My only thoughts

Virgil

I am in the exact same boat and it's one of those sleepless nights that bring back over 45 years of heartbreak and pain that this team brings every year at some point. One Super Bowl win would erase a lifetime of Billsy misery.  The way they lose is nauseating, but I finally thought that this year, this team had got over being Billsy.

I believed in the culture change, the attitude, the talent and the grit this team had. Then in one half, they regress to being one of those 6-10 teams I've watched for nearly five decades.  I haven't got really emotional over losses this year and have been trying to grow out of them. But this team brings back a frustrated kid who Billieved they were going to win the SuperBowl only to see it sail wide right.  

There has to be 1,000 ways we've ***** up over the years, but to see them all in one half was pathetic. Other than the home-run throwback, I don't think I've been this disappointed in a long time.

41 minutes ago, stevewin said:

It's actually crazy that even with the 2nd half collapse and being down we somehow stopped them on 4th and were able to send it into OT

The OT was simply unbelievable - so many individual plays that if just one had gone the other way.....just one

You can't get a closer game than this one.

I know it's "the thing" to find one play/player/coach to blame a loss on but just about every Buffalo Bills could of changed the outcome.

You also got to give credit to the Texans for hanging in there, they could of easily folded in the 3rd.

I'll be sad for a while about this one!

15 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not bailing, but I think it’s time to re-evaluate what I put into them. 

I shouldn’t care this much.  It shouldn’t ruin my night. 

You basically write a blog after every game!  Of course it ruins your night, most of us are just stewing but you’re voluntarily rehashing the entire game.  In the best possible way, I say you got it bad! In your honor:

When I find myself in times of trouble

these ****ing officials come for me

Calling illegal crack backs 

Let it be

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Would they have taken that TD away from the Pats?

Who were those "referee assistants" that calmly came over and instantly changed the head referee's mind? Why did the line judge ask the ref if his mic was off during the meeting?

I'm willing to bet the convo went something like this: "New York says they want this game to remain close. It's an iffy call and nobody will complain if you turn it around."

If you think I'm wearing a tin foil hat, I have a bridge to sell you. 

46 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

dude relax. for the first time we werent worried about getting a playoff spot do to math equations. this was basically allens first year and has a high cealing. a rookie rb who looks like a solid pick, not sure why we didnt play him early and at least 1 impressive receiver in brown. O line can use some tooling but our weakness will get addressed.

we focused heavy D in the draft thr last 2 years and saw the results. they got us here now lets fix our shortcomings with a ton of cap.

hopefully josh grows out of this hero ball and bean does as good of a job with O selections that hes done with D

Sorry but the end of this season is not like the past at all to me. instead of us being in turmoil and screaming for a new coach, qb, gm ect. i think what we have is solid. just missing a few ingredients and more experience in key positions. things are promising imo so im excited about the future.

Yes. But you have to take advantage of playoff opportunities when you have them

You never know what will be in the future. Schedule. Injuries, bad bounces ..

We had a cream puff schedule this year and almost no injuries

Next years schedule is much harder and dolphins and jets dont look like pushovers

Anymore

We have a lot of cap room but will need to save $ for tre and JA

Falcons had a super bowl "won" a few years ago and have not even  come close since. You dont get that many opportunities so cannot squander those you have

I have been saying "there is always next year" for 50+ years. Getting a little tired of it

Go bills, there is always next year?

To me the term Billsy is the consistency of being anti-clutch, of not making the plays when they count most.

Totally disagree on a the need for a no.1 receiver, this game showed Beasley is JAG, Duke showed flashes Mckenzie is a nothing burger and JB was OK.   Improving this offense has to be the no.1 priority, younger-quicker replacement for Gore.   More WR depth and elite talent, and another TE than can do something.  

Offensive philosophy has to get more aggressive, more points, longer drives would help this D a ton.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives.

Virgil, you're correct that many of the players on that flight are millionaires, and even those who are not are well-paid.

But I don't think you know too much about football if you "know those players are completely fine on that flight home".    Those guys are playing an incredibly physical, punishing game.  They are competitors.  They play to win.  They hate to lose.  Beane has been at pains to cull the smiling paycheck grabbers from the roster.  I guaran-*****-tee it that every one of those guys on that plane has a sick knot in his stomach right now and a sour, bitter taste in his mouth and probably a pounding head to go along with the "normal" post-game soreness that is coming over their bodies as the endorphins fade and they stiffen up, a feeling we civilians only come close to experiencing if we go for a rugged backpacking trip or build a retaining wall slinging 85 lb blocks around all day, then get in a car wreck on the drive home.  Yeah, that's how a football player feels - every week.  Winning makes it bearable.  Losing amplifies it.

Some of them may be joking or kidding around but it's got that self-protective 'edge' to it that 1st responders and emergency nurses and physicians get.  If you ever overhear a crew of EMTs making "dead baby" jokes I promise it's not because they don't love kids and cherish life and that they feel horrid when they lose one.  It's self-protection.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

Then maybe you should step back and step away from this.  Because the ones who are fine, really are us, the fans.  I won't take a trashing in the media.  I won't have people tweeting me I should kill myself.  It doesn't affect my family, or my life, my professional reputation, my financial situation, or my livelihood.  It's entertainment to me.  Entertainment I'm passionate about, and invested in, but still, entertainment.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play. (....)

This is actually the part that comes closest to getting under my skin.  I am not persuaded the coaching is the right coaching.  I don't feel they put the best players on the field, let alone in the best position to make plays.   I feel it's been a pattern all season.  And that makes it hard for me to feel "hopeful" for next year.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

I got nothin' for you there.  There's a reason I'm still "Hapless Bills Fan" despite the 10-6 record and the promising QB and all.  Learn from your mistakes, Virgil.  Do better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I could wait a few days and write these, but I honestly don’t want to.  I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.  I’ll be honest, this game broke me so don’t expect many, if any responses to this.  If I stick around, I’ll probably get banned because of the people around here who can’t handle a loss without making ridiculous comments about players/users that are unwarranted and disrespectful. 

A few weeks ago I said that I was going to retire the term Billsy, but then I forgot the true definition of the word.  It’s when the team lulls you into this false sense of security and then rips it out from under you. This year, they made a whole season and half a playoff game. 

I’ve never seen a team be that in control of a game going into half and then completely fall apart in every phase of the game. 

You could pick this game apart 50 different ways, but everyone owns this loss except for maybe Singletary.  

I had all the reasons why they should have won or lost written out but the truth is, it’s everything.  Every single aspect of the game had a severe pro and con that both lost or could’ve won the game.  

It was a Billsy end to an otherwise decent season.  They managed to make every single mistake that they’ve shown glimpses of this season in just one half. 

I’m sick to my stomach about this loss. The fans deserve better.  You deserve better.  

We were honestly the better team out there until the Gods remembered we are the Bills and we will always find a way to lose in the worst possible way.  

In a season where we didn’t beat anyone, the questions will remain of what this team can be. 

Here’s what I do know:

-We didn’t lose this game because we don’t have a true #1

-The offense hasn’t played a complete game this entire season

-whether it’s the Pats or the playoffs, we find a way to not execute (tackling, lead blocks)

-We earned a little bit of respect this season, but on the big stage, we are expected to lose in the moment 

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, Phillips, Shaq)

-Ford had too many growing pains as a rookie and shouldn’t be handed anything

I’m out

Goodbye then, They are who they are. It’s a team with a good defense and a offense that struggles to score.  Did you really think they would score more points then what they averaged all year. This team is growing and yes it sucks but they are going to be really good. Josh is going to take more time to develop but he is going to be a great QB. The bills are heading in the right direction. 

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

Nah man.  They may be millionaires but they are competitors.  This loss hurt them as much as the fans.  I also don't believe we are inconsequential to them.  They love their fans and this city.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is actually the part that comes closest to getting under my skin.  I am not persuaded the coaching is the right coaching.  I don't feel they put the best players on the field, let alone in the best position to make plays.   I feel it's been a pattern all season.  And that makes it hard for me to feel "hopeful" for next year.

I have this feeling that this coaching staff lived up to the billing to change the culture and reset the direction of the team, I am not convinced that this is the staff that will get us over the hump for the very reasons you state above. I'm confident in the FO, but the coaching staff needs to really look long and hard at themselves and evolve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

*  So much to address:

I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.
*  Enjoy the vaca.  See you before the draft I'm sure.

I’ve never seen a team be that in control of a game going into half and then completely fall apart in every phase of the game. 
*  They outplayed Houston for sure, but the 13 points were not control.  Less than two scores against a team with offensive playmakers.

You could pick this game apart 50 different ways, but everyone owns this loss except for maybe Singletary.

*  I agree with others that House should be on this list.  I also don't recall an error by Roberts, nor Ferguson.

I had all the reasons why they should have won or lost written out but the truth is, it’s everything.  Every single aspect of the game had a severe pro and con that both lost or could’ve won the game.

*  Therin lies the problem.  There were some nice moments and plays, but there were so many moments that were disappointing to watch and many were not forced by the Texans, they were self-inflicted errors. 

It was a Billsy end to an otherwise decent season.  They managed to make every single mistake that they’ve shown glimpses of this season in just one half.

*  The lateral was new.  Otherwise, if we knew that these warts were all there to be seen, I don't fully understand why looking at them again is such a surprise.

I’m sick to my stomach about this loss. The fans deserve better.  You deserve better.

*  Based on many of the reactions on the Stadium Wall, I don't agree many of these fans deserve better.  I'd much prefer to read intelligent comments from people that have legitimate ideas about how to see the Bills at least maintain the momentum they've built and hopefully improve it.  Many of the comments I read are either a waste of time, or genuinely disturbing.

We were honestly the better team out there until the Gods remembered we are the Bills and we will always find a way to lose in the worst possible way.

*  The Gods had nothing to do with this.  This team is improving.  It's not a championship level team yet.  Defensively they are very, very good, but not truly dominant.  Offensively, we have quite a ways to go.  Getting to the playoffs with this collection of talent is actually quite a feat.  Thankfully, we're clearly better than some teams, and clearly not as good as the upper echelon teams.

*  Bonus thought:  I live in San Diego now and seeing first hand how many different ways the Chargers have found ways to lose, believe me, what Buffalo has done does not even scratch the surface.  I suspect Browns fans may also take issue with your "worst possible way" comment.

Here’s what I do know:

-We didn’t lose this game because we don’t have a true #1

* Maybe, maybe not.  We at least need another solid #2 receiver to give us 3 legitimate weapons (yes, I'm considering Beasley a weapon, even if he's ignored too often)

-The offense hasn’t played a complete game this entire season

* Totally agree.  I'm not even sure they've played two full quarters in a game.  The 1st & 3rd quarters much of the season have been futile

-whether it’s the Pats or the playoffs, we find a way to not execute (tackling, lead blocks)

*  Again, we're not elite, so not surprising

-We earned a little bit of respect this season, but on the big stage, we are expected to lose in the moment

*  20 years of sucking will do that to public perception

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, Phillips, Shaq)

*  Brown did throw a TD, but otherwise the group did not make game changing plays no.  Shaq did have two tackles despite playing hurt, so I'm inclined to give him some slack

-Ford had too many growing pains as a rookie and shouldn’t be handed anything

*  More importantly, why was he not given help all season?  He's clearly not ready to compete with outside speed.  We needed to scheme far better to make that less of an issue.

Edited by familykwi
punctuation error
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ticketssince61 said:

Yes. But you have to take advantage of playoff opportunities when you have them

You never know what will be in the future. Schedule. Injuries, bad bounces ..

We had a cream puff schedule this year and almost no injuries

Next years schedule is much harder and dolphins and jets dont look like pushovers

Anymore

We have a lot of cap room but will need to save $ for tre and JA

Falcons had a super bowl "won" a few years ago and have not even  come close since. You dont get that many opportunities so cannot squander those you have

I have been saying "there is always next year" for 50+ years. Getting a little tired of it

Go bills, there is always next year?

i agree. theres a ton of stuff that we can look back at and hindsight about the game, decisions, roster but at the end of the day we lost. not in the old way. we werent blown out. we arent out of our league and the only game we could look back at as being dominated was the Philadelphia game.

noone wants to accept a moral victory but i can look back and say we fought hard this season, we gained national respect and every team knew it wasnt going to be a easy win. like the past. 

the circumstances with the young talent, drafts that have payed off pretty well and not being up against the cap suggest we are in the right direction. its not that way for other teams. 

last year we got better this year we got a secured playoff spot early where we actually had a bye week against the jets...there is nothing to suggest that improvment stops.

we have no big names or superstars and we still went toe to toe with allstars jj watt and hopkins. jets signed the biggest fa rb and were still garbage there coach sucks.and miami is in qb purgatory we know so well .the patriots seem like are finally hitting a decline with impending punishment from the league to boot.

id much rather be us.

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

With all due respect, this fan thinks that you are looking at this the wrong way.

You know who had a successful season? You. You personally. You were able to promote great discussion among a bunch of jaded, tough customers (I being one of them). Certainly this game was a particularly tough loss and it got worse when NE lost (which I predicted). Still, as bad as this was, I would take this over:

1) Losing another Super Bowl.

2) One of those seasons where we had zero chance to win, and then we would beat a  top team to end the season and get worse draft picks.

3) Having such a bad draft that it was obvious before the season started that we wold not only fail to improve, but go backwards.

4) Playing in a tough town with tough fans with horrible lines on both sides of the ball.

These things bothered me more than what happened yesterday, but back to you.....

Thanks for coming here week after week with your thoughtful analysis. I know that it isn't easy, and it stops you from watching the game like a normal fan. Don't get discouraged. We still have the team, this forum, and the dream that one day it will all come together.

Maybe we will draft a great receiver or 2 in April. Maybe our lines will get better. Maybe we will sign Derrick Henry as a UFA. Maybe Josh will become a bit more accurate with his great arm. Maybe this game will have have taught McDermott some lessons.

I don't know but thanks again to you, and to all who participate in the dialogue that has been going on here for decades. I hope and expect to live long enough to see the Bills to win a title.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m not bailing, but I think it’s time to re-evaluate what I put into them. 

I shouldn’t care this much.  It shouldn’t ruin my night. 

I have felt this way many times in the 50 years I’ve been following this team.  It’s tough to not go all in on rooting for a team, but it might be healthier.