McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

Hey Sean, I'd rather have him do too much than do nothing!!!! 

Is the guy that packed the team in and played for FGs up 10 in the 2Q, had his punter take a snap under center to spike the ball, call unnecessary 2 risky low low percentage chucks at endzone with 15 secs from tying, who put his D in prevent in any position to talk?

Shut it sean.

7 hours ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

And he looked bad...really bad.  I have zero confidence Allen can win a game by passing late in the 4th quarter.  His passes over 20 years downfield have to improve if he's going to succeed.   

He looked like a 23 year old puppy who's never been in that position before who needed help from his teammates. Despite that he was able to make plays. But he didn't get help from his teammates.

Allen obviously tried to do too much, he was a disaster at times.

Aside from motor though, he was the only guy who showed up on offense.

I'll give a pass to bease because he was riding the pine while practice squad guys ran dabols trash plays.

Blocking was just cheeks.  Our offense hates to be in an advantage position.  Five wide with no motion in the condensed part of the field is something they love to lose with.  It's disgusting

Allen is a aggressive player. You have to let him be. He is like a Brett Favre. He also extended plays and made nice throws on the run. You have a talk with Allen about the lateral, but you don't bring it up with the media. Classless by McDermott 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Absolutely , classless remarks by Sean. The kid was buried by free rushers caused by bad O-line breakdowns. Same thing happened at the end of Baltimore and N E.games. Why lay this loss on Josh, when you're responsible for the horrendous defensive ineptitude that resulted in the conversion of that 3rd and 18. How about the missed tackles on Watson's touchdown, 2pt conversion and OT backbreaker. This kid put us in position to get into OT and then win the game , if Ford doesn't commit the PF. Everyone had a role in this debauchery. Sean ,try and remember, this kid is our future. Don't destroy his confidence. 

Not to mention if we stop just ONE of the two 2 point conversion attempts - and everything else played out the same, we'd have won 19-18 in regulation.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Sorry but F McDermott on this one.  Why did Josh try and do “too much”... perhaps because you asked him to throw the ball 46 times and only had the best offensive player carry the ball THIRTEEN times, while inexplicably giving roughly 40% of the carries to Frank freaking Gore!  

Singletary was out there making plays all game, and 13 carries, FFS this loss is clearly on coaching and game planning.  The talent is there, atleast to get out of the first round, the coaching however is another story.

I still like McDermott, but unfortunately for the team as a whole this game leaves me with more questions than answers moving forward.

”Future is bright” Is it though? Blew a 16 point lead in the playoffs, with the number 2 overall ranked defense and a QB who didn’t throw an interception.  

Josh didn’t try and do too much, your coaches didn’t do enough, got too cute (how do you not get off the field on 3rd and 18!?), and cost this franchise a great moment in it’s history.

This is exactly right! 

if this was McDs idea to throw that much perhaps he needs to go. Allen throwing 48 times a game is moronic. That is what you see losing teams do once they are behind in a game. Not when you have a 13 point half time lead

Frank Gore a 8 carries for 22 yards 2.8 ypc avg and a 14 yard run the longest. Now take away that one 14 yard run and its 7 carries for 7 yards, a 1.0 ypc avg. 

This loss is all on the coaching staff IMO. 

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He wasn’t outcoached.  If anything O’Brien gave him a chance to win.

It was not the best performance, but his back was against the wall given how poorly Allen played 

When you are up 16-0 at halftime and blow that, coaching has blame as well 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, london_bills said:

Something I thought about was why wasn't Allen trying to get Hauschka in a better range there. I recall we didn't have a timeout but could of spiked it. I think we had 15 seconds??

I cant recall the players and who was open but the point is to have an awareness of where to throw to. We tried twice to the end zone to Williams from memory. 

no timeouts and 15 on the clock  A short completion they might not be able to clock it?

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He wasn’t outcoached.  If anything O’Brien gave him a chance to win.

It was not the best performance, but his back was against the wall given how poorly Allen played 

He was outcoached, Phil.  There's another thread on the board linking to an article which does a good job of spelling out a number of boneheaded coaching calls, in detail.  When you are up 16-0 and you let the other team have 2 TD drives, that's not all on the QB.  It's not all on coaching too - coaching wasn't telling Milano and Neal to miss tackles and likely wasn't directing them give up that underneath range all the way past the sticks.

Tried posting this in another thread which got locked but I think it's related:

are we not better off finding a coordinator that's creative with the run game (Anthony Lynn-esk), draft a stud RB, and re-vamping the O line for more zone blocking and guards who can pull rather than forcing Josh to play read the defense for 60 mins? If you run more play action you have more opportunities to get the QB making plays on the run which is Josh's biggest strength. It might mean having to trade Morse but it would seem a better fit for how McD likes to play.  

46 passes + 9 runs is too much. He's not Brady. I wish we had Titans offense.