McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All good questions and should be asked, but I honestly don't think McD intended to throw Allen under the bus

Probably not, but he should have shouldered any criticism or blame directly. I'm proud of the team, they play with a lot of heart and they gave it their all. Josh Allen was practically the entire offense tonight, if he tried to do too much that is entirely the coaches fault. For McD to say what he did is weak and completely inexcusable to me. 

Edited by Turk71

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All good questions and should be asked, but I honestly don't think McD intended to throw Allen under the bus

I suspect you're correct but even if he didn't it's yet another indication of how he evaluates offense incorrectly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Frank Gore  has served well as mentor for Singletary.  But TJ Yeldon had some nice plays last week vs Jets, and he is a large body. Why no TJ tonight? He should have been the second option instead of Gore.

Fumbles.

Frank Gore had ZERO all season.

That's why he kept getting touches...........trying to avoid mistakes because this pathetic offense has no room for error wrt turnovers.

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Probably not, but he should have shouldered any criticism or blame directly. I'm proud of the team, they play with a lot of heart and they gave it their all. Josh Allen was practically the entire offense tonight, if he tried to do too much that is entirely the coaches fault. For McD to say what he did is weak and completely inexcusable to me. 

It's not like he threw any picks. I take your point and it was frustration from mcdermott I thought. I thought he was being honest but it was less diplomatic than I had heard from Mcdermott previously. 

12 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Ok, Let's try and go for it on 4 and 27 with 3 TO's?  MCD, WTF man?  We are so lucky we even got to OT.

Great point.  You punt the ball.  And he has the nerve to call Allen out?

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

I didn't get the rationale for the overturn, they just acted like it was never called a rd instead of a legitimate reason for overturning it.

There's a recording of a mic on the head ref.  He said the Texans player did an oopsie so no TD.  

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

It's not like he threw any picks. I take your point and it was frustration from mcdermott I thought. I thought he was being honest but it was less diplomatic than I had heard from Mcdermott previously. 

He should be frustrated with himself and taking the blame squarely, the coaches lost the game if anyone is to blame. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

The lateral resulted in the ball going out of bounds and stopping the clock which the bills needed as we were out of time outs and had no way to stop clock. 

Personally I think that was allens true intent to get it to knox to go out of bounds. 

Foolish maybe, but he got it out of bounds and so it was beneficial...

Why all the super analysis?

Because McDermott specifically and without being prompted brought it up in his presser

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Amazing the Bills and McD couldn't beat this team.

They wouldn't have beaten this team with the way they played in ANY of their last 4 regular season games either though.

They've been sh*t for over a month now and folks been whistling past that graveyard of L's like it didn't mean anything acting like they could just turn on that 9-3 team and Thanksgiving Day offense whenever they needed it.

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

You could also call it deflection from the other issues, but he's just come onto the podium after a very disappointing loss and has been asked specific questions. 

That's even worse IMO.  The ONLY place McD needed to address this was with Allen privately.  And given the FACTS of how this game went and all the places you could legitimately point the finger of blame, it was deeply unfair to throw Allen under the bus which is exactly what McD did here.  I'm not sure it matters much whether he meant to or not.

Once the game was over and if we're to believe in this "process" of McD's then we need to see it in action after a disappointing loss.  The ONLY thing to say publicly is that it was a disappointing loss and we have to learn from it and grow.  And in fact this is the correct thing to say because going forward the Bills can build off this.  McD screwed up here and hopefully it will just go away.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

That's because you and Daboll put it all on him in the 4th quarter and overtime.

And he looked bad...really bad.  I have zero confidence Allen can win a game by passing late in the 4th quarter.  His passes over 20 years downfield have to improve if he's going to succeed.   

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That's even worse IMO.  The ONLY place McD needed to address this was with Allen privately.  And given the FACTS of how this game went and all the places you could legitimately point the finger of blame, it was deeply unfair to throw Allen under the bus which is exactly what McD did here.  I'm not sure it matters much whether he meant to or not.

Once the game was over and if we're to believe in this "process" of McD's then we need to see it in action after a disappointing loss.  The ONLY thing to say publicly is that it was a disappointing loss and we have to learn from it and grow.  And in fact this is the correct thing to say because going forward the Bills can build off this.  McD screwed up here and hopefully it will just go away.

I think it will probably follow Allen around like the "inaccuracy" thing for a while or the "seeing ghosts" for Sam Darnold.

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

He should be frustrated with himself and taking the blame squarely, the coaches lost the game if anyone is to blame. 

There's that and also what is said in public. I think what mcd said about Allen is fair tbh. 

There would normally be a more balanced assessment of 'things he did well, and throws he'd like back. '

It was a short presser and he wasn't asked questions about who was to blame, was just asked specifically about Allen. I do take your point as a leader you would expect a bit more humility, accountability but I think the narrow range of questions asked also contributes to this narrative of McDermott blaming Allen.