Duke today, did the bad outweigh the good?

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Duke was fine yesterday and one of his best catches was nullified by Krofts holding penalty. That catch alone, had it stood, would have sealed the game.

If Kroft is on this team next year at his salary I will have lost all faith in Beane.

Duke proved yesterday that he should have played all season. Benching him for Foster was detrimental to the team overall and a dumb personnel decision.  Trying to justify ST's over a WR was asinine. The coaches not explaining why they kept him inactive was  also inexcusable.  I think he should have had that TD yesterday but it was a difficult catch. Calling it a drop is idiotic. Watch the replay. It hits Duke in the hands just as the Texans Db comes flying in and hits Duke across the torso disrupting the play. There are not very many receivers in the league that make that catch and hold onto the ball and definitely nobody else on the team.  The 2nd so called "drop" play was excellent pass defense. Duke also made some nice grabs and had to deal with a couple of bad passes by Josh. This is what you expect from a #3 receiver and especially one who has ONLY PLAYED IN 5 GAMES ALL SEASON, but the illogical hatred for this guy on this board borders on insane. According to the Duke haters on this board, Duke shouldn't be on the team, Duke should catch every pass thrown to him, Duke should never celebrate, Duke is too slow, Duke never gets open. It goes on and on.

The most telling thing to me was, at the end of half and at the end of regulation, with only seconds remaining, Duke Williams was targeted in 4 of the 4 passes.  

It speaks volumes that our best option in those scenarios is a guy who was inactive the whole year.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it. But who on our team catches that ball as it was thrown? 

No excuses please. The endzone pass was a very catchable ball and should have been caught. That cost us 4 points and coupled with his other drops, he had a very negative effect on the outcome.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it. But who on our team catches that ball as it was thrown? 

no one. It’s a problem.

I would love to see some major upgrades in WR talent and probably tight end as well.

it was perfect as was the sideline ball to smoke Where he was completely unaware of the sideline. 

DeAndre made 3 or 4 yesterday that no one on the bills roster does and mostly against a first team all pro corner. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

It seems clear to me that Duke should have been playing ahead of Foster. Some of our resident expert talent evaluators now (reluctantly) concede this but the new fallback position is that he is a mediocrity who won't be on the roster next year. IMO we don't know exactly what he may be capable of or what he might have added to this O had he played earlier. 

The upcoming draft is great for WRs. I'd like to see the Bills draft one early and another in later rounds if a really promising prospect is still on the board, which could easily happen in this year's draft.

I expect Duke will compete for a spot and I'm certainly not assuming that he won't stick. I also think there is some duplication in our WR group. The punt/kick returner and the gadget play guy should be one roster spot, not two. That would create more space in staffing the WR corps. 

What completely puzzles me however is force feeding Duke reps yesterday after virtually ignoring him all year, and especially at Beasley's expense it would seem. Could be just another example of the team's disfunction on offence. I sometimes get the impression that some of Daboll's head scratchers are attempts to capitalize on the unexpected. So Romeo prepares for Beasley and gets Duke. That's not reason enuf to sit a good slot receiver who has some chemistry with Allen IMO. 

7 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'd like to see the Bills draft a WR1 and sign a veteran WR.  Pair these guys with Beasley and Brown for top 4 WRs.  Let Foster, Duke, and McKenzie battle for WR5.  Roberts would be WR6.

Foster is not battling for anything. There are backup dbs all over the NFL who can play gunner. Foster serves no purpose on this team anymore than Zay did.

17 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

I don’t think he’ll be on the team next year, but for only starting 3 games I think he produced better than expected. One drop was the DB knocking his hand after the ball was caught.

If he is,barring a huge improvement then the team didn't do enough to improve in the off season.

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

No excuses please. The endzone pass was a very catchable ball and should have been caught. That cost us 4 points and coupled with his other drops, he had a very negative effect on the outcome.

You literally quote me as saying "The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it." and then repeat what I said as if you are adding something new. According to your logic every pass should be caught, no matter the velocity, no matter the coverage, no matter the placement and like most of the Duke haters on this site you somehow expect a guy who played 5 games all season and was on the practice squad to make this catch no problem.  If you think that was an easy or routine catch, you know nothing about football.

18 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

You literally quote me as saying "The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it." and then repeat what I said as if you are adding something new. According to your logic every pass should be caught, no matter the velocity, no matter the coverage, no matter the placement and like most of the Duke haters on this site you somehow expect a guy who played 5 games all season and was on the practice squad to make this catch no problem.  If you think that was an easy or routine catch, you know nothing about football.

You lack football sense if you wish to believe Duke is the annoited one. He had what, 10 targets and caught 4? Yes, the endzone was a drop. That cost the Bills 4 points and was precisely the type of ball he was kept on the roster to make. Sorry, I wanted the best for him, it would have made a good story, but he was knee deep in the Bills mistakes Saturday.  A winnable game that needed a couple plays. 

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

You lack football sense if you wish to believe Duke is the annoited one. He had what, 10 targets and caught 4? Yes, the endzone was a drop. That cost the Bills 4 points and was precisely the type of ball he was kept on the roster to make. Sorry, I wanted the best for him, it would have made a good story, but he was knee deep in the Bills mistakes Saturday.  A winnable game that needed a couple plays. 

By your reasoning, any Bills WR that drops a TD pass doesn’t get a pass. Tell me, if you put Williams in Brown’s spot on the TD attempt against Baltimore, does Williams make that catch? 

Duke did fine and the targets affirm he was getting open and most importantly Josh trusted him.  Too bad McDermott thought otherwise all season  Coaching staff has a awful habit of sticking to their first narrative  I hope we see some growth in that facet for 2020