The 50/50 Ball to...DiMarco?

Bakin

30 minutes ago, TH3 said:

This is too important not to put in the post game thread?

This wasn't the only time a deep pass has been targeted to DiMarco this year. 

It's truly something that should never happen more than once and even that is one too many times.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I thought the defender slipped or something. When he released it it looked like Dimarco got behind him. It came out high giving the safety an opportunity to get over and the defender eventually caught up to Dimarco. Ball was still well placed and Dimarco had the best shot of getting even though he completely whiffed on the time to start his jump..... There was no one else open though, can’t blame him for trying to make a play. 

• Like (+1) 1

Should have been caught. Had position... just a missed timed jump. I think Allen just sort of figured if he catches it great, if he gets interfered with great, an incompletion is no big deal. And if its intercepted its not that nich different then a punt. So it made it worth the risk to potentially get PI

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DRA3196 said:

That throw to DeMarco wasn't the only time he ran a "go" during the game. It just happened to stand out when Allen made the throw.

Kyle Shanahan did that a few times with him in Atlanta as well. Maybe DiMarco is a secret vertical weapon and we've just never seen it.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, wppete said:

Horrible decision to throw that but for F*** sakes DiMarco almost had it, he just jumped way too early. No athleticism at all. Dimarco is also gone next year. 

I agree that he jumped too early but not that it was a bad throw. It was exactly on the money. Those kinds of drops and non-catches have plagued Allen all year, contributing to the "Allen isn't accurate" trope. Smurf receivers with bad hands backed up by practice squad players, that's what Allen has had all year. Is it any wonder he tries to do too much? Who else is going to make a play for him?

13 hours ago, Bakin said:

I don’t mind the shot downfield. 
double coverage, yes...

but Allen gave his WR a chance to get the ball. 

Problem is ... why in the ever loving piss would it be DiMarco down there?  

I’m not a Daboll hater - I believe this team needs to continue to add by adding...not subtracting...and I give Daboll another year for sure. He has to do a better job. 

And putting DiMarco downfield when you had the smarts to activate Duke....????

I just don’t get it. 

the thing i want to know is... and this is not the first time it has happened... why do our guys seem to jump too early to high point the ball on these 50/50 tosses down the field? i have noticed it several times by different receivers. something in the way Josh throws the ball that makes it hard to judge it or just not enough coaching or.... what?

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The ball I don’t think was designed to go to DiMarco.  Allen wasn’t looking his way until the very last moment.  DiMarco was split out wide to take the safety with him.

The play was going to someone else...

He didn’t have many options; they dropped a ton of guys into coverage.  

Here’s the deal which makes some folks takes infuriating.  People talk about letting your guys try to make plays.  Allen let DiMarco try to make a play.  DiMarco had inside position, Allen put it on the money, and if DiMarco times his jump better it’s a big play.  But people go one and on about how Allen made a bad play there?

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/5/2020 at 9:23 AM, Blokestradamus said:

Kyle Shanahan did that a few times with him in Atlanta as well. Maybe DiMarco is a secret vertical weapon and we've just never seen it.

was he actually thrown too? I hope we never see it again.

On 1/5/2020 at 6:34 AM, finn said:

I agree that he jumped too early but not that it was a bad throw. It was exactly on the money. Those kinds of drops and non-catches have plagued Allen all year, contributing to the "Allen isn't accurate" trope. Smurf receivers with bad hands backed up by practice squad players, that's what Allen has had all year. Is it any wonder he tries to do too much? Who else is going to make a play for him?

It was a TERRIBLE throw and I am a huge Josh fan. He literally missed it by ten yards. From the endzone view, when Josh looked and threw, DiMarco was two yards past his one defender. It was way, way short. DiMarco had to completely stop, wait, and then jump. If Josh threw it well it could have been a TD, except he probably would have been caught from behind but maybe not. But when the ball was released he was open. 

That said, he did time the jump bad, and he probably should have caught it. But he's not at all a good receiver despite some claims and his 52 catches in 8 seasons.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It was a TERRIBLE throw and I am a huge Josh fan. He literally missed it by ten yards. From the endzone view, when Josh looked and threw, DiMarco was two yards past his one defender. It was way, way short. DiMarco had to completely stop, wait, and then jump. If Josh threw it well it could have been a TD, except he probably would have been caught from behind but maybe not. But when the ball was released he was open. 

That said, he did time the jump bad, and he probably should have caught it. But he's not at all a good receiver despite some claims and his 52 catches in 8 seasons.

not the player you want out there in that situation....

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/4/2020 at 7:13 PM, Bakin said:

I don’t mind the shot downfield. 
double coverage, yes...

but Allen gave his WR a chance to get the ball. 

Problem is ... why in the ever loving piss would it be DiMarco down there?  

I’m not a Daboll hater - I believe this team needs to continue to add by adding...not subtracting...and I give Daboll another year for sure. He has to do a better job. 

And putting DiMarco downfield when you had the smarts to activate Duke....????

I just don’t get it. 

Duke or Knox should have gotten that ball

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

not the player you want out there in that situation....

It's ridiculous. And even the logic is stupid IMO. They think, and have said publicly, and a bunch of people applauded the idea, that they put him out there, and the defense has to adjust by putting in an extra linebacker to compensate. SO WHAT?! Then they split him out and is easily covered and never makes a play. How about keeping him on the bench and have an extra WR out there against an extra CB but who can actually make a play! The Lee Smith/DiMarco offense especially late and in OT was shocking, and stupid, to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/4/2020 at 5:20 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. I'm guessing it was a wheel route that got extended based on the way the play transpired.

No. He was lined up outside and ran a go from the jump-

And in case you're wondering about play design, consider the deep post here is being run by none other than Lee Smith

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1