McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Fire Daboll please bring in Pat Shurmur

This would make this Bills fan very happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd wait to see if he gets hired by Cleveland first. :devil:

If not, i'd fire his Dumbell arse right after...

I don't want that clown anywhere near Allen after this season. 

Edited by Nihilarian

6 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'm seeing a lot of folks really pissed at the perception of McDermott throwing JA under the bus.  I don't see it that way.  McDermott has to be the leader of this team, part of that responsibility is giving accurate and honest feedback on what they did well and what they need to do better.  It doesn't always have to be public / in the media, but I bet that many players were thinking the same thing.  If McDermott doesn't address it I think it lessens his credibility with the team.  When Allen made that weird lateral, there was a TE nearby and you could see the exasperation on his face, like WTF!

If Allen is going to be a leader as well, he needs to 1. be able to handle this kind of feedback (and probably acknowledge it himself) and 2. figure out a way to reduce the number of WTF plays.

I disagree.  You do this in private NOT public.  My goodness there were so many screw ups in this game calling out the QB shows me that McD didn't see the game that the rest of us saw.

And what players do you believe were thinking the same thing?  I hope it wasn't anyone on the O-line or defense. 

I do agree that Allen can handle this.  I mean he handled the incompetent way McD handled him as a rookie.  You know not declaring him the starter so he doesn't get reps with the 1st team in training camp & preseason.  You know like putting all your eggs in the Peterman basket and then throwing Allen to the wolves in week 2 when Peterman breaks all the eggs.  And don't get me started on having a rookie QB but not having a veteran QB to show him the ropes.  So yea, Allen will get over this.

But it's disappointing that McD handled it this way.  This is not the "process" I've seen him talking about.  Today was as classic a TEAM loss as any Bills loss this year.  That's how McD should have described it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Wow Sean.. Just lost a lot of respect for you

Honestly I gained respect for him.  He finally spoke the truth about his Qb. 

Its obvious to me he's felt this way about Allen all season, but because of the magnitude of this game and the loss, he's finally let loose on his criticism.  Long overdue IMO. 

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He absolutely did and this is just you doing your normal negative about everything nonsense.  DiMarco was in front of both defenders.  He jumps a split second later he catches the ball.

Lol this is such a horrible take

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Dude. Expecting a FB to make that catch is ridiculous.

L

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Dude. Expecting a FB to make that catch is ridiculous.

Oh so now it’s not that he didn’t have position it’s the  position?  Spare me your junk.  He jumps at the right time it’s a catch.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, WildBills said:

I wonder what Josh Allen's blood pressure was at. His face was redder than a cherry. Looked like a shell shocked nervous wreck sitting on the bench at times. This team was not ready for the big time. 

Poor guy had hives.  He's just a kid, we forget the enormous pressure qbs are under. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001094390/article/mcdermott-josh-allen-tried-to-do-too-much-in-loss

McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

What a wild day for Josh Allen.

The Bills quarterback began Saturday's wild-card game with a 41-yard scamper and capped that opening drive with a touchdown reception. Yes, the quarterback caught the game's first touchdown.

It was far from the wackiest occurrence in Houston as the Bills fell to the Texans in a wild and wacky 22-19 overtime thriller.

After the Bills gradually gave up their early lead to the Texans by the latter portion of the fourth quarter, Allen got back to work with unrealistic, if not crazy ambition. The athletic quarterback scrambled down the right sideline in the final minute of regulation, sprinting to a first down before attempting to lateral the ball to nearby teammate Dawson Knox. The tight end understandably did not expect Allen to attempt such a reckless play, watching the live ball bounce on the ground before he desperately batted it out of bounds.

It was the latest bullet dodged by Allen in a game full of them.

"Just tried to do too much," Bills coach Sean McDermott said of Allen's play, "trying to do too much and getting a little bit maybe extreme with what he felt like we needed at the time, the one lateral on their sideline and whatever it was there. Overall we just didn't make enough plays."

A possession earlier, the Bills were on the edge of field goal range when two Allen decisions made their climb to a game-tying field goal or game-winning touchdown much steeper. On third down, Allen got rid of the ball under duress, throwing it to no one and drawing an intentional grounding penalty. The next play, he took a massive sack in Buffalo territory to put the Texans in position to potentially ice the game.

When the Bills finally made overtime, Allen completed a pair of throws to extend drives -- but also heaved a 50-50 ball to a fullback, Patrick DiMarco. It was his last high-risk throw, as Buffalo's drive stalled and they never again regained possession.

"I was trying to make a play for the team. Whatever it took," Allen said of some of the chances he took. "There were some plays I wish I had back and some plays I wouldn't take back."

Allen added: "Every loss is personal and if I can go out there and execute differently, hindsight's 20-20, but there were some things that we should have hit on I put that on my shoulders, especially with how well our defense played today. Teams go how their quarterbacks usually go and I got to be better for this team."

Allen was far from the only person involved to make a questionable decision. Texans coach Bill O'Brien challenged a pass interference call on Houston's opening possession of the game, and unsuccessfully opted to go for it on fourth-and-1 instead of kicking a field goal to push the Texans' late lead to six.

But it is Allen's Bills who are headed home for the year after their second wild-card loss in three years. Allen's final line -- 24-of-46 passing for 264 yards -- signals an error-free performance. Buffalo wouldn't have been here without Allen, no doubt, but the other near-mistakes (a pass through the arms of J.J. Watt, the two would-be interceptions dropped by Bradley Roby, and a near-fumble caused by Roby) gave everyone watching a feeling that the next close call would be the one to do the Bills in.

That never happened, but the Bills are still headed home with their playoff win drought intact. One thing is for sure: The wide-eyed Allen definitely has high-pressure playoff experience under his belt now.

“Signals and error free performance”  

Really? 

7 minutes ago, WildBills said:

I wonder what Josh Allen's blood pressure was at. His face was redder than a cherry. Looked like a shell shocked nervous wreck sitting on the bench at times. This team was not ready for the big time. 

He looked a bit desperate, like he wanted the game to be over. This is why I can't blame Mcd for saying what he's said. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Then why was he running that route lol

Exactly

Also - does anyone have the actual question that he was responding to here?  I think context is important.  If he's answering a question about why they lost, yes, this would be out of line.  I doubt that's the case.  If someone asked him about Allen's performance, or some of his mistakes, I see it in a totally different light.

Edited by Captain Caveman

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

L

Oh so now it’s not that he didn’t have position it’s the  position?  Spare me your junk.  He jumps at the right time it’s a catch.

You're 100% right. 

There are a lot of NFL teams with TE's or WR's who make that catch.  The problem was the scheme of having #42 going deep.  It's like earlier in the year when we had to watch #20 & #42 split out wide!  Yea that's the ticket.  I can just see the DC sweating bullets about who going to cover such athletic & fast play makers!

I honestly don’t believe Daboll has a realistic shot at a head coaching job. If he did it would probably solve a problem for us.

He probably will get another crack as our coordinator 

but I’m really struggling with this and his ability to have any sort of a solid game plan. I know continuity is important and continuing to build this offense but also  At times I feel like it’s Madden football and he just randomly picks plays without any reason like I would do. What’s our identity? The more I think about my concerns with Dimarco running patterns. everyone knows we run with gore and Dimarco so why not play action this combo or send Dimarco long...maybe that was Brilliant if Daboll? 

We also need a new  punter. Anyone worth drafting out of college for those who watch?

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

Mcd is another Marvin Lewis. almost carbon copy of each other. 

mediocre conservative coaches that play not to lose. 

14 minutes ago, WildBills said:

doesn't help when his fat ***** OC is sitting up in the booth calling braindead plays having allen in shotgun with an empty backfield against blitzes 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Great.  Maybe McDermott can talk about his performance tonight.  Going to prevent defense with 30 minutes left in a game was disastrous.

Up 16-0 with the ball. We should have ended it right there. The defense did deserve better.  But as we've witnessed all year, this offense is pathetic. And right on schedule Daboll and McD decided to pack it up and go full throttle CONSERVATIVE. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. He will coach like this his whole career. Which doesn't bode well for Buffalo. 

40 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

It's not because of Josh, he was running for his life on a bunch of drop backs, dumb penalties & miss blocks on the o-line and dropped passes. I'm not blaming the guy who had 372 total yards out of our 425 and was the leading passer, rusher & caught the only TD we had. Nope even if I felt they way I'd know enough that Josh gave it everything he had and shut my mouth and have his back.

Bingo!  Allen was trying to do to much because he was asked to do almost everything.  His production was amazing today.  This is what McD should have harped on.  Pointing out a crazy lateral that had NO IMPACT ON THE GAME was bizzare and frankly showed that McD was clueless about what happened in the game.  And this is both surprising & disturbing to me. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Up 16-0 with the ball. We should have ended it right there. The defense did deserve better.  But as we've witnessed all year, this offense is pathetic. And right on schedule Daboll and McD decided to pack it up and go full throttle CONSERVATIVE. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. He will coach like this his whole career. Which doesn't bode well for Buffalo. 

I just watched TN beat the evil empire 14 - 13.  This is how a lot of playoffs games go.  Remember last years Super Bowl that NE won 13 - 3?  IMO the defense lost the game today.  We know our offense is a work in progress.  They had only one TO and that only resulted in 3 points. 

Our D allowed the Texans to execute three 70+ yard drives late in the 3rd quarter, the 4th quarter & in OT to beat the Bills.  Had the D stopped just one of the two 2 point conversion trys we win the game with that last second FG. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2