McDermott: Josh Allen 'tried to do too much' in loss

wppete

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps McDermott should have tried to do too much as well. Josh is a Fking competitor. I'm not so sure of our coaches. 

But McD raised the bar from "Playoff Caliber" to "Championship Caliber."  Problem is the coaches didn't approach the game that way after mid point in the second quarter.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

People are having a heart attack over the lateral and it had no effect in the game

Actually, it stopped the clock. We would have lost 15-20 secs. Also, had Knox actually been able to catch it, he may have run for 20 yards.

As sporadic as it seemed, it was better than getting tackled in bounds.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't get the lateral.

But since we're picking nits, it's in the no harm, no foul category.

I'll take that kind of *****, so long as I see all the other brilliant stuff he did on that drive.

Well that's the thing though. He DOES look like a trained killer sometimes!

But the bad is SO baffling. People keep saying it'll go away, but this was about the dumbest thing he's ever done. Int he biggest spot. I just don't see how that is in his head, at all.

A playoff loss is bad enough. But don't throw anyone under the bus, you can wreck next season! But the again, it's one question and it's getting blown out of proportion.

So many great and awful plays, from Josh to the coaches. And certainly... the refs with that 15 yard blindside block total BS call in overtime! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

One thing I found bizarre was the way they got conservative when up 16-0, then in OT they seemed to refuse to run Singletary. Did he even have a run in OT? They just seemed to air it out every play, which I found weird considering some of the success we had running the ball.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Mshaw said:

reality is gonna hit this team hard next season. we could go back to being a 6-8 win team again 

it's a tougher schedule for sure. swing two wins to losses and we are 8-8. Beat the Jets, Pats and Phins and we can still get to 10 wins. 

AFC East is going to be closer next season. God I hate saying that. 

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Almost every loss this year has been because of:

-asking to much of Allen

-not giving Singletary the ball enough 

I'm not convinced running the ball more is the answer given the personnel. They still can't run the ball when they need to run the ball in short yardage situations.

The OL is simply not a great run blocking unit and that needs to change. Singletary was very good, but the majority of his yards tend to come in non obvious run situations. I think they'd end up with little to nothing if they just force fed him the rock.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

I'm not convinced running the ball more is the answer given the personnel. They still can't run the ball when they need to run the ball in short yardage situations.

The OL is simply not a great run blocking unit and that needs to change. Singletary was very good, but the majority of his yards tend to come in non obvious run situations. I think they'd end up with little to nothing if they just force fed him the rock.

Singletary was averaging over 5 yards a carry. The run game was severely hampered by the inexcusable usage of Frank Gore. A complete drive killer that has been washed up since 2014. No reason to ever dress him for a game and these guys were handing him the ball in huge spots. I have been saying it all year, Yeldon would have made us a much better offense. Singletary and Yeldon. It’s a shame it’s over now. Never know what could have been.

7 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Why can't McD step to the mike and say we have to pledge a new philosophy next year, step on peoples throats, stay aggressive the whole game, and finish people off. When you blow a 16 pt lead in basically the fourth Qtr of a playoff game, you own it SEAN!!!!

Makes me wonder exactly what coach is made of if he resorts to this type of response TBH.

• Like (+1) 2