McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Ask McD why Allen threw 46 times in a game they led for 3 1/2 qtrs. Ask him why Singletary got only 13 carries all game when he was dominating the first half. Why did his d play soft on third and 18 with the game on the the line ? McD throwing Allen under the bus after the game is disgraceful in my opinion. 

All good questions and should be asked, but I honestly don't think McD intended to throw Allen under the bus

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Your right. We stop that 3rd down and we probably have great field position. It just blows my mind. 

The missed sack was devastating. That was the ball game. 

Honestly for a guy that preaches fundamentals our tackling this season was trash

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He was asked directly about Allen.  He answered. 

He brought up the lateral play, which was unnecessary and didn't point out any of the positives. Allen had almost 350 total yards, took some tough hits and bounces back up. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I feel like this is the media trying to frame it in a way that makes it look like Mcd is blaming Allen. 

Also, with regards to the blown lateral, obviously a terrible play and judgement, but if Knox catches it and rumbles for 20 yards it’s remembered very differently. The difference between magic and mayhem is one blade of grass in the nfl. 

Agreed. Watching the presser it wasn't as bad as its made out to be in terms of what Mcd said. 

The last comment about magic and mayhem couldn't apply to anyone more than Allen! . I would call it magic, mayhem and a bit of desperation. 

Edited by london_bills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I'd hate to see him "not doing enough"

He generated 372 yds of offense - 264 passing, 92 rushing, and 16 receiving.

Tennessee just beat the Patriots in a game where their QB had 72 yds passing, 11 yds rushing, threw an INT, and fumbled 2x.

They also generated just 14 points on offense.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All good questions and should be asked, but I honestly don't think McD intended to throw Allen under the bus

I hope you're right but his choice of words in response to that question was piss poor.  Frankly it's shaken my faith in McD.  You get to know the quality of a man when he faces tough times.  How he responds is critical.  The whole point of the "process" as I understood it was that after a loss like this, the team & coaches would circle the wagons.  And if ever there was a team loss this was it.

Maybe I'm reading to much into what McD said.  But it just doesn't seem right.  You let the dust settle and watch the film before making any kind of comment like this.  I think upon reflection most Bill's fans are going to see that there was a lot of positives out there today.  This has the feel of 1989 and that's a good thing.

And since the early years of Jim Kelly's career, when was the last time we felt as good about our QB going from year 2 to 3?  I would answer this is the FIRST time since the early Kelly years.  Think about all the QB's we've had since Kelly retired.  There isn't one who I felt good about going from their 2nd to their 3rd season here.  NOT ONE until Allen.  That's a huge step forward and McD needs to be careful about fouling this moment. 

7 minutes ago, Cal said:

He brought up the lateral play, which was unnecessary and didn't point out any of the positives. Allen had almost 350 total yards, took some tough hits and bounces back up. 

Allen had 372 total yards.  356 if you take out the pass reception for a TD.

I'm sure he's going on impressions and emotions right now and he'll settle in after he watches the film, but that lateral was a standout as a horrible play, so I'm sure it was on his mind.

28 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Also, with regards to the blown lateral, obviously a terrible play and judgement, but if Knox catches it and rumbles for 20 yards it’s remembered very differently. The difference between magic and mayhem is one blade of grass in the nfl. 

This is what I was thinking when I watched a replay of the lateral.  It was really close to being a huge play. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen had 372 total yards.  356 if you take out the pass reception for a TD.

I'm sure he's going on impressions and emotions right now and he'll settle in after he watches the film, but that lateral was a standout as a horrible play, so I'm sure it was on his mind.

anything other than a handoff into the a gap is radical football for McDermott  Kid was trying to make a play  He didnt throw him under the bus when he went full Supeman on some of those wild 4th down sneaks  How about your defense comes out in the 2nd half next time

• Awesome! (+1) 2

The lateral resulted in the ball going out of bounds and stopping the clock which the bills needed as we were out of time outs and had no way to stop clock. 

Personally I think that was allens true intent to get it to knox to go out of bounds. 

Foolish maybe, but he got it out of bounds and so it was beneficial...

Why all the super analysis?

• Like (+1) 1

How could a QB be defined as trying to do too much when his coaches put Pat Dimarco in as the X receiver for multiple plays in overtime.

Then when they take him out and put Singletary in as the X - Josh hits him for 14 and a 1st down.

Stand up there and blame yourself coach.  Shameful!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2