McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Something I thought about was why wasn't Allen trying to get Hauschka in a better range there. I recall we didn't have a timeout but could of spiked it. I cant recall the players and who was open but the point is to have an awareness of where to throw to. We tried twice to the end zone to Williams from memory. 

there were :20 seconds left before the 2nd down play, and ;15 left before the 3rd down play. Throwing inbounds and spiking the ball on the 2nd down play would have been cutting it close.  Hauschka made the FG regardless, so I'm not sure what the issue is with this sequence. 

8 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

there were :20 seconds left before the 2nd down play, and ;15 left before the 3rd down play. Throwing inbounds and spiking the ball on the 2nd down play would have been cutting it close.  Hauschka made the FG regardless, so I'm not sure what the issue is with this sequence. 

The issue is that the field goal was not a gimme and we all breathed a sigh of relief when it went through. We Took two shots at the end zone sure, but I wonder if this ties into the 'Josh allen doing too much thing' from mcd.

Situational football, a short throw to make the kick a 35 yarder and less missable. 

4 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

It actually served to stop the clock.

That's not what I mean. No need to throw a lateral with that long on the clock. Some people were defending the lateral because of the fact it stopped the clock!!

Edited by london_bills

28 minutes ago, london_bills said:

He doesn't answer injury questions directly after a playoff loss. This interview comes straight after a frustrating loss when the bills were up. He is only human, as is Allen.

But remember as a coach it can also be naturally frustrating to have a player after two years still do the things that you would like to see improved. This can be another way of exerting your message as a head coach. I didn't think that is what is going on here although I might be wrong. 

Your last paragraph is very interesting and he is always very astute at this media managing I think. He is savvy, and could intentionally say something to cause a deflection of blame but here I think it's a bit careless and overly honest. In a way I respected his candour and the less political answer. Not sure allen would of. Yes if I was Allen I might feel annoyed with this but I thought he was trying to do too much as the game went on! 

But why is he more frustrated with Allen then he was with his defense?  He has proactively constructed a Bills team that relies on it's defense to win games.  IMO the D experienced more of a collapse in the 4th quarter/OT then Allen and the offense did.  

Like I've said this was a total team loss but Allen was more a positive then a negative in the game.  And bringing up a lateral that while ill advised had NO NEGATIVE IMPACT on the game was curious.    There are more good things to take away from Allen's first playoff game and OT experience then bad things.  That's what MD should have focused on.

In fact one of the lessons from this game isn't that Allen was a wild man it's that McD's entire concept may be flawed.  Maybe this off season we should focus exclusively on improving the Offense even at the cost of the defense.  McD might benefit from a bit more introspection here.

Or maybe McD should lobby to trade Allen.  I bet we would get a high 1st round draft pick for him.  I'm being serious here.  Allen would command a 1st round draft pick and maybe a decent veteran LB or CB to go long with the deal.  Then McD can get a true game manager with a 3rd round pick (or maybe Gruden will send us Peterman back for his 5th round pick) while using the extra 1st round pick to select a CB or DE.  Allen is a thoroughbred race horse and McD may think that he needs a plow horse type QB to pair with his elite Defense and conservative game plans.

Okay I'm hitting the sack now but I am being half serious here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Great.  Maybe McDermott can talk about his performance tonight.  Going to prevent defense with 30 minutes left in a game was disastrous.

i really like McDermott's process and team building but this conservative crap has to stop or we will never be the elite team he/ we expect.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

The issue is that the field goal was not a gimme and we all breathed a sigh of relief when it went through. We Took two shots at the end zone sure, but I wonder if this ties into the 'Josh allen doing too much thing' from mcd.

Situational football, a short throw to make the kick a 35 yarder and less missable. 

That's not what I mean. No need to throw a lateral with that long on the clock. Some people were defending the lateral because of the fact it stopped the clock!!

what negative impact did the lateral have?

Perhaps McDermott should be more upset with the defenders who missed tackles today, or maybe he should be questioning why Gore got 8 carries, and Singletary 13.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Maybe it's putting too much on the defense but that's seemingly the build right now.  Defense keeps the score nice and low and Allen pulls it out.  The defense didn't get the stops on plays where they seemingly had stops and Allen and the offense "made plays" to get into scoring position but then took sacks and penalties that took them out.  They just didn't finish.

Have to agree...they gave 2 TDs and 2 2-pt conversions...and then the big conversions on the final drive..that was surreal.

14 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

what negative impact did the lateral have?

Perhaps McDermott should be more upset with the defenders who missed tackles today, or maybe he should be questioning why Gore got 8 carries, and Singletary 13.

It didn't have a negative impact. But it could have. For me it was more symptomatic of how reckless Allen can play sometimes, I do understand he makes plays out of nothing. It's when the reckless plays feel a bit desperate when I have a problem. 

Sorry but F McDermott on this one.  Why did Josh try and do “too much”... perhaps because you asked him to throw the ball 46 times and only had the best offensive player carry the ball THIRTEEN times, while inexplicably giving roughly 40% of the carries to Frank freaking Gore!  

Singletary was out there making plays all game, and 13 carries, FFS this loss is clearly on coaching and game planning.  The talent is there, atleast to get out of the first round, the coaching however is another story.

I still like McDermott, but unfortunately for the team as a whole this game leaves me with more questions than answers moving forward.

”Future is bright” Is it though? Blew a 16 point lead in the playoffs, with the number 2 overall ranked defense and a QB who didn’t throw an interception.  

Josh didn’t try and do too much, your coaches didn’t do enough, got too cute (how do you not get off the field on 3rd and 18!?), and cost this franchise a great moment in it’s history.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

There's a recording of a mic on the head ref.  He said the Texans player did an oopsie so no TD.  

As ridiculous as it was, the Texans player made a colossal mistake. You don't get a do over for embarrassing mistakes. As much as everyone knows he didn't intend to throw the ball away, the fact remains that he did. By the rule book the correct call was made. The receiver did not follow protocol for giving himself up, he caught the ball without a fair catch signal and walked forward. The ref gave every indication the play was still live as he didn't take a knee. He continues forward and tosses the ball, the ref getting out of the way indicating it is still a live ball. The Bills recovered and it is signalled a td.

What was the indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field? Since when are embarrassing mistakes from not knowing the rules just disregarded because 'we all know what he meant to do'?

The guy screwed up, then the refs screwed up, and it should have been a td.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

As ridiculous as it was, the Texans player made a colossal mistake. You don't get a do over for embarrassing mistakes. As much as everyone knows he didn't intend to throw the ball away, the fact remains that he did. By the rule book the correct call was made. The receiver did not follow protocol for giving himself up, he caught the ball without a fair catch signal and walked forward. The ref gave every indication the play was still live as he didn't take a knee. He continues forward and tosses the ball, the ref getting out of the way indicating it is still a live ball. The Bills recovered and it is signalled a td.

What was the indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field? Since when are embarrassing mistakes from not knowing the rules just disregarded because 'we all know what he meant to do'?

The guy screwed up, then the refs screwed up, and it should have been a td.

100% agreed. It should've been a Bills TD or Safety at absolute worst

1 minute ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

100% agreed. It should've been a Bills TD or Safety at absolute worst

By the rules it was a td. There are protocols so the refs don't have to guess your intention. The receiver did not follow them and the ref clearly indicated he hadn't, meaning the ball was in play.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

By the rules it was a td. There are protocols so the refs don't have to guess your intention. The receiver did not follow them and the ref clearly indicated he hadn't, meaning the ball was in play.

I agree with you. The fact that all the talking heads agree that it was a score and called incorrectly against the rules shows a lot because they all despise Buffalo 

blaming your QB after one of the worst playoff coaching displays in the last decade is embarrassing for McD

if he doesn't win the division next season he should be on the hotseat. we have accepted mediocrity for too long at this franchise. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jerboski said:

Hey Sean, how about you talk about getting outcoached the entire second half, maybe you should try to do a little more rather than taking the foot off the gas as your usual 

He wasn’t outcoached.  If anything O’Brien gave him a chance to win.

It was not the best performance, but his back was against the wall given how poorly Allen played 

I would honestly be okay if they fired McDermot and his staff today. They are incapable of building a playoff caliber offense and are incapable of making adjustments during the game. His attempt to build a culture while over looking talent is going to make the Bills a 3-13 team next year when they have a tougher schedule. We’ve had two easily winnable playoff games under his tenure and just making the playoffs is not enough.