McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not convinced running the ball more is the answer given the personnel. They still can't run the ball when they need to run the ball in short yardage situations.

The OL is simply not a great run blocking unit and that needs to change. Singletary was very good, but the majority of his yards tend to come in non obvious run situations. I think they'd end up with little to nothing if they just force fed him the rock.

It doesn't always have to be a run.  Lots of opportunities for shorter passes and screens, and we just didn't take advantage.

tried to do too much lol? He had 372 total yards, he was our leading passer, rusher and caught the only TD. I know he makes a few boneheaded decisions in most games, but being directly responsible of 372 of the 425 total yards, I don't know if I would've come out with that statement tonight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

Absolutely , classless remarks by Sean. The kid was buried by free rushers caused by bad O-line breakdowns. Same thing happened at the end of Baltimore and N E.games. Why lay this loss on Josh, when you're responsible for the horrendous defensive ineptitude that resulted in the conversion of that 3rd and 18. How about the missed tackles on Watson's touchdown, 2pt conversion and OT backbreaker. This kid put us in position to get into OT and then win the game , if Ford doesn't commit the PF. Everyone had a role in this debauchery. Sean ,try and remember, this kid is our future. Don't destroy his confidence. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, BananaB said:

What’s funny about this is when they talk about JJs would be interception. If that was Mahommes or Brady throwing it through some Joe Blows arms they would be talking about how they threaded the needle to complete a pass under pressure. Hahaha. It would only be an interception if JJ caught it but he didn’t. 

Just like they dont mention Watson threw a ball directly to Neal who dropped it at their own like 30 yard line, possibly a pick-6

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not convinced running the ball more is the answer given the personnel. They still can't run the ball when they need to run the ball in short yardage situations.

The OL is simply not a great run blocking unit and that needs to change. Singletary was very good, but the majority of his yards tend to come in non obvious run situations. I think they'd end up with little to nothing if they just force fed him the rock.

Know what is sad?  The run blocking is miles better than the pass blocking.  Think about that.  Not saying a lot about the o-line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Know what is sad?  The run blocking is miles better than the pass blocking.  Think about that.  Not saying a lot about the o-line.

Agreed, and with that we still gave the ball to singletary 5 times less than Texans did with Hyde

6 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Absolutely , classless remarks by Sean. The kid was buried by free rushers caused by bad O-line breakdowns. Same thing happened at the end of Baltimore and N E.games. Why lay this loss on Josh, when you're responsible for the horrendous defensive ineptitude that resulted in the conversion of that 3rd and 18. How about the missed tackles on Watson's touchdown, 2pt conversion and OT backbreaker. This kid put us in position to get into OT and then win the game , if Ford doesn't commit the PF. Everyone had a role in this debauchery. Sean ,try and remember, this kid is our future. Don't destroy his confidence. 

Sometimes I wonder if Allen was the pick McDermott wanted.  Easy to throw him under the bus than admit your vaunted defense blew a 16 point lead while you called a toothless second half on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

This^^^^.  Singletary didn't have a single carry in OT.

Singeltary should have been Josh's best friend this season   Even dumb O'Brien put Duke Jackson back there as a dump off/relief valve for Watson in the final few drives  Coaching staff is mercurial in how they handle Allen/play call

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Sometimes I wonder if Allen was the pick McDermott wanted.  Easy to throw him under the bus than admit your vaunted defense blew a 16 point lead while you called a toothless second half on defense. 

Haven't watched the presser so I don't know exactly how he said what he said. 

Yeah it's interesting that he said this anyway, the drive near the end was BAD. Can't be happy with that 

1 minute ago, DuckyBoys said:

I think these coaches,in the heat of a crushing loss default to blaming the easy target, the young QB. Why would he admit his heralded defense could make the big stops at 16 to 0 late 3rd qtr.

1 minute ago, GregPersons said:

Oof.

Tough but fair. 

Oof. 

That's not to say Allen can't improve, but it's hard to have a consistent offense when the quarterback is still inconsistent and erratic as Josh has been this year and this game against a bad pass defense.

Edited by y2zipper