterals at the 48-49.

So...roughly 20 yards after last seeing Knox, Allen assumes Knox is anywhere near him?  Just doesn’t add up that this was anyway a plan.

• Like (+1) 1

Knox was not in the clear. Can we stop with that false narrative?

Can we also stop trying to justify one of the dumbest damned things I have ever witnessed happen on a football field?

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Allen did take a shot to the head on one of his runs in the game. I’ll have to look to see if the horrible decision making started after that.  It would make a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, nkreed said:

Almost no doubt he was concussed on that QB sweep where he was drilled helmet to helmet.

That’s the play I was thinking of.  I was surprised he wasn’t checked out by the medical people after that. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... the play did stop the clock, which the Bills needed ...

It was a crazy play but the ball going OB basically gave us a free timeout when we had none. That was actually pretty huge as a ton of time would have ran off the clock if Josh was tackled in bounds.

Edited by Real McNasty

If Nathan Peterman or any other quarterback we've had makes that play, darn near this entire board would be saying to get rid of them. For whatever reason Josh gets a pass on this site. People are afraid to admit when he makes bonehead plays. Instead they blame the fat guys up front or the offensive coordinator. Make no mistake about it if Josh doesn't improve next year we are in deep trouble. So far he does not look like a quarterback capable of winning a championship despite his off the charts athleticism.

14 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

It was a crazy play but the ball going OB basically gave us a free timeout when we had none. That was actually pretty huge as a ton of time would have ran off the clock if Josh was tackled in bounds.

Sure, but it just as easily could have been a penalty if Knox doesn't touch it or a turnover if the Texans get to it, and we had enough time on the clock to not take that risk.

16 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Sure, but it just as easily could have been a penalty if Knox doesn't touch it or a turnover if the Texans get to it, and we had enough time on the clock to not take that risk.

We didn't have enough time on the clock with 1 min and no timeouts around the 50. 

What penalty?

Didn't we tie the game and go to OT?

It's like saying, Josh almost lost the ball or we almost won the game. 

45 minutes ago, jaybee said:

If Nathan Peterman or any other quarterback we've had makes that play, darn near this entire board would be saying to get rid of them. For whatever reason Josh gets a pass on this site. People are afraid to admit when he makes bonehead plays. Instead they blame the fat guys up front or the offensive coordinator. Make no mistake about it if Josh doesn't improve next year we are in deep trouble. So far he does not look like a quarterback capable of winning a championship despite his off the charts athleticism.

Plenty of people are justifiably blaming Allen for that stupid play.

Plenty of people are also justifiably not hopping off the kids bandwagon.

He has a lot to learn. The tools are there. Lets hope he develops upstairs.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, StHustle said:

Wow. What a brazen attempt to sugar coat s*** right here. Sad part is I know you actually believe what you are saying. TERRIBLE decision by a professional QB in that situation. He unnecessarily put the whole game at risk with that decision. You simply CANNOT make such boneheaded, backyard football decisions. That was like preseason rookie mistake stuff right there.

He was going g to Knox.  Knox blew this game period if you also look to overtime when they called the run off tackle all knox had to do is block the defensive back and josh would have gone to the end zone.  This dawson knox is so overrated give me sweeney over knox.

5 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Tre did a very similar thing after a game sealing int earlier this year and they said he gave himself up. That in no way should be a touchdown, it would have been garbage.

Completely different situation as it was an INT ( the rules don’t call for a signal from an intercepting player fo obvious reasons) and White made no effort to advance the ball. He may have even went to the ground. In this case the ruling would have been correct and absolutely should have been a TD for the Bills. If it was the other way around, the TD would have stood and the Bills coaching and player would be skewered for not knowing the rules. 

The lateral was a reckless play in many ways, but it did not cost the Bills this football game. It didn’t even cost them the chance to win , so it’s pretty pointless to think of what calamity may have happened if HOU recovers, etc. 

It was dumb play that ended up working out for us because I think it stopped the clock right? I absolutely love Allen and as weird as it sounds it's plays like that that make me love him. Dude is so unpredictable. As I said early in the season I think after the Bengals game, the guy will absolutely rip our hearts out in some games with his hero ball mentality. But he'll also lead us to about an equal number of victories over his career in Buffalo with that same mentality. Learn to love it Bills fans! 

9 hours ago, BillsGuyOutWest said:

Call me as crazy as the decision itself, but I think you got to credit Josh’ for his killer instinct going for that lateral at the end of regulation. 

It appeared Knox clear path to the end zone and a full head of steam. If they connect, it’d be the next Minneapolis miracle and you’d see it replayed every year during playoff time.  

Also, unless Allen completely lost his mind, my assumption is the lateral  is something they’d at least messed around with in practice before. I can’t see It being a completely rogue decision on the fly. Knox didn’t do him any favors by looking as bewildered as the rest of the country, but that’s probably more due to the pressure of the moment.  

That’s just the way Allen plays, he wants to win no matter what it takes. Whatever the hell it is he has will alternately frustrate you and dazzle you. We saw what “ball control” got us at the end anyway. The simple fact is the longer you let teams hang around, the more vulnerable you become  to bad calls, bad bounces, etc. Good on him for trying to put it away right there. 

All this at the end of the day  is supposed to be entertainment, give me one of the most exciting players in the league with a ton of upside as our QB and I’ll gladly strap in and enjoy the ride when he decides to try and flip the next one.  

Its a good thing that my head is shaved because pulling my hair would have been my first reaction after watching this bone headed play , so instead I yelled and scared the living crap out of dog