McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Then why was he running that route lol

Exactly.

I guess Josh in less than a second needs to say "whoa what's that goofy ass doing out here?  He looks open, wait he shouldn't be thrown to."

This is exactly what I mean by Josh has to overcome our inept offensive mindset.

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo!  Allen was trying to do to much because he was asked to do almost everything.  His production was amazing today.  This is what McD should have harped on.  Pointing out a crazy lateral that had NO IMPACT ON THE GAME was bizzare and frankly showed that McD was clueless about what happened in the game.  And this is both surprising & disturbing to me. 

I just watched TN beat the evil empire 14 - 13.  This is how a lot of playoffs games go.  Remember last years Super Bowl that NE won 13 - 3?  IMO the defense lost the game today.  We know our offense is a work in progress.  They had only one TO and that only resulted in 3 points. 

Our D allowed the Texans to execute three 70+ yard drives late in the 3rd quarter, the 4th quarter & in OT to beat the Bills.  Had the D stopped just one of the two 2 point conversion trys we win the game with that last second FG. 

Was the 3rd and 18 we gave up in overtime? I’m having trouble recalling when this exactly happened. I think the play clock had reached zero ( refs seemed to miss that) 

But regardless that play Against an elite D should never happen. Not sure how much attention this gets but to me that was a total failure of coaching and situational awareness. 

• Like (+1) 1

People want to point at individual players or coaches, well fine.  Who picks those people?

Sean McDermott, that's who. 

He's 25-25 as Bills HC after 3 full seasons of rebuilding, including 0-2 in the playoffs.  He's 3-17 against playoff teams since taking the job.  

His teams don't score and they've invested heavily in defense when so many teams have proven that offense is how you win.

McD needs to take a long look in the mirror and acknowledge that his way of coaching and player personnel decisions mean this team tops out like they did this year.  Next year, they likely won't have one of the league's easiest schedules either.

The HC always has a quip or aphorism ready when confronted with legit criticism.  The clock is ticking on him as HC, particularly when your team blows a 16 point lead in the middle of the 2nd half (EDIT: in a playoff game).  

Then again, maybe he can convince the Pegula's things aren't as bad.  I'm sure they'd keep him beyond his due date.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2

We have a coach that wants a low risk/low reward style and a QB who at his core is almost the exact opposite of that.  

I am hopeful that this marriage will work long term, but coach needs to understand he also needs to adjust and get better and not think it is only on Josh to improve and grow. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Was the 3rd and 18 we gave up in overtime? I’m having trouble recalling when this exactly happened. I think the play clock had reached zero ( refs seemed to miss that) 

But regardless that play Against an elite D should never happen. Not sure how much attention this gets but to me that was a total failure of coaching and situational awareness. 

Yes it was.  Had we stopped them our offense gets a 2nd possession in OT probably starting at about the 40.  Also later on that same drive with an opportunity to put the Texans into another 3rd & 18 at midfield the D messed up a sack and Watson made the game winning play as a result.  Yet McD as the nerve to call out Allen for trying to do to much? 

The more I read that McD quote the more disturbing it looks.  It's not only poor timing but it shows a dangerous lack of insight into how his team just lost a game they should have won.  I would hope that Bean will have a talk with McD.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

People want to point at individual players or coaches, well fine.  Who picks those people?

Sean McDermott, that's who. 

He's 25-25 as Bills HC after 3 full seasons of rebuilding, including 0-2 in the playoffs.  He's 3-17 against playoff teams since taking the job.  

His teams don't score and they've invested heavily in defense when so many teams have proven that offense is how you win.

McD needs to take a long look in the mirror and acknowledge that his way of coaching and player personnel decisions mean this team tops out like they did this year.  Next year, they likely won't have one of the league's easiest schedules either.

The HC always has a quip or aphorism ready when confronted with legit criticism.  The clock is ticking on him as HC, particularly when your team blows a 16 point lead in the middle of the 2nd half.  

Then again, maybe he can convince the Pegula's things aren't as bad.  I'm sure they'd keep him beyond his due date.  

Well, it really was year two of an offensive teardown/ rebuild. Most resources should go into the offense this offseason. That is the domain of Beane and McD. They must answer for it and no one else. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well, it really was year two of an offensive teardown/ rebuild. Most resources should go into the offense this offseason. That is the domain of Beane and McD. They must answer for it and no one else. 

They elected to tear down the roster to the point that in 2019 only 5 players remained from before their tenure.  They own it now, while other franchises (see SF) have been able to go from duds to studs in the same time McD has been here.

if you can't win a playoff game after 3 full seasons, your team rebuilding plan is stuck in the mud.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Next year playoff win is minimum  Even with better personnel on offense the coaching needs to change.  Maybe more so on defense  Too soft, sometimes you need to go full Wade Phillips attack mode  Up by 16 we go into prevent like were up by 60

2 hours ago, TheProcess said:

That’s rich coming from McD. While Josh did try to do way too much at times, at least he was trying. Coaching did him a great disservice today. 

But... Coaching went into the final two minutes of game with all 3 timeouts.

The Bills would have lost in regulation had coaching not managed the timeouts wisely.

Take the good with the bad.  They still had a chance.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I feel like this is the media trying to frame it in a way that makes it look like Mcd is blaming Allen. 

Also, with regards to the blown lateral, obviously a terrible play and judgement, but if Knox catches it and rumbles for 20 yards it’s remembered very differently. The difference between magic and mayhem is one blade of grass in the nfl. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

They elected to tear down the roster to the point that in 2019 only 5 players remained from before their tenure.  They own it now, while other franchises (see SF) have been able to go from duds to studs in the same time McD has been here.

if you can't win a playoff game after 3 full seasons, your team rebuilding plan is stuck in the mud.  

One more offseason to complete the rebuild. SF has done a great job, but they’ve had their QB for 3 seasons, and I doubt they turned over the roster on offense as much as the Bills. That was by choice to be certain, but that doesn’t put better players on offense any faster. I don’t believe SF has won a playoff game yet. Not saying they won’t , but that rebuild is a year ahead imo. Your mileage may vary. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes it was.  Had we stopped them our offense gets a 2nd possession in OT probably starting at about the 40.  Also later on that same drive with an opportunity to put the Texans into another 3rd & 18 at midfield the D messed up a sack and Watson made the game winning play as a result.  Yet McD as the nerve to call out Allen for trying to do to much? 

The more I read that McD quote the more disturbing it looks.  It's not only poor timing but it shows a dangerous lack of insight into how his team just lost a game they should have won.  I would hope that Bean will have a talk with McD.

Your right. We stop that 3rd down and we probably have great field position. It just blows my mind. 

The missed sack was devastating. That was the ball game. 

Ask McD why Allen threw 46 times in a game they led for 3 1/2 qtrs. Ask him why Singletary got only 13 carries all game when he was dominating the first half. Why did his d play soft on third and 18 with the game on the the line ? McD throwing Allen under the bus after the game is disgraceful in my opinion.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

One more offseason to complete the rebuild. SF has done a great job, but they’ve had their QB for 3 seasons, and I doubt they turned over the roster on offense as much as the Bills. That was by choice to be certain, but that doesn’t put better players on offense any faster. I don’t believe SF has won a playoff game yet. Not saying they won’t , but that rebuild is a year ahead imo. Your mileage may vary. 

You win the award out of many candidates tonight for best quibbling of the day.  Congratulations.