My only thoughts

Virgil

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am relatively sure that Virgil didn't mean the comment that you referenced to be taken in the literal sense. He puts an awful lot into being a Bills Fan and this loss obviously took a ton out of him. 

I'm thinking that almost everyone here has suffered the "Bills Blues" at some point, if not quite often lol. We are only here because we are fanatics to some degree.

Virgil will be fine. :)

He may not have (though he doubled down today) but I think there are some things that are a bit too over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2020 at 7:17 PM, Nextmanup said:

How about the one from 2 years ago?  We lost a wildcard game that year too, mostly for the same reason we lost today: didn't have a quarterback who could generate points/offense.

And by the way, what made this season "great" and what are your expectations for the team in general?

Your stuff gets old

On 1/4/2020 at 10:08 PM, Andy said:

Offensive play calls define the season.  Bills run some reverses, options, and unique plays that work, and then stop calling these plays,  same again today vs Texans.
Throw 3 passes in OT when we  only needed 15 yds and FG  for the win. The  RB getting  was getting it done as he has all season!  But not in OT?  And the designed QB runs at this point in the game make little sense. Start the game like Offensive tigers and end like a ***** cats. Only needed a FG in OT for the win!  Plane ticket to Cleveland.  Too much talent on team to experiment for another season.

Agreed. Just some weird stuff with the offense. Foster showed some ability last year. Total dud this year. Yeldon never played. Duke playing more than Beasley... 

I think there are a few things:

1. We’ve been productive doing some gimmicky things. Flea flicker, reverses etc. I think we rely on them so often because we aren’t consistently productive in a traditional sense. Inversely, they then disappear because you can’t build an offense for 16 weeks and a post season on those things

2. I think some of our inconsistencies is because we don’t have an offensive identity. Some of that is players. Some is coaching. Dabbol seems to be outsmarting himself. Our OL is bouncing week to week between zone blocking schemes. Personnel groups are just being tossed out the window randomly. (See Duke Williams in two random games) At some point you have to commit to something as a staple. Maybe it is because we aren’t really good at much? Chicken and the egg I guess...Obviously BD runs the offense so he takes a bunch of heat, but ultimately McD lets the circus continue for 16 weeks and a playoff game. He deserves equal blame for their blunders. 

On 1/5/2020 at 1:16 PM, Cripple Creek said:

Tough one to swallow, for sure.

i hate the thought of starting over with another OC, but you cannot waste opportunities and the window closes rapidly.  

Gore

No Beasley

Ford

Defensively you cannot give up two 2 point conversions in a game and make it look so easy (for the Texans).

How can you have 5 sacks in the first half, a handful of other stops for no/little gain and then do virtually nothing in the second half?

Tre...love you, but you got burned at the absolute worst time.

I don’t know if Watson wasn’t looking Hopkins way in the first half or coverage changed, but Tre was playing waaaaayyy off Hopkins in the second half. I didn’t get it. 

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Billsy, yes.

However, I disagree with just one thing.

We absolutely would have won this game if we had a true #1 WR.

Hope that's a focal point this off season.

Not only would the Bills have won the game, they would have dominated it! like 35-0. All those FGs should have been TDs.

They get to 13-0 and for some inexplicable reason forget what to do when they have a big lead. Run the crap outta the ball and control the clock and keep the Texans offense off the field while also keeping the Bills defense on the bench nice and fresh.

I don't know that a true #1 WR would have won that game with Josh Allen throwing the ball 48 times. There was absolutely no need to throw that much as Singletary with only 13 carries and why the :censored: was Frank Gore even on the field? Why did it take the last two games of the season to get Duke Williams involved?

This wasn't Billsy, this was outright stupidity!  There is only one guy I blame for this loss and for a lost season with a championship defense along with an underutilized running back.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:16 PM, Cripple Creek said:

i hate the thought of starting over with another OC, but you cannot waste opportunities and the window closes rapidly.  

I don't hate that thought! Mostly because I've seen what happens when you hire a competent OC. 

I don't even know who Arthur Smith is and have never even heard of him. But what he did with Ryan Tannehill and that Titans run game this season I'd love to see him in Buffalo calling plays. That run game they have is the exact identity the Buffalo Bills needed this season. For the love of god look at what the Titans did to the Patriots IN New England in that WC game. This is exactly what Buffalo should have done to NE 2x, to Baltimore, to Cleveland. 

People keep telling me that running the ball with authority is old fashioned and outdated and yet look at what Greg Roman did in Baltimore with the #1 run game.

Top running teams in 2019 in rushing yards per game, Baltimore-San Francisco-Tennessee-Dallas-Minnesota-Seattle-Indianapolis-Buffalo-Houston-Arizona-Philadelphia.

QB Drew Brees broke all sorts of passing records along with his #1 WR in the league in Michael Thomas with 149 receptions! The Saints went 13-3 and where are they now?