My only thoughts

Virgil

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

That's why I'm still so bummed. The stubbornness of the coaching staff. 

How can I look forward to next year if they will continue with this kind of conservative everything?

It's actually crazy that even with the 2nd half collapse and being down we somehow stopped them on 4th and were able to send it into OT

The OT was simply unbelievable - so many individual plays that if just one had gone the other way.....just one

The reason everyone is so angry, plaintive, disillusioned, etc, is the same reason this is the best fan base in the league: we love our Bills.

We show up at airports, we drive 500 miles to away games, we’re loud, we smash tables, we  cheer big and on days like this, we mourn big. 

I know it’s been an awful two decades, I feel it too. But things are getting better. There was a lot to hate about this game, but also a lot to love about this season. We’ll keep progressing and when the day comes that we’re world champs, it’ll feel all the sweeter. 

Imagine how these players and coaches are feeling too. I hope we still show up at the airport, and if you can’t do that, send a player a tweet saying thank you. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

In the grand scheme of things, 31/32 teams fans are let down every season, some teams may let their fans down more than others in any given season, but if this season crushes you this hard, how the heck did you make it through the last couple decades?

This team has made great strides to return the franchise to respectability this season, and they are trending in the right direction....keep your chin up!

I think when you have had a couple of days to decompress from this tough loss, you will see that as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

dude relax. for the first time we werent worried about getting a playoff spot do to math equations. this was basically allens first year and has a high cealing. a rookie rb who looks like a solid pick, not sure why we didnt play him early and at least 1 impressive receiver in brown. O line can use some tooling but our weakness will get addressed.

we focused heavy D in the draft thr last 2 years and saw the results. they got us here now lets fix our shortcomings with a ton of cap.

hopefully josh grows out of this hero ball and bean does as good of a job with O selections that hes done with D

Sorry but the end of this season is not like the past at all to me. instead of us being in turmoil and screaming for a new coach, qb, gm ect. i think what we have is solid. just missing a few ingredients and more experience in key positions. things are promising imo so im excited about the future.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Virgil said:

There is always the other team in town that are good at home. Or are you like most Bills fans and don't Ike the Sabres or hockey. 

13 hours ago, Special K said:

In the grand scheme of things, 31/32 teams fans are let down every season, some teams may let their fans down more than others in any given season, but if this season crushes you this hard, how the heck did you make it through the last couple decades?

This team has made great strides to return the franchise to respectability this season, and they are trending in the right direction....keep your chin up!

I think when you have had a couple of days to decompress from this tough loss, you will see that as well.

I get that and honestly expected to lose next week.  I didn’t think we were going all the way.  

It’s losing how we did.  It’s losing when we should have won.  It’s losing because your coaches refuse to adapt and there’s no reason to believe it will change and it’s going to be this way for a while to come. 

13 hours ago, Aaronthebaron said:

The reason everyone is so angry, plaintive, disillusioned, etc, is the same reason this is the best fan base in the league: we love our Bills.

We show up at airports, we drive 500 miles to away games, we’re loud, we smash tables, we  cheer big and on days like this, we mourn big. 

I know it’s been an awful two decades, I feel it too. But things are getting better. There was a lot to hate about this game, but also a lot to love about this season. We’ll keep progressing and when the day comes that we’re world champs, it’ll feel all the sweeter. 

Imagine how these players and coaches are feeling too. I hope we still show up at the airport, and if you can’t do that, send a player a tweet saying thank you. 

Doesn’t mean it’s healthy or should continue 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

dude relax. for the first time we werent worried about getting a playoff spot do to math equations. this was basically allens first year and has a high cealing. a rookie rb who looks like a solid pick, not sure why we didnt play him early and at least 1 impressive receiver in brown. O line can use some tooling but our weakness will get addressed.

we focused heavy D in the draft thr last 2 years and saw the results. they got us here now lets fix our shortcomings with a ton of cap.

hopefully josh grows out of this hero ball and bean does as good of a job with O selections that hes done with D

Sorry but the end of this season is not like the past at all to me. instead of us being in turmoil and screaming for a new coach, qb, gm ect. i think what we have is solid. just missing a few ingredients and more experience in key positions. things are promising imo so im excited about the future.

Until McDermott stops being conservative on offense when he has a lead, nothing is going to change. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I could wait a few days and write these, but I honestly don’t want to.  I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.  I’ll be honest, this game broke me so don’t expect many, if any responses to this.  If I stick around, I’ll probably get banned because of the people around here who can’t handle a loss without making ridiculous comments about players/users that are unwarranted and disrespectful. 

A few weeks ago I said that I was going to retire the term Billsy, but then I forgot the true definition of the word.  It’s when the team lulls you into this false sense of security and then rips it out from under you. This year, they made a whole season and half a playoff game. 

I’ve never seen a team be that in control of a game going into half and then completely fall apart in every phase of the game. 

You could pick this game apart 50 different ways, but everyone owns this loss except for maybe Singletary.  

I had all the reasons why they should have won or lost written out but the truth is, it’s everything.  Every single aspect of the game had a severe pro and con that both lost or could’ve won the game.  

It was a Billsy end to an otherwise decent season.  They managed to make every single mistake that they’ve shown glimpses of this season in just one half. 

I’m sick to my stomach about this loss. The fans deserve better.  You deserve better.  

We were honestly the better team out there until the Gods remembered we are the Bills and we will always find a way to lose in the worst possible way.  

In a season where we didn’t beat anyone, the questions will remain of what this team can be. 

Here’s what I do know:

-We didn’t lose this game because we don’t have a true #1

-The offense hasn’t played a complete game this entire season

-whether it’s the Pats or the playoffs, we find a way to not execute (tackling, lead blocks)

-We earned a little bit of respect this season, but on the big stage, we are expected to lose in the moment 

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, Phillips, Shaq)

-Ford had too many growing pains as a rookie and shouldn’t be handed anything

I’m out

Cheers man... rough loss for all of us and I'm feeling just how you are. Until next season brother

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

Until McDermott stops being conservative on offense when he has a lead, nothing is going to change. 

This is the actual truth

It just sucks to see a championship caliber defense being wasted. When you go on the road, in the playoffs, and give up 19 points, that has to be enough. This team, for whatever reasons (and there are several), just can't score enough. I'm not smart enough to know exactly what needs to change, but they've got to be better offensively. They just have to...

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah it sucks. Sucks we had them right were we wanted. Sucks to lose to a Bill O’Brien and Freddie Kitchens team. Those losses eat at me because our culture, team bonding and coaching is supposed to be better than those guys. They were down two key starters Yet we always end up on the losing end.

I will respectively disagree on the millionaire aspect. I think many players do care and will take this hard. This is there livelihood with a goal to win a Super Bowl for Buffalo. And nothing would be greater satisfaction than that. 

Good news is now I can have my Sunday’s back for a number of months to hang with the boys. March 18th isn’t to far off to see how we plan to build on this season.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

5 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

i agree. maybe he puts to much on the D. like i said it is the reason we got here and frankly theres alot of reasons to not trust the O, see allens fumble or sacks to knock us out of fg range. 

i get that fustration im just throwing out why they do that. get a decent lead then count on the strength of the team to keep the doors shut.

Until McDermott gets as competitive as his platitudes, this team will not make it further than one and done in the playoffs...assuming they get back next year.

Good summary, it reflects the disappointment most of us feel.  We should have won.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

They came back and had a chance to kick a field goal to win the game when a ref called a penalty on perfectly legal block.  The game was won.

It wasnt Billsy.  It was a great season, that showed a ton of growth.   The season was incredibly different than almost anyone the Bills have had in 20 years. 

Nice take. All true. Work to do, no doubt. But a great run, and lots of promise.

If you're thinking about bailing on the team after today, you clearly are missing a terrific build.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Nice take. All true. Work to do, no doubt. But a great run, and lots of promise.

If you're thinking about bailing on the team after today, you clearly are missing a terrific build.

I’m not bailing, but I think it’s time to re-evaluate what I put into them. 

I shouldn’t care this much.  It shouldn’t ruin my night. 

42 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Virgil I get you being bummed.  This is a bad loss.  The Bills dominated the first half but only led 13 - 0.  They let the Texans stick around, went conservative in their coaching calls, and then it went to crap.  Honestly though the Bills were short in talent this year.  Yes, they should have won today but their oline is far from dominant, they need a strong inside RB to go with Singletary, and WR1.  They also need a dominant DE.  Bills are tracking in the right direction, they have $90M, and 9 draft picks.  Beane will get it done.  Yeah the loss sucks and it leaves a bad taste.  McD needs to reevaluate his in game decisions and this crap loss will be the impetus for him to do just that.  McD is a detailed guy and he hates this loss just as much as us.  Give your daughter a big hug.  She's far more important than this or any other game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I’m not bailing, but I think it’s time to re-evaluate what I put into them. 

I shouldn’t care this much.  It shouldn’t ruin my night. 

9 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Being down after leading 16-0 is pretty Billsy Especially after suffocating Houston in the 1st half  We llost to Bill O'Brien who has mastered choking to lesser talent