The Lateral

26 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Josh took a 20 yard sack on 4th and 23 that almost ended the game except BOB inexplicably went for it on 4th and 1.

Lotta wild stuff in that 2nd half, this included. Saw some things I’ve never seen before in a game, let alone a playoff game. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MJS said:

I seem to remember a famous lateral pass for a TD as the receiver was being tackled. Can't remember who it was, though. I believe they threw it backwards over their head while being tackled.

EDIT: It was Randy Moss I think.

Yup.  Moss was being tackled in bounds with the clock down to zero at the end of the half and he lateraled it behind his head for the td.  Brilliant play.

1 hour ago, PolishPrince said:

Ah sweet prince of 80's media. You are right, the play totally effected the game. I wont pick on you too much for your many late ***** remakes, but thank god the play had 0 bearing on the outcome of the game. But please, like the others lets keep nitpicking this Josh Allen play trying to win vs 5 linemen, losing to a 3 man rush within a second when the game is on the line... or Singletary rushing for less attempts than Hyde... or the bogus blindside block, or the taking 6 pts off board when Houston KR forgot the rules. You are right, the lateral was the play to define it all - when it meant nothing with the outcome.

How do you view Watson's potential pick 6 that Siran Neal (our lke 5th string CB) dropped at their own 25? It was a play that happened that ended up having 0 bearing on the game. Imagine if Houston lost, and their fans go "man deshaun watson almost threw that pick six!" its the same thing. a possible bust play that didnt even happen, yet thats what we are latching on to lol... but yes this is all because of "Polish people." 

Tre did a very similar thing after a game sealing int earlier this year and they said he gave himself up. That in no way should be a touchdown, it would have been garbage.

• Like (+1) 1

On the play Allen was tackled at around the 50 and there was 1:04 on the clock so there was no need for any type of desperation play at that point.  And Knox's path to the end zone about 55 yards away was not clear as there we 3 or 4 defenders up-field closing on the play.  If you watch the play over Josh fakes a lateral over initially then tosses the ball while being brought to the ground.  In that situation it was a foolish and unnecessary risk.  Knox's reaction to the ball bouncing on the turf was heads up thinking.   

That said there were a lot of takeaways for Allen in this game and it will be a learning experience going into next season.  His hero ball skills can be a good thing but he needs to dial it back a bit and pick his spots.  In that situation the risk was clearly higher than the reward. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Crybaby.

i think  he panicked, but the funny thing is if it’s a better lateral, the sports world is abuzz with the gutsy brilliance of the young Qb. 

The criers are really the ones defending every move he makes, good bad or otherwise. It’s infantile fanboyism. Not sure what sports “world” you live on but i am assuming it’s somewhere inside your own head.

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t care so much about the lateral.  Will someone please explain to me what on Earth he was doing throwing to the FB in double coverage in OT?  There was no reason to do that and it led me to conclude that Allen was concussed.

They dropped at least 8 guys into overage so there just wasn't much to pick from first of all.  And if you look at the play DiMarco had position on the two guys.  He jumps a fraction of a second later he catches the ball.

People yell all the time about giving your guys a chance to make a play.  Allen did and he gets criticized for that as well, I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

The criers are really the ones defending every move he makes, good bad or otherwise. It’s infantile fanboyism. Not sure what sports “world” you live on but i am assuming it’s somewhere inside your own head.

I wasn’t arguing with you, I was poking fun at you weeping for the future. But since you bring it up, that is less infantile fanboy and more overly dramatic 13 years old middle school girl. 

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t care so much about the lateral.  Will someone please explain to me what on Earth he was doing throwing to the FB in double coverage in OT?  There was no reason to do that and it led me to conclude that Allen was concussed.

It’s all coaching...Josh doesn’t make bad decisions.  Not on him

42 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

were lucky Texans defenders can’t catch.... also, if a chubby FB is doubled, who is open on that play somewhere on the field 

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I think you might be on to something here.  And for the record over the many years I've watched college & pro football I've seen that play made a number of times.  In fact it used to be standard procedure for the trailing guy like Knox to hang back in the expectation that the runner might lateral the ball.  I think other old timers would agree that this is how it used to be done.

My guess is Allen had two thoughts that triggered the lateral:

1)  the first was to get the ball out of bounds

2) the 2nd was that Allen probably noticed that there was nothing between Knox and the end zone.  Sure they would have probably run him down but who knows.  And gaining 20 more yards and getting out of bounds isn't such a bad thing.

Bottom line is that the play did no damage and might have been huge if Allen/Knox had pulled it off.

giving josh a lot of credit for being cool, calm, aware of the entire field and making calculated decisions during an absolute melt down. 

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They dropped at least 8 guys into overage so there just wasn't much to pick from first of all.  And if you look at the play DiMarco had position on the two guys.  He jumps a fraction of a second later he catches the ball.

People yell all the time about giving your guys a chance to make a play.  Allen did and he gets criticized for that as well, I guess.

that guy isn’t your FB with 3 yards/game average. You let brown and beas make plays.

• Like (+1) 1