My only thoughts

Virgil

Goodness! I was just starting to move on after a long night of no sleep. Now I'm fighting depression reading this thread--someone set up a watch at Virgil's house, I'm worried for the guy.

To all, from someone who's been a Bill's fan since Jack Kemp was the QB, listen, it's okay. There is a lot to like on this team going forward. Remember what we were picked in the preseason, 6, maybe 7 wins? Step back, keep it in perspective, our identity in life is not based on being a Bills fan. Yes, being  a Bills fan is a true "first world" problem for us, but come on man, it's a game, we're fans, but there are too many real problems in life to let this be so depressing.

Take a day or two to sulk, but look at the foundation that has been laid to go forward with. This was not a Super Bowl contending team. It is a highly entertaining team, do the work in the off-season, and come back ready to take the AFC East next September.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

These two don’t match up and we definetly need a #1 who won’t leave points on the board like Duke did 

Brown and Hauschka also left points on the board!

All in all - 16 points were left on the board (2 TDs, 1 FG, 1 PA) 

Edited by cd1

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

I could wait a few days and write these, but I honestly don’t want to.  I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.  I’ll be honest, this game broke me so don’t expect many, if any responses to this.  If I stick around, I’ll probably get banned because of the people around here who can’t handle a loss without making ridiculous comments about players/users that are unwarranted and disrespectful. 

A few weeks ago I said that I was going to retire the term Billsy, but then I forgot the true definition of the word.  It’s when the team lulls you into this false sense of security and then rips it out from under you. This year, they made a whole season and half a playoff game. 

I’ve never seen a team be that in control of a game going into half and then completely fall apart in every phase of the game. 

You could pick this game apart 50 different ways, but everyone owns this loss except for maybe Singletary.  

I had all the reasons why they should have won or lost written out but the truth is, it’s everything.  Every single aspect of the game had a severe pro and con that both lost or could’ve won the game.  

It was a Billsy end to an otherwise decent season.  They managed to make every single mistake that they’ve shown glimpses of this season in just one half. 

I’m sick to my stomach about this loss. The fans deserve better.  You deserve better.  

We were honestly the better team out there until the Gods remembered we are the Bills and we will always find a way to lose in the worst possible way.  

In a season where we didn’t beat anyone, the questions will remain of what this team can be. 

Here’s what I do know:

-We didn’t lose this game because we don’t have a true #1

-The offense hasn’t played a complete game this entire season

-whether it’s the Pats or the playoffs, we find a way to not execute (tackling, lead blocks)

-We earned a little bit of respect this season, but on the big stage, we are expected to lose in the moment 

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, Phillips, Shaq)

-Ford had too many growing pains as a rookie and shouldn’t be handed anything

I’m out

I don't agree. I've seen a pretty fair amount of games turn at halftime after early domination. I think if you go back and look at it, you will think of a bunch yourself. This wasn't so much Billsy, IMO as it was a team - the offense in particular - just not being good enough.

I agree it's on nearly everyone, though.

I just never saw this team as a top five or six group. In talent, I thought they were just about where they ended up, maybe 10th to 12th in the league, damn good on defense and sputtery and inconsistent on offense. I was really hopeful about this game. But I didn't think they had a chance at being competitive for a title this year. They just aren't there yet.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

you just sound like a beaten dog dude. And you just doubled down on the lame. Who on earth are you to make a blanket criticism of these guys’ characters because they lost a football game? Wild bro.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought about staying away from the insanity around here that is sure to follow this game.

But then I though why?

This team and fanbase have nothing to be ashamed of.

Despite all the chaos of the 4th quarter they were in a position to win it until that BS crack back block call on Ford put them out of FG range.

We need reasonable voices posting here Virgil.

Sure it hurts to lose this game but like the players we need to pull up our socks and stand up for Buffalo.

This team is going to be great and soon Buffalo will be talking proud again :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

These two don’t match up and we definetly need a #1 who won’t leave points on the board like Duke did 

We've got a #1 in John Brown.

Yeah, we need a major upgrade at #3, and if he is as good as Brown, that would be terrific.

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

We've got a #1 in John Brown.

Yeah, we need a major upgrade at #3, and if he is as good as Brown, that would be terrific.

Brown is a great #2 Beasley is our #3 slot guy

We need a Cory Davis big fast and strong #1 who can catch contested balls.

18 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Dude, that's both offensive and untrue.

Plenty of women leave, press charges. Whatever. Heard of restraining orders? Heard of them being violated?

Yeah, there are some women who suffer through this and stay for various reasons, but that doesn't even begin to justify your statement here.

Cool your jets. It's a frickin' football game. You're better than this. What you're suffering isn't in the same solar system as what you're referencing here.

I am relatively sure that Virgil didn't mean the comment that you referenced to be taken in the literal sense. He puts an awful lot into being a Bills Fan and this loss obviously took a ton out of him. 

I'm thinking that almost everyone here has suffered the "Bills Blues" at some point, if not quite often lol. We are only here because we are fanatics to some degree.

Virgil will be fine. :)

I don’t know why some of you were so shocked by what happened - the things that undid the Bills last night had been happening all year.  They mostly won despite it.  Last night a great QB used to playing in big games made plays at critical moments, and took advantage of the same Bills mistakes we’ve seen all year and under the McBeane regime.

Speaking of which, that regime still has not shown that it understands offense and the modern NFL.  There have been so many miscues in drafting, personnel, scouting, trades, coaching hires and game planning on the offensive side of the ball under Beane and McD.  I have close to zero confidence they know what they’re doing on offense. 

As I said elsewhere, it’s times like these I wish we had a more sophisticated and stable ownership group.  The Pegulas know even less about what it takes to win in the NFL.  They hired Rex and let him fire his OC (who happened to be the best OC in the league this year).  They let McD trade away a draft pick that would’ve brought them one of two great QBs (both better than the one they ended up with).  They have done nothing to ensure a team identity on offense that matches the modern NFL.

McBeane should be commended for building up a flailing program.  They did that, great.  Now the expectations need to be raised.  Because if the Pegulas are satisfied with mediocrity - which don’t get me wrong, is an upgrade from where we’ve been - they won’t be getting my money going forward.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am relatively sure that Virgil didn't mean the comment that you referenced to be taken in the literal sense. He puts an awful lot into being a Bills Fan and this loss obviously took a ton out of him. 

I'm thinking that almost everyone here has suffered the "Bills Blues" at some point, if not quite often lol. We are only here because we are fanatics to some degree.

Virgil will be fine. :)

And i am definitely sure that his intent doesn’t matter in this case - it’s not a comparison that many people are going to take lightly, your best efforts to defend him aside. ?

Edited by JoPoy88

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

The entire decade of the 70s they failed to beat the Miami Dolphins once as Don Shula owned Buffalo! Chuck Knox changed that and then the Bills owner lets him walk because he didn't want to give him a raise!

Four super bowl losses only to see arguably the greatest GM of his time who built a SB team in Buffalo leave because the owner was such a notoriously cantankerous, frugal team owner.

You want to know frustration...be a Bills fan from the 70's to late 80's and again from the 2000's to 2018. All those years from the 60's championships to the late 80's. Then watching Tom Brady and Bill Belichick own the Buffalo Bills for almost 20 years has been the epitome of frustration. 

These years since the 2017 season are growing pains as usually no team goes from bottom of the division in one season. It usually takes years to build a super bowl contender.

Jim Kelly's first season in Buffalo was a 1986 4-12 loser with the HC fired and replaced. The next full season under Marv Levy / Kelly was a 7-8 loser but we Bills fans could see the team getting better. The 1988 12-4 season the Bills went to Cincy for the AFC Championship game. In 1989 they went 9-7 and to Cleveland for a WC game. Growing pains...

If you know me you know that I have been preaching to run the ball more and throw less all season. This current OC has been like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with his game calling and when the Bills run it more than they throw it they have won games. Conversely when they throw it more they lose.

The Tennessee Titans just showed the world how to beat the New England Patriots IN New England with Derrick Henry rushing for 34 carries 182 yards, 1 TD. Buffalo is a better team then the Titans as they beat them in Tennessee this season. Better defense for certain. Moron for an OC at times who refuses to run the ball in some games. This Titans win in NE is nothing new as Baltimore has done this a few times over the years by running the ball down Belichick's throat.

From another thread. 

"If you go back and look over what has won games on offense for the Bills the latter half of this season. Its when they have a balanced offensive attack or run more often and pass less. 

That Steelers game, Buffalo 38 rushes, 25 passes =win!

That Cowboys game, Buffalo 34 rushes, 25 passes = win!

That Denver game, Buffalo 47 rushes, 25 passes = win! 

That Redskins game, Buffalo 39 rushes, 20 passes =win!

Conversely, 

That Cleveland Game, Buffalo 20 rushes, 41 passes = loss

That Baltimore game, Buffalo 23 rushes, 49 passes=loss

That New England game, Buffalo 23 rushes, 26 passes=loss

That Texans game, Buffalo 30 rushes, 48 passes=loss Josh Allen had 9 carries for 92 yards a 10.2 YPC avg and 1 receiving TD. 

Notice the trend here when Buffalo runs the ball more then they throw it, they win! When they pass more it puts more pressure on that young QB to carry the game and they lose."

Take solace in knowing that the Bills now have a GM that might be as good or even better then ex Bills GM Bill Polian. The Bills now have owners who don't need the team to make a profit to support themselves and want to win above all else. This is a first time head coach and first time GM who will make mistakes as they go as they are both learning.

I think the 2020 Buffalo Bills will be a better team after this years draft and free agency. My biggest hope is Bills OC Brian Daboll takes a job as HC elsewhere or is fired because he stinks and will end up ruining Josh Allen. Asking Allen to throw 48 times was moronic as was asking Singletary to rush only 13 times.

Why was Frank Gore in the game with 8 runs for 22 yards yards a 2.8 YPC avg, with 14 yards the longest and do the math. Take away that one 14 yard run,  7 carries for 7 yards = 1.0 YPC avg. 

The Bills offensive line should get better. The Bills receiving corps should get better. Look forward to 2020, its all we can do...BTW, The Patriots dynasty might finally be over!!!!

Good times ahead! 

In all fairness, the Texans are a 2nd half team.......the coaching staff didn't have the guys prepared for the 2nd half onslaught that Houston brought.........throw in some conservative play calling up 16 points and you get what you get.

I’m bummed, but I’m thankful for a great season and the direction this team is heading in the future.  I just can’t relate to vitriol and intense pessimism that I’m reading on here this morning.  

I see one poster in particular calling for Josh Allen’s head.  Really?!  Some of you maybe should step away from your computers/phones for a couple weeks.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

And i am definitely sure that his intent doesn’t matter in this case - it’s not a comparison that many people are going to take lightly, your best efforts to defend him aside. ?

OK, do you want to go ahead and give him a vicious verbal warning? ??

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Virgil, you're correct that many of the players on that flight are millionaires, and even those who are not are well-paid.

But I don't think you know too much about football if you "know those players are completely fine on that flight home".    Those guys are playing an incredibly physical, punishing game.  They are competitors.  They play to win.  They hate to lose.  Beane has been at pains to cull the smiling paycheck grabbers from the roster.  I guaran-*****-tee it that every one of those guys on that plane has a sick knot in his stomach right now and a sour, bitter taste in his mouth and probably a pounding head to go along with the "normal" post-game soreness that is coming over their bodies as the endorphins fade and they stiffen up, a feeling we civilians only come close to experiencing if we go for a rugged backpacking trip or build a retaining wall slinging 85 lb blocks around all day, then get in a car wreck on the drive home.  Yeah, that's how a football player feels - every week.  Winning makes it bearable.  Losing amplifies it.

Some of them may be joking or kidding around but it's got that self-protective 'edge' to it that 1st responders and emergency nurses and physicians get.  If you ever overhear a crew of EMTs making "dead baby" jokes I promise it's not because they don't love kids and cherish life and that they feel horrid when they lose one.  It's self-protection.

Then maybe you should step back and step away from this.  Because the ones who are fine, really are us, the fans.  I won't take a trashing in the media.  I won't have people tweeting me I should kill myself.  It doesn't affect my family, or my life, my professional reputation, my financial situation, or my livelihood.  It's entertainment to me.  Entertainment I'm passionate about, and invested in, but still, entertainment.

This is actually the part that comes closest to getting under my skin.  I am not persuaded the coaching is the right coaching.  I don't feel they put the best players on the field, let alone in the best position to make plays.   I feel it's been a pattern all season.  And that makes it hard for me to feel "hopeful" for next year.

I got nothin' for you there.  There's a reason I'm still "Hapless Bills Fan" despite the 10-6 record and the promising QB and all.  Learn from your mistakes, Virgil.  Do better.

Great Post Hapless! Nothing to add.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I have this feeling that this coaching staff lived up to the billing to change the culture and reset the direction of the team, I am not convinced that this is the staff that will get us over the hump for the very reasons you state above. I'm confident in the FO, but the coaching staff needs to really look long and hard at themselves and evolve.

I agree and I'm hoping McD comes out in the next few days and states this not what he said yesterday.

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, do you want to go ahead and give him a viscous verbal warning? ??

Nah not my lane bill. Not even going to report it either - almost every reply he’s received in this thread has already pointed out how wildly unhinged and sad it is. Except yours of course. 

Obviously not happy with the outcome and the way it ended.  However, I am really excited about next season.  I can't remember the last time I felt like we might have a team that can win not only the AFC East but compete for a Super Bowl.  You sprinkle in a few play makers WR, RB, OL, CB, DE and replace Alexander at LB and this team can win the AFC East.  Yes that's a lot of positions to upgrade but they have the Cap Space and Draft Picks to do it.  If you can't look through the forest to see the trees then I feel bad for you.  When was the last off-season any of us actually thought a Super Bowl was at least possible?  1999?