"A Coaching Clinic in Bizarro World" - Coaching Extends Drought

Just now, Doc Brown said:

It showed me he didn't have a lot of faith in his kicker or punter.  Also, you think you're going to get a PI when they haven't called one in play penalty on the Texans all day?

Hausch can't hit beyond 50 and our punter blows. Still should have punted....

I was simply stating that you left PI out - it was never going to be called even if it occurred

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think some aspects of Daboll's playbook are bad - or maybe you wouldn't call it the playbook, the personnel decisions.  He's too cute.  "I know, let's send DiMarco, they won't expect that"

If DiMarco were outplaying Knox all season, why have we seen Knox all season?  Was Knox banged up or something?  It's mind-boggling.

These stubborn coaches have their favorites.  Gore, Dimarco, Lee Smith, Kroft. They get to play well beyond their limited productive value based on the same stupid loyalty that kept Peterman & Zay on this team so long. That same ridiculous loyalty doesn't exist in Belichick's world. Sitting Duke and TJ all season serves these guys right. Stupid is as stupid does.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I was simply stating that you left PI out - it was never going to be called even if it occurred

Unless you're defending the Hal Mary in Foxboro.  :) 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Our punter only blows, sometimes...it is so strange.  He is so inconsistent.  He had a couple of really great games this year, but you can almost bank on it that he will have one awful kick per game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This article got referenced in the "Allen tried to do too much" thread, but I thought it was very on-point and deserved more looks.

I think it's, unfortunately, quite on-point.  Discuss!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-playoffs-2020-bills-sean-mcdermott-coach-bad-calls/1hmflvozh6wsi1vbwi4iax3o7v

Yeah I Completely agree. It’s really sad to read but definitely on point. 

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Some guys are good teachers and leaders, but not game managers.  This is where I am with Dabol, it's not that his offense playbook is bad, I just don't think Dabol is a good playcaller.  There's a difference.

Same here, and I have felt this way for most of the year. Daboll can come up with some real offensive wizardry and cool unique plays, but there are times when I think he seems more dedicated to proving how unique is offensive play calls can be while showing a stubborn disconnection with what is happening on the field; What is working, what isn't working, how is the o-line holding up, how Allen is holding up, etc...

Well, got to let this one go and at least NE crapped the bed at home... makes this a slightly easier pill to swallow.

Image result for Clearly you have a dizzying intellect

• Like (+1) 1

While I do agree with several points in the article, particularly the clock management at the end of the half when they call a run with 30 seconds left and certainly going for it on 4th and 27, I don't think it's wrong to run Gore.

We constantly hear on here how they pass too much, and how they need to run more to take the burden off Allen. And then when they do that and it doesn't work you hear the opposite. And then we hear others saying we run too much and need to put it in Allen's hands ... but when they do that and it doesn't work, then again it was a bad play call.

As long as they pass sometimes with Gore in there so it isn't a giveaway that when he's in there it means a run is coming, I don't mind them running him sometimes. Make a hole and he does the job.

He does need to work on clock management. I'd expect him to realize that in his review of the game. I hope we'll see some changes. But this isn't a dynamic offense - it doesn't have the personnel or the experience just yet - and that's going to come out sometimes.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

On McDermott's decision to go for it on 4th and 27:

"It might have been the single worst decision any coach made in any NFL game this season."

Ouch!

McDermott has made too many in-game tactical errors for too long for anyone to argue this sort of thing is his strong suit.  

It's almost as bad as his challenge record.

That play, yeah, have to agree. Even if you miss the FG from there they were in a better place after the 2nd sack. By the way, what happened to our line on those two plays, on both, multiple defenders running untouched towards the QB????

• Like (+1) 2

There's plenty of blame to go around tbh.

The second half and OT, seemed a bit like an exhibition of shooting ourselves collectively in the foot.

Poor play calling lead to some of the time management issues.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing a soft zone coverage on 3rd and 18, providing you don't drop all the way beyond the 18 yards needed, fcol. Someone, somewhere, needs to be looking at the sticks and making sure the drop is 3 yards before, not after. Right play called, awful execution.

Similarly with the blitz that Watson escaped to set up the OT FG winner. Great play called, but another combination of poor execution (tackling), and a good job by Watson, and the game is done.

I don't think it was wrong of McDermott to answer the question as he did. Allen did try to do too much. But as others have pointed out, it was largely as a result of poor play calling on the early downs. The perpetual run up the middle on 1st down for 1 yard (if we were lucky) immediately gets you looking for harder plays to get your yardage.

Defensively, I think we generally do a good job. We could do with being more consistently aggressive with additional blitzes, but for the most part the balance isn't too bad. We have given ourselvesproblems by going to 'prevent' too early in some games, but the D is more than capable of making RZ stops to leave just FGs as an option, so we get away with it somewhat.

Offensively, I'm not too sure what the plan is, because we regularly go from stuff that is working to extremely vanilla.

I don't know what it is that makes them like it, but you too often see OCs in the NFL, get so cute they fool nobody, except themselves, by thinking that bad plays called will work, when they haven't all game.

I do like a lot of the play design by Daboll, but I don't like the notion that we only play 'proper' offense, to get a lead, at which point it's stick it up the jersey, and let the D do its thing. We might need more talent on offense (we do for sure, it was a figure of speech), but there's still enough there to be continuing to try and make plays, rather than simply control clock.

• Like (+1) 2

Look there were some bad coaching decisions. The Gore run at the end of the first half was a nonsense and they got away from Singletary completely after half time which was a mistake. 

But I always believe that while coaching matters, talent matters more. Sean McDermott didn't fail to toe tap inside the 5. Brian Daboll didn't drop the ball in the endzone. Leslie Frazier didn't panic on 3rd and 18 and lose sight of the sticks. Ken Dorsey didn't spin like a top, run towards his own endzone and take back breaking sacks / penalties twice in a row. That was all the players. Even the drive when we punted early in the 2nd half was just a wrong read by Allen on a 3rd down RPO. He gives to Singletary who runs into the pile when the keeper was wide, wide open for a 1st down. 

I believe fans look at coaches because often it is the easier fix. Replace Brian Daboll and the offense immediately improves. Maybe. He certainly hasn't convinced anyone he is the answer. But I don't believe anyone else could make a top half of the league offense out of these pieces either. 

Coaching matters. It always matters. But in the end talent wins. The more talented football team won last night. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

We had 172 yards rushing and averaged 5.7 yards a carry.  No, it's not outrageous to think Singletary who was averaging 4.7 yards a carry, could pick up yards on the inside. (he did so multiple times with shifty moves) 

Gore averaged just under 3 yards per carry at 2.7.  Not outrageous to hand him the ball either. 

The thought process was simple, they didn't want negative plays or long distance 3rd downs. 

If you get little to nothing on 1st, then allow Allen the chance to throw on 2nd and not get anything, you've just created a 3rd and long. 

Some coaching decisions were insane....like the 4 and 20 something...I was pulling my hair out, but...this "conservative" approach is nothing more than not having real confidence in Josh Allen. 

Josh melted down in the second half and IMO, they called plays accordingly to shield him. 

Edited by TwistofFate

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Am I the only one who thinks it was Allen who audibled into the Gore runs?  He yelled “KILL KILL” both times, suggesting the play that was called was a pass and he called it off.

I have to say I didn't notice it at the time. When you say both which is the other one? I will try and watch back. 

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

After the Hopkins fumble.  Might’ve been Singletary.  Both times I thought he checked to the run.

Just checked the first one. Allen definitely kills whatever the call was. I suspect you are right. The two yard Gore run looks as if it was on Josh not the coaches. 

The second one are you thinking play before the Watt sack? I don't even think running it there was a particularly bad call - people can't believe both that we got away from the run too much and at the same time that running once in three plays inside the 15 was too conservative. As for whether Allen changed the play he is definitely shouting something at the line. I think it was an "Alert" to change the protections though rather than a "Kill" to change the play. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1