My only thoughts

Virgil

I could wait a few days and write these, but I honestly don’t want to.  I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.  I’ll be honest, this game broke me so don’t expect many, if any responses to this.  If I stick around, I’ll probably get banned because of the people around here who can’t handle a loss without making ridiculous comments about players/users that are unwarranted and disrespectful. 

A few weeks ago I said that I was going to retire the term Billsy, but then I forgot the true definition of the word.  It’s when the team lulls you into this false sense of security and then rips it out from under you. This year, they made a whole season and half a playoff game. 

I’ve never seen a team be that in control of a game going into half and then completely fall apart in every phase of the game. 

You could pick this game apart 50 different ways, but everyone owns this loss except for maybe Singletary.  

I had all the reasons why they should have won or lost written out but the truth is, it’s everything.  Every single aspect of the game had a severe pro and con that both lost or could’ve won the game.  

It was a Billsy end to an otherwise decent season.  They managed to make every single mistake that they’ve shown glimpses of this season in just one half. 

I’m sick to my stomach about this loss. The fans deserve better.  You deserve better.  

We were honestly the better team out there until the Gods remembered we are the Bills and we will always find a way to lose in the worst possible way.  

In a season where we didn’t beat anyone, the questions will remain of what this team can be. 

Here’s what I do know:

-We didn’t lose this game because we don’t have a true #1

-The offense hasn’t played a complete game this entire season

-whether it’s the Pats or the playoffs, we find a way to not execute (tackling, lead blocks)

-We earned a little bit of respect this season, but on the big stage, we are expected to lose in the moment 

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, Phillips, Shaq)

-Ford had too many growing pains as a rookie and shouldn’t be handed anything

I’m out

• Like (+1) 12
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I want to get away from football for a while and just not think about this game or this team.  

Same initial reaction. And yet I won't, not entirely.

Here’s what I do know:

Agree.

-The offense hasn’t played a complete game this entire season

Very true. If Daboll is not hired elsewhere, he should be replaced and we need to look at some position coaches as well.

-whether it’s the Pats or the playoffs, we find a way to not execute (tackling, lead blocks)

The Texans also had some execution problems at times. We were out-coached in my opinion.

-We earned a little bit of respect this season, but on the big stage, we are expected to lose in the moment 

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, Phillips, Shaq)

-Ford had too many growing pains as a rookie and shouldn’t be handed anything

Cannot argue any of the above, except Brown. He was OK. Also, I believe Shaq may have been limited by injury.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m disappointed in our offensive line the most. Qb runs worked ok. But Singletary was getting his on his own over and over against a very bad run defense 

Miscommunication got Allen lit up a few times. 

Need to continue building the line

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

-The names who’ve performed and started to make a push for themselves were non-existent this game (Brown, Beasley, 

These two don’t match up and we definetly need a #1 who won’t leave points on the board like Duke did 

• Like (+1) 8

Hauschka & Singletary are to only 2 that deserve 0 blame. EVERYONE else played a perfect part in this.

@Virgil thanks for all your hardwork this season. On to the offseason.

Lets go Titans!

FYI learn to block the trolls. See/hear you soon.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 2

They came back and had a chance to kick a field goal to win the game when a ref called a penalty on perfectly legal block.  The game was won.

It wasnt Billsy.  It was a great season, that showed a ton of growth.   The season was incredibly different than almost anyone the Bills have had in 20 years. 

• Like (+1) 11

Offensive play calls define the season.  Bills run some reverses, options, and unique plays that work, and then stop calling these plays,  same again today vs Texans.
Throw 3 passes in OT when we  only needed 15 yds and FG  for the win. The  RB getting  was getting it done as he has all season!  But not in OT?  And the designed QB runs at this point in the game make little sense. Start the game like Offensive tigers and end like a ***** cats. Only needed a FG in OT for the win!  Plane ticket to Cleveland.  Too much talent on team to experiment for another season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

They came back and had a chance to kick a field goal to win the game when a ref called a penalty on perfectly legal block.  The game was won.

It wasnt Billsy.  It was a great season, that showed a ton of growth.   The season was incredibly different than almost anyone the Bills have had in 20 years. 

How about the one from 2 years ago?  We lost a wildcard game that year too, mostly for the same reason we lost today: didn't have a quarterback who could generate points/offense.

And by the way, what made this season "great" and what are your expectations for the team in general?

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How about the one from 2 years ago?  We lost a wildcard game that year too, mostly for the same reason we lost today: didn't have a quarterback who could generate points/offense.

And by the way, what made this season "great" and what are your expectations for the team in general?

playoffs aren’t great?  I mean maybe you prefer non playoffs years. You must have been delighted w most of the last 2 decades. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

I’m disappointed in our offensive line the most. Qb runs worked ok. But Singletary was getting his on his own over and over against a very bad run defense 

Miscommunication got Allen lit up a few times. 

Need to continue building the line

^^^   THIS TIMES 1000!!!!!!!!!!!     ^^^

• Like (+1) 2

We won 10 games this year thanks to our defense. The offense was a joke all year. The play calling by Dumboll was consistently bad. Not even the lowly Browns want this clown. McDermott might be the Tony Robbins of motivation, culture & process.  But his sideline time management and decisions are way too conservative to ever take this team to the next level. I really thought we might win a playoff game or 2 this season. Now I find myself praying this team doesn't become the early Andy Dalton Bengals. 

GO CONSERVATIVE 

GO HOME

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We didn’t lose this game because we don’t have a true #1

Hmm I don't think I agree. I think a true #1 WR catches one of those passes to Brown at the 5 yard line or to Duke in the endzone. And in general our receivers would get open faster which would negate some of the poor pass blocking. Having a #1 WR on the field also means that Brown is covered by the #2 CB and we're not stuck arguing over Foster or Duke Williams. Not that this was the only reason we lost, but since this was a very close game, that difference alone likely would have been enough to get us the win even with all the other mistakes.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Lame, Virg.

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

• Thank you (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

And that’s fine.  But I’m tired of what this game does to me. I’m tired of trying to put a positive spin on it when I know those players are completely fine on that flight home.  They are millionaires and we are inconsequential fans in their lives. 

I’m sitting there with my daughter and, no matter how much I try to hide it, I’m pissed.  I don’t want her seeing that.  I don’t want her being a fan of that.  

There’s absolutely no excuse to blow that lead, to not focus on your key players, to give up that 3rd and 18.  All of it.  For all the good they’ve done this year, they are still the stubborn coaching staff who doesn’t play fearlessly or go for the kill.  We are the same offense that scores below 20 points regardless of who they play.  

I have zero reason to believe that they won’t bring gore back or a Tolbert who is useless and keep putting these players out there.  I don’t believe Julio Jones would have made a difference in this game because Daboll is as much a roadblock to our momentum as he is a help.  

We got just good enough to beat .500 teams this year on a soft schedule.  We are the kings of moral victories against good teams. We have people going to the airport again to welcome them home after a first round playoff loss.  

It’s my fault for believing we were more ahead than we were.  For believing this is the right staff before they’ve actually won. 

The only thing we’ve accomplished is not to be a bottom feeder.  And yes, that’s a step.  But I was ready for a win today.  We should have won today.  

But they did the same thing they’ve done for the past 25 years, let everyone down 

100% my feelings as well.  Thank you.  Just sick of it.  Fans will always hurt worse than the player.