The 50/50 Ball to...DiMarco?

Bakin

On 1/5/2020 at 12:17 PM, buffalobillswin said:

It was a broken play that was extended due to no pressure. Dimarco was down there because the ball should have been out of Allen's hand quickly.

Yeah, an extended play. Not so much broken, maybe.

Also, sending an FB downfield can be a very smart move in that anyone downfield draws coverage and probably double coverage. DiMarco did draw a double. That leaves real targets underneath free of safety help on their routes.

It's a surety that the play wasn't drawn up with DiMarco deep as Josh's primary target. But he couldn't/didn't find anyone else open.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No. He was lined up outside and ran a go from the jump-

Seriously though, how did the Texans drop 13 guys into coverage?  JA had a ton of time to throw but each receiver had 3 guys on them. There has to be some “get free damn it!” jail break  at some point, no? 

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, an extended play.

Also, sending an FB downfield can be a very smart move in that anyone downfield draws coverage and probably double coverage. DiMarco did draw a double. That leaves real targets underneath free of safety help on their routes.

It's a surety that the play wasn't drawn up with DiMarco deep as Josh's primary target. But he couldn't find anyone else open.

No offense but this is completely wrong. Dimarco did not draw a double to free anyone up; as a matter of fact having him run a go and Lee Smith a post on the same side of the play allowed one safety to cover both since neither are real receiving threats. Everyone else got swallowed up. That is horrible play design.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's ridiculous. And even the logic is stupid IMO. They think, and have said publicly, and a bunch of people applauded the idea, that they put him out there, and the defense has to adjust by putting in an extra linebacker to compensate. SO WHAT?! Then they split him out and is easily covered and never makes a play. How about keeping him on the bench and have an extra WR out there against an extra CB but who can actually make a play! The Lee Smith/DiMarco offense especially late and in OT was shocking, and stupid, to me.

You can go on and on about this, but the bottom line is DiMarco had inside position on both defenders and if he jumps a split second later it's a completion.  The Texans dropped 8 guys, and we still had the ball in a guy’s hands to make a play.

• Like (+1) 1

It's ridiculous. And even the logic is stupid IMO. They think, and have said publicly, and a bunch of people applauded the idea, that they put him out there, and the defense has to adjust by putting in an extra linebacker to compensate. SO WHAT?! Then they split him out and is easily covered and never makes a play. How about keeping him on the bench and have an extra WR out there against an extra CB but who can actually make a play! The Lee Smith/DiMarco offense especially late and in OT was shocking, and stupid, to me.

It is these issues that drive me up the wall with Daboll and to a degree McD for allowing it; this entire play with those 2 should not have been in there, just like having Gore in the game with 30 seconds left in the half. In these times you play your best players and the scrubs are on the bench; you just give a down away or allow for something terrible to happen. It's the same thing with bumbling the time at the end of the half over the course of the season in countless games, these things should never happen. It's maddening

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Seriously though, how did the Texans drop 13 guys into coverage?  JA had a ton of time to throw but each receiver had 3 guys on them. There has to be some “get free damn it!” jail break  at some point, no? 

Well when you go 5 wide with Pat Dimarco and Lee Smith on the same side you become real easy to defend

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, an extended play. Not so much broken, maybe.

It's a surety that the play wasn't drawn up with DiMarco deep as Josh's primary target. But he couldn't/didn't find anyone else open.

He didn't really draw a double though. Lee Smith also ran a deep route on same side and as soon as Josh threw, the guy covering Smith left him and ran over to DiMarco. It was a stupid play.

3 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

From listening to One Bill's Drive earlier. It was drew up like that. But Allen should have hit Singletary or Beasley underneath as they had room to run.

beasley had three guys on him looking at the video above

Murph/Tasker way too non controversial since employeed by the Bills they were not open and will never be critical of the staff

Edited by ILBillsfan

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You can go on and on about this, but the bottom line is DiMarco had inside position on both defenders and if he jumps a split second later it's a completion.  The Texans dropped 8 guys, and we still had the ball in a guy’s hands to make a play.

I said he timed his jump wrong and should have caught it.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It was a VERY odd/poor play call, but Brown had worked himself open.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was a TERRIBLE throw and I am a huge Josh fan. He literally missed it by ten yards. From the endzone view, when Josh looked and threw, DiMarco was two yards past his one defender. It was way, way short. DiMarco had to completely stop, wait, and then jump. If Josh threw it well it could have been a TD, except he probably would have been caught from behind but maybe not. But when the ball was released he was open. 

That said, he did time the jump bad, and he probably should have caught it. But he's not at all a good receiver despite some claims and his 52 catches in 8 seasons.

Jeez exaggerating much? Missed by  10 yards? Hardly ....

Just now, Meatloaf63 said:

Jeez exaggerating much? Missed by  10 yards? Hardly ....

I'm saying and I would bet on it that if DiMarco kept on running full speed, and Josh threw it ten yards further, it could have hit him on the dead run. I'm positive with a running start, in the time it took DiMarco to slow down, look for the ball, stop, wait, and jump, he could have run ten yards.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm saying and I would bet on it that if DiMarco kept on running full speed, and Josh threw it ten yards further, it could have hit him on the dead run. I'm positive with a running start, in the time it took DiMarco to slow down, look for the ball, stop, wait, and jump, he could have run ten yards.

It wasn't a good throw, but I do think the DB would have caught up to Dimarco even if he were able to keep running full speed. Get what you're saying, but that DB had his eyes on the ball and a distinct speed advantage.

Again, I have zero clue what that formation is about, but Allen did eventually have a guy open underneath.