Perspective on the loss from 1989 - Ronnie Harmon

dtgolder

Tough loss today, and it reminded me quite a bit of 1989. For those too young (or not yet born) to remember, in 1989 the Bills were a promising young (but unproven) team on the rise.

Yet, a very tough playoff loss ended that season, much the same as today. So close in both cases...

There was lots of blame to go around too in 1989 (most focused perhaps unfairly on Harmon) and pretty much everyone had an opinion on what was wrong, and how awful things were after that loss.

But the core players (along with a great coach and GM, and a franchise QB) were there then, and they are now as well. A strong off-season, stable leadership that "stayed the course", coupled with a good draft in 1990 (adding a few key players like Lodish and Parker among others) and the Bills were on their way.

So yes this loss stings -- just like it did in 1989. But I wouldn't bet against Polian having a good draft, and I'm not betting against Beane.

And I wouldn't bet against Levy to coach and build a cohesive team, and I'm certainly not betting against McD.

And yes, I wouldn't bet against Kelly to lead that team, and neither will I bet against Josh to lead ours now.

So what will happen to the Bills in 2020? 

Of course no one can say, but I'll tell you for sure I'm looking forward to this off-season and this draft more than I have in many, many years.

Perhaps more than at any time since 1989....

#GoBills

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

Yeah there is similarity  I remember the Bills were a rising team  Think this one smarts because it just happened (obviously) and it follows a long stretch of terrible Bills teams. 

Agree, yet the Bills were awful for the 1970s and 1980s as well...

• Like (+1) 1

Almost every game this season was exactly the same. We either scored like 17, 18 or 19 and won...or scored like 17,18 or 19 and lost. Just not good enough. This team is way to limited on offense. Way to many settle for fg drives. Way to many wasted kill shot opportunities. Way to many times letting teams hang around. Start scoring touchdowns or we aren’t going anywhere further then this.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This game wasn’t a case of one player dropping a game winner with seconds remaining. Tonight there were proverbial drops of the ball all the way around. 

today we dropped that same ball many times  Had a lot of opportunities to get this one

9 minutes ago, dtgolder said:

Of course no one can say, but I'll tell you for sure I'm looking forward to this off-season and this draft more than I have in many, many years

I am with you. I am looking forward to the off season and next season as well. Hated the loss tonight; however, I believe this team is headed in the right direction.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dtgolder said:

Agree, yet the Bills were awful for the 1970s and 1980s as well...

Yeah I'm 50  so I didnt go through a stretch of 20 crappy seasons at that point  We were good for at least a year or two in 1980 or so  But I digress the mid 1980s were some "woof" teams  Also pre direct tv so I only saw a few games a season living out of the area  Easier to suffer just reading a box score back in those days

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Almost every game this season was exactly the same. We either scored like 17, 18 or 19 and won...or scored like 17,18 or 19 and lost. Just not good enough. This team is way to limited on offense. Way to many settle for fg drives. Way to many wasted kill shot opportunities. Way to many times letting teams hang around. Start scoring touchdowns or we aren’t going anywhere further then this.

This is very true.

I wish we could have a team that would friggin score points for once.  Our defense has been solid several times since 2000, but we've never been able to put together an offense that could get into a shootout or at the very least score 20+ points consistently.

They need to get Allen a decent TE and some WRs with size.  Just look at Duke - he's no superstar but damn he makes Allen look better.  I think doing this would have a major impact on the offense's ability to score points.

1 hour ago, dtgolder said:

Tough loss today, and it reminded me quite a bit of 1989. For those too young (or not yet born) to remember, in 1989 the Bills were a promising young (but unproven) team on the rise.

Yet, a very tough playoff loss ended that season, much the same as today. So close in both cases...

There was lots of blame to go around too in 1989 (most focused perhaps unfairly on Harmon) and pretty much everyone had an opinion on what was wrong, and how awful things were after that loss.

But the core players (along with a great coach and GM, and a franchise QB) were there then, and they are now as well. A strong off-season, stable leadership that "stayed the course", coupled with a good draft in 1990 (adding a few key players like Lodish and Parker among others) and the Bills were on their way.

So yes this loss stings -- just like it did in 1989. But I wouldn't bet against Polian having a good draft, and I'm not betting against Beane.

And I wouldn't bet against Levy to coach and build a cohesive team, and I'm certainly not betting against McD.

And yes, I wouldn't bet against Kelly to lead that team, and neither will I bet against Josh to lead ours now.

So what will happen to the Bills in 2020? 

Of course no one can say, but I'll tell you for sure I'm looking forward to this off-season and this draft more than I have in many, many years.

Perhaps more than at any time since 1989....

#GoBills

Comparing the 1989 Bills situation to the 2019 Bills is like comparing armaments in WWI with WWII.  Totally different situation.  Heck, there wasn't even full-fledged UFA in 1989.  

The league has evolved so much that there is no comparison here.  And, BTW, the previous season the "unproven" Bills has been 12-4 and reached the AFC Championship.  

The thing that makes it worse is the Bills Should have won. If they just would have gotten out of there own way and not make dumb decisions, they would have won it. They beat themselves. Big shame.