McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

Shame on coach McD. Just when I was thinking he was the guy he goes and throws Allen under the bus in a game where there was more then enough blame to go around.  McD should have just SHUT THE FRACK UP.  What was this moron thinking!?!

First, while the lateral was a bit crazy,  watch the replay and had Knox stayed put and caught it it would have been a HUGE positive play.  As it was that play IN NO WAY IMPACTED the outcome of the game.  If McD wants to throw folks under the bus how about:

*  Taking a shot at the 3 guys who could not get a block on #41 in OT on Allen's QB sweep.  And unlike the lateral that screw-up cost us the game.  If they get a block on #41 Allen runs for10 - 20 yards and we're on the doorstep of winning this game.

*  Or McD could have commented on a defense that played great for a half and half of a quarter then crapped the bed when it counted.  They gave up 75 & 80 yard TD drives in the last 16 minutes of the game.  Had the D stopped just one of the 2 point conversions that last Bill's FG would have been the winning FG.

*  Or how about McD wait to watch the film and let us know what he thinks about leaving JJ Watt unblocked or single blocked for the 4th quarter and in OT?

I'm deeply disappointed that McD made these comments.  This can really mess up a kids head.  They are not only unfair but the game film will show they're flat out wrong.  I thought this "process" thing they brag about would result in the players & coaches circling the wagons.  Instead McD is throwing Allen under the bus.  Incredible.

Let's not forget that McD screwed up Allen's rookie year about as badly as a coach could.  Now he does this crap?  This is disturbing on a number of levels and makes me doubt whether McD is the guy.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, y2zipper said:

Buffalo's only touchdown came on a drive where the team did everything they could to make sure Allen didn't have to throw a pass. That isn't a good sign.

I don't think that trying to ease your 2nd year QB early on, in his playoff game, on the road no less, is all that uncommon. Matter a fact it happens all the time, see Tom Brady and a million others.

Offensive play calling been demise all season. We find a game plan that works with reverses, options,  mixed in with run/pass....and then we revert to the QB sweep or draw, and predictable Gore for 2 yds on third down (Luv you FG) , with few plays to our new RB that's been getting the job done all season. Only needed 3 pts in OT for the win. Offensive plays called in OT not well planned and not NFL caliber and certainly not NFL Champion designed. Too much talent now on Bills to experiment for another season. The experiment will benefit the team, but now time to solidify a consistent offense with a consistent game plan for winning. We have the player talent to excel.  IMPO Sean and Brandon, and an awesome job by Leslie Frazier the future looks only positive. Some tweaking may be in order in the off season.  

As painful as todays game hit me, I maintain so many happy memories...fruit belt parking at rock pile,  Cookie, Darryl, Paul McGuire, Rich Stadium and  the electric company, Reggie, then Joe, Jim, Doug, Bruce, Darryl, Steve, Thurman, Andre, and so many others.  Heads high Bills Mafia!

Just now, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I don't think that trying to ease your 2nd year QB early on, in his playoff game, on the road no less, is all that uncommon. Matter a fact it happens all the time, see Tom Brady and a million others.

I don't disagree, but at some point Allen has to drop back and win and today he couldn't. McDermott's criticism is fair.

That's not to say Allen can't improve, but it's hard to have a consistent offense when the quarterback is still inconsistent and erratic as Josh has been this year and this game against a bad pass defense.

Absolutely. I'm in the same boat.

Both are true:

—Josh has made big strides this year and showed big improvement in a lot of areas. I think he's a Franchise QB.

—He's not there yet. 

With more reliable receivers, I think he can have a true breakout year in 2020. He showed signs this year, and next year is when he could become Elite.  That's my hope for him, and for Tremaine Edmunds. 

I feel the exact same about Allen and Edmunds. Both have huge obvious potential. Both have shown growth. Both have made huge plays to carry the team to a win. Both have had some horrible misses that decided losses.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't disagree, but at some point Allen has to drop back and win and today he couldn't. McDermott's criticism is fair.

Did he call out other players specifically?  QB gets too much credit/blame  McDermott's been around long enough.  Fact is for better or worse Allen carried the team in 2019  No 1000 yard rusher no tds from the defense  How does this defense not score on td in 17 games?

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Just amazing.

Good luck on your HC interview tomorrow, Brian.

I hope it goes real well  I'm ready for a new coordinator or for McDermott to stay the hell away from the offense 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Sometimes I wonder if Allen was the pick McDermott wanted.  Easy to throw him under the bus than admit your vaunted defense blew a 16 point lead while you called a toothless second half on defense. 

Fits the narrative that Daboll is not helping Allen often in games. 

2 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

It's not because of Josh, he was running for his life on a bunch of drop backs, dumb penalties & miss blocks on the o-line and dropped passes. I'm not blaming the guy who had 372 total yards out of our 425 and was the leading passer, rusher & caught the only TD we had. Nope even if I felt they way I'd know enough that Josh gave it everything he had and shut my mouth and have his back.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

It doesn't always have to be a run.  Lots of opportunities for shorter passes and screens, and we just didn't take advantage.

This is true, but if we're being honest, quite a bit of that falls on Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Singletary was averaging over 5 yards a carry. The run game was severely hampered by the inexcusable usage of Frank Gore. A complete drive killer that has been washed up since 2014. No reason to ever dress him for a game and these guys were handing him the ball in huge spots. I have been saying it all year, Yeldon would have made us a much better offense. Singletary and Yeldon. It’s a shame it’s over now. Never know what could have been.

Can't disagree on Gore/Yeldon.

Gore is just a BAD RB at this point and I would have activated Yeldon and sat Gore. Poor decision.

Frank Gore  has served well as mentor for Singletary.  But TJ Yeldon had some nice plays last week vs Jets, and he is a large body. Why no TJ tonight? He should have been the second option instead of Gore.

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yeah dimarco running a go is just brilliant

I thought the decision to throw that was odd tbh. It wasn't a bad throw considering but earlier in the game he would of thrown a shorter route. Just seemed like he's made the decision to launch it on that, can see what mcd is saying in this context. The replay from behind showed tight coverage but Allen had thrown tight throws in the game. 

Edited by london_bills

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Frank Gore  has served well as mentor for Singletary.  But TJ Yeldon had some nice plays last week vs Jets, and he is a large body. Why no TJ tonight? He should have been the second option instead of Gore.

McD/ Daboll terrified of a fumble. That’s pretty much it. 

1 minute ago, london_bills said:

I thought the decision to throw that was odd tbh. It wasn't a bad throw considering but earlier in the game he would of thrown a shorter route. Just seemed like he's made the decision to launch it on that, can see what mcd is saying in this context. The replay from behind showed tight coverage but Allen had thrown tight throws in the game. 

The point is- why is Dimarco running that route in the first place? 

• Haha (+1) 1