My only thoughts

Virgil

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

Chin up. Count your blessings. Your health, your daughter, your access to your mom's basement to post this stuff. Is it really that bad?

• Haha (+1) 1

Virgil,  I've enjoyed every one of your posts this season. Thanks, man. However, I know it hurts, a lot. But Virgil, don't let this game get to you. We're all (that

includes the Bills) are human. Things happen and please keep this in mind, the Bills are a young team and their rise has only begun. Same with McD. They have

a lot of potential going forward and the players, McD (who is still has a lot of upside going forward) will be improving next year. As they all gain more experience,

they will be better at putting teams away when they have the lead. Actually, they did pretty good for an offense that had difficulty scoring more that 20 points.

There's more I could put in, but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.  Take care, Virgil.

I understand why fans are salty, should’ve had a W yesterday. The way I see it though, the Texans were the better team and not for a minute did I expect a Bills win. I went into the game expecting a L, but after the first half I was fooled into thinking we’d win. Allen looks like a fish out of water in Daboll’s system. I’m hoping he gets hired away so we can bring in a real OC.

25 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Nah not my lane bill. Not even going to report it either - almost every reply he’s received in this thread has already pointed out how wildly unhinged and sad it is. Except yours of course. 

OK great. You can issue a me a vicious  verbal warning instead. First, please allow me to brace myself.

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m not bailing, but I think it’s time to re-evaluate what I put into them. 

I shouldn’t care this much.  It shouldn’t ruin my night. 

No it shouldn't ruin it entirely. For me, it messed me up for 1-2 hrs where I wanted to sort of sulk and then I decided, hey, I knew they could lose and now it is time to do some other thing. Which is only a bit worse than some of their bad regular season losses. You can't enjoy the wins but be 100% stoic about the losses. But, in the end... it sucks and then we move on. Next up: speculation on coaching changes and draft discussions.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

I agree, Houston has the 30th ranked pass defense and we should've put up some points. 

I dont think you have have to worry about Gore, I think he will retire, he knows he's done.

When you watch the replay of the game or that all 22 and it shows WR's, TE and RB's wide open on more than a few plays doesn't that fall on Allen. I liked everything that Daboll called except for the Gore runs, I haven't watched the replay of the game but I remember seeing players running wide open and Allen just not seeing them. 

This was so Billsy, its what we do every time and it's frustrating as hell. We were up by 16 points and couldn't muster any offense against the 30th ranked pass defense, I feel like somebody needs to be fired but I cannot pinpoint it.

10 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

dude relax. for the first time we werent worried about getting a playoff spot do to math equations. this was basically allens first year and has a high cealing. a rookie rb who looks like a solid pick, not sure why we didnt play him early and at least 1 impressive receiver in brown. O line can use some tooling but our weakness will get addressed.

we focused heavy D in the draft thr last 2 years and saw the results. they got us here now lets fix our shortcomings with a ton of cap.

hopefully josh grows out of this hero ball and bean does as good of a job with O selections that hes done with D

Sorry but the end of this season is not like the past at all to me. instead of us being in turmoil and screaming for a new coach, qb, gm ect. i think what we have is solid. just missing a few ingredients and more experience in key positions. things are promising imo so im excited about the future.

I am not convinced that Beane and McDermott are capable of effectively scouting and evaluating offensive talent. Their one hit on that side of the ball is Singletary and they have no idea how to use him in a game plan. They are too conservative and hold on to this outdated belief that defense can win them a championship. All the other teams in the AFC will retool and gather talent while they continue to focus on locker room culture. 

15 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

9 draft picks and 90+ mil in open cap. This team is going to be fine. This initial sting Of this loss will wear off, I promise. 

Haven’t we said this every year of this regime? A first round loss is not a success in my eyes. 

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I agree and I'm hoping McD comes out in the next few days and states this not what he said yesterday.

Aside from key situations and end of half/end of game I think McD lets Daboll call the game he wants and he needs to do a better job of coaching the coaches. I also think the coaches are still handcuffed with what they can and can't call based on player limitations and poor execution on offense. I also didn't see McD talking to Josh at any point trying to eliminate Wyoming Josh during the 4th after the flip to Knox etc.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK great. You can issue a me a vicious  verbal warning instead. First, please allow me to brace myself.

I appreciate the defense boss, I do.  I’m just exhausted from all of it.  If this is how you felt after some seasons, I get it.  

To immediately see the off-season posts an optimism, I just can’t right now 

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Virgil, I say this with much love:

Man the f- up, brother. 

You are too good a poster to offend me boss.  I know I’m breaking the cardinal rule of posting when angry. 

It just feels different.  I wasn’t remotely upset after the Jags playoff loss. I think I’m mad at myself for getting my hopes up, even though I expected them to lose in the next round.  Also, unlike previous seasons, I feel honestly less optimistic because I don’t know that the coaches will be able to get out of their own way.  

I thought sleeping it off would help, and it did a little, but I’m still not close to good.  

1 hour ago, jkirchofer said:

I am not convinced that Beane and McDermott are capable of effectively scouting and evaluating offensive talent. Their one hit on that side of the ball is Singletary and they have no idea how to use him in a game plan. They are too conservative and hold on to this outdated belief that defense can win them a championship. All the other teams in the AFC will retool and gather talent while they continue to focus on locker room culture. 

Haven’t we said this every year of this regime? A first round loss is not a success in my eyes. 

i guess if thats what you believe i cant find fault in that. beasley had his spots but wasnt the difference maker we hoped, ford seems out of his depth. knox seems ok but hes a rookie and te takes time. josh cant shake hero ball and mistakes are untimely. if you think none of this can be fixed, we are spinning our tires. i think it can given more time.

the AFC is retooling? jets give their young qb the biggest FA running back as a saftey net and were still garbage. miami is in qb limbo and the patriots might not even have brady anymore. not sure why your hopes are so high with the other afc teams and not us...seeing as we were better or AS successful in the playoffs.

Edited by Buffarukus

Just now, Virgil said:

You are too good a poster to offend me boss.  I know I’m breaking the cardinal rule of posting when angry. 

It just feels different.  I wasn’t remotely upset after the Jags playoff loss. I think I’m mad at myself for getting my hopes up, even though I expected them to lose in the next round.  Also, unlike previous seasons, I feel honestly less optimistic because I don’t know that the coaches will be able to get out of their own way.  

I thought sleeping it off would help, and it did a little, but I’m still not close to good.  

Totally understand but they just need talent.  At least they can walk away feeling they competed in that game and could’ve won it.  You think we’d all feel better after a pasting next weekend by a truly talented team?  Add some blue chip talent and we win late into January.

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I agree, Houston has the 30th ranked pass defense and we should've put up some points. 

I dont think you have have to worry about Gore, I think he will retire, he knows he's done.

When you watch the replay of the game or that all 22 and it shows WR's, TE and RB's wide open on more than a few plays doesn't that fall on Allen. I liked everything that Daboll called except for the Gore runs, I haven't watched the replay of the game but I remember seeing players running wide open and Allen just not seeing them. 

This was so Billsy, its what we do every time and it's frustrating as hell. We were up by 16 points and couldn't muster any offense against the 30th ranked pass defense, I feel like somebody needs to be fired but I cannot pinpoint it.

We're forgetting that was without JJ Watt for most of the season.  In the pregame yesterday, they mentioned that before Watt was injured, he was ranked number one in QB pressures.  He made a huge difference in the game.  Merciless plays better when Watt is in the game.  Our o-line leaked like a sieve in that second half.  That's why I couldn't understand why we ran so much empty backfield plays.  If there's no threat of a run, that only increases the pressure on Allen. Most of the time, Allen didn't even have a second to get the ball away.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

You could pick this game apart 50 different ways, but everyone owns this loss except for maybe Singletary.  

Totally agree. Pretty much a complete team loss. Maybe would include special teams and White as one's we can't pin the loss on as well. 

Some people are scared of next seasons schedule with the tougher opponents on paper and our inability to beat a winning team this season. But I sort of look at that differently. In some ways we were unlucky odds wise to not beat Baltimore or New England at least once despite playing three games but one score or less. Even though we have tougher on paper opponents I think we will at least win one or two of those games next season. 

The offense did not play at some extraordinarily high and unsustainable level this year. Not at all unreasonable to think they won't improve several spots at minimum in PPG and YPG rankings. Defense might not be able to make a third straight year as a top three unit so however many spots the D might decline in the rankings hopefully we have at least an equal jump in the rankings for the offense. But also on the plus side for the defense, they did not have unsustainable sack, Takeway or TD totals. In fact they had no defensive TD's at all. So in some ways, while the D could slip in PPG and YPG, they have a better chance of staying around the same or even improving in sacks, takeaways or TD's.

I could wait a few days and write these, but I honestly don’t want to.  I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.  I’ll be honest, this game broke me so don’t expect many, if any responses to this.  If I stick around, I’ll probably get banned because of the people around here who can’t handle a loss without making ridiculous comments about players/users that are unwarranted and disrespectful. 

A few weeks ago I said that I was going to retire the term Billsy, but then I forgot the true definition of the word.  It’s when the team lulls you into this false sense of security and then rips it out from under you. This year, they made a whole season and half a playoff game. 

I’ve never seen a team be that in control of a game going into half and then completely fall apart in every phase of the game. 

You could pick this game apart 50 different ways, but everyone owns this loss except for maybe Singletary.  

I had all the reasons why they should have won or lost written out but the truth is, it’s everything.  Every single aspect of the game had a severe pro and con that both lost or could’ve won the game.  

It was a Billsy end to an otherwise decent season.  They managed to make every single mistake that they’ve shown glimpses of this season in just one half. 

I’m sick to my stomach about this loss. The fans deserve better.  You deserve better.  

We were honestly the better team out there until the Gods remembered we are the Bills and we will always find a way to lose in the worst possible way.  

In a season where we didn’t beat anyone, the questions will remain of what this team can be. 

Here’s what I do know:

-We didn’t lose this game because we don’t have a true #1

-The offense hasn’t played a complete game this entire season

-whether it’s the Pats or the playoffs, we find a way to not execute (tackling, lead blocks)

-We earned a little bit of respect this season, but on the big stage, we are expected to lose in the moment 

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, Phillips, Shaq)

-Ford had too many growing pains as a rookie and shouldn’t be handed anything

I’m out

Tough one to swallow, for sure.

i hate the thought of starting over with another OC, but you cannot waste opportunities and the window closes rapidly.  

Gore

No Beasley

Ford

Defensively you cannot give up two 2 point conversions in a game and make it look so easy (for the Texans).

How can you have 5 sacks in the first half, a handful of other stops for no/little gain and then do virtually nothing in the second half?

Tre...love you, but you got burned at the absolute worst time.

I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.

I am the same way.  I have been pretty apathetic when it comes to watching the playoffs besides the Super bowl over the last few years, but nothing like after the game yesterday.  I'll go to a Super Bowl party and watch the game with friends for the social aspect, but I am pretty much done with football until August.

At least I have Syracuse basketball to look forward to.......Oh....wait......

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, do you want to go ahead and give him a vicious verbal warning? ??

I'll be taking care of that part

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m not bailing, but I think it’s time to re-evaluate what I put into them.

I shouldn’t care this much.  It shouldn’t ruin my night. 

From everything you're saying here, you absolutely should re-evaluate.

• Like (+1) 1