2019 Buffalo Bills: Were they Paper Tigers?

Wins
S. Darnold (Established/Entrenched Starter)
E. Manning (Benched/Back-Up)
Andy Dalton (Benched/Back-Up)
M.Mariota (Benched/Back-Up)
R. Fitz (Back Up)
D. Haskins (Rookie/Back-Up)
R. Fitz (Back-Up)
B. Allen (Back-Up)
D. Prescott (Established/Entrenched Starter)
D. Hodges (Back-Up)

Loses
T. Brady (Established/Entrenched Starter)
C. Wentz (Established/Entrenched Starter)
B. Mayfield (Established/Entrenched Starter)
L. Jackson (Established/Entrenched Starter)

T. Brady (Established/Entrenched Starter)
D. Watson (Established/Entrenched Starter)

8-0 against the backups or benched

2-6 against the established starters

1 single victory against a team with a winning record.  And that was with their now benched and soon to be released QB.

Is it possible buffalos meagerness and our football teams ineptness for 20 plus years have made us such love able losers that folks just pull the blinds over their eyes to avoid that this team are 

Frankly, I could never really understand the hoopla over beating Dallas or Pittsburgh.

I just see a team that really has a long way to go when it comes to WINNING (not losing in the final minutes, let’s be clear what really matters) but WINNING against the Real QBs in this league.

And Coach McDermotts Offense averaging 19.87 for the season (won’t count JETS Finale) just isn’t my cup of tea.  Nor is his Career Offense Average points per game at roughly 18.5 anything to sing songs about.

We can beat the dregs of the league...now take the next step PLEASE!

?

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Paper tigers who everyone predicted would win 6 or less games? Do you know what a paper tiger is?

It would be a pretty standard definition of the term “paper tiger” to say a 10-6 team, who fans and local media began to believe was more of an elite 14-2 caliber team save a few bad breaks, was actually more like an 8-8 slightly above average caliber team, which is exactly what the OP is saying. So yes, I believe they do know what a “paper tiger” is.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Paper tigers who everyone predicted would win 6 or less games? Do you know what a paper tiger is?

i do...but for benefit I looked it up.  Here you go:

Paper-Tiger or Paper Dragon:

Webster defines is as a NFL team who is 8-0 against the bottom feeders and bench warmers and 2-6 against Established/Entrenched Starters.

Now that’s only ONE definition, but with the internet, I think you can find more.  ?

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, eanyills said:

It would be a pretty standard definition of the term “paper tiger” to say a 10-6 team, who fans and local media began to believe was more of an elite 14-2 caliber team save a few bad breaks, was actually more like an 8-8 slightly above average caliber team, which is exactly what the OP is saying. So yes, I believe they do know what a “paper tiger” is.

Nobody except Bills fans believed in this team before the season. Nobody believed the Bills were elite or anything close to a 14-2 caliber team except Bills fans after the season.

Most assumed we might beat the Texans because they aren't a great team and perform badly in the playoffs (and we almost did beat them), but most would have assumed we'd get stomped in future rounds. I think the results were exactly on par with the national perspective of this team in the playoffs, and way higher given the perspective of the team before the season.

So no. The Bills are not a paper tiger.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, ToGoGo said:

Don't think so. We overachieved, if anything. The Browns were a paper tiger. 

Bingo. This one knows what the term means. Browns are a perfect example. Cowboys are another example. Rams another.

These are teams everyone thought were dangerous but turned out not to be (much like a tiger made of paper, which at first seems dangerous until you realize it is made of paper)

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, eanyills said:

That was the strong narrative going into the Eagles game.  Would Buffalo rise up and beat a team with actual talent and something on the line?  No, they didn’t.

and then for some reason that narrative seemed to die down.  I think it was mostly folks just didn’t want to seem like wet blankets and spoil a ride that a large portion of this fan base has never been on.

But then it all vanished after Dallas.  If you viewed on the broadcast tonight, they put buffalos BIG WINS as Dallas and Pittsburgh...both 8-8 clubs and one with a 3rd round QB.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

I know what one is and think Patriots fit the description more than the Bills.

they both are IMO.

It took future hall of Famers Deshaun Watkins Nuke Hopkins and JJ Watt OT, at home, with some help from the officials, and the dumbest 3rd and 18 conversion ever, to beat a team that at least offensively (9 new faces) was put together 8 months ago.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It took future hall of Famers Deshaun Watkins Nuke Hopkins and JJ Watt OT, at home, with some help from the officials, and the dumbest 3rd and 18 conversion ever, to beat a team that at least offensively (9 new faces) was put together 8 months ago.  

Watson a future hall of famer? I think it's a little early for that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Watson a future hall of famer? I think it's a little early for that.

No.  It isn't.  

Going to go well over 10,000 career yards passing and 100 TDs in his age 25 season. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No.  It isn't.  

Going to go well over 10,000 career yards passing and 100 TDs in his age 25 season. 

And then he could have his leg snapped in half and never be the same.

It's meaningless to try to make projections like that. But feel free.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Wins
S. Darnold (Established/Entrenched Starter)
E. Manning (Benched/Back-Up)
Andy Dalton (Benched/Back-Up)
M.Mariota (Benched/Back-Up)
R. Fitz (Back Up)
D. Haskins (Rookie/Back-Up)
R. Fitz (Back-Up)
B. Allen (Back-Up)
D. Prescott (Established/Entrenched Starter)
D. Hodges (Back-Up)

Loses
T. Brady (Established/Entrenched Starter)
C. Wentz (Established/Entrenched Starter)
B. Mayfield (Established/Entrenched Starter)
L. Jackson (Established/Entrenched Starter)

T. Brady (Established/Entrenched Starter)
D. Watson (Established/Entrenched Starter)

8-0 against the backups or benched

2-6 against the established starters

1 single victory against a team with a winning record.  And that was with their now benched and soon to be released QB.

Is it possible buffalos meagerness and our football teams ineptness for 20 plus years have made us such love able losers that folks just pull the blinds over their eyes to avoid that this team are 

Frankly, I could never really understand the hoopla over beating Dallas or Pittsburgh.

I just see a team that really has a long way to go when it comes to WINNING (not losing in the final minutes, let’s be clear what really matters) but WINNING against the Real QBs in this league.

And Coach McDermotts Offense averaging 19.87 for the season (won’t count JETS Finale) just isn’t my cup of tea.  Nor is his Career Offense Average points per game at roughly 18.5 anything to sing songs about.

We can beat the dregs of the league...now take the next step PLEASE!

?

Seeing this is not comforting I'll admit. Really the only win I really felt great about was the cowboys, not saying the cowboys were great but we showed up on the big stage and won. 1 win against a winning record hurts to say, but it's true we had maybe an easier path than most but hey we made the most of it and made playoffs and not seen as a joke, the Bill's are a respectable team at the least now.

Put it this way, if they were they will get found out next year. They still need to improve significantly offensively. The defense gave up more than 21 points 3 times all regular season which tied the 85 Bears. They gave up more than 24 once all season which is one fewer than the 85 Bears. The defense was extremely consistent in keeping games manageable. The only loss that was on them was Philly. The other 5 and last night are all on the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1