Who cost us the game today?

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

There were penalties on the play that would have rendered it moot if I recall correctly

That happened on the scrum out of bounds, which occurred because Edmunds waited so long to get up. Had he got up quickly and ran, there was a lot of daylight. 

Not a criticism, more a what if...

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

That happened on the scrum out of bounds, which occurred because Edmunds waited so long to get up. Had he got up quickly and ran, there was a lot of daylight. 

I was at the game and had a perfect view.  Was really, really annoyed that he didn't get up.  Would have and should have scored on that.  We had multiple guys there and they had no one to stop it.  One of many plays we left on the field during the first 2.5 quarters when we were dominating in a game we should have put out of reach, but didn't. 

1 minute ago, jhh9327 said:

I was at the game and had a perfect view.  Was really, really annoyed that he didn't get up.  Would have and should have scored on that.  We had multiple guys there and they had no one to stop it.  One of many plays we left on the field during the first 2.5 quarters when we were dominating in a game we should have put out of reach, but didn't. 

Thanks. It took Oliver 4-5 seconds to get him up, too! I don’t believe they scored on that TO too. 

8 minutes ago, TPS said:

Thanks. It took Oliver 4-5 seconds to get him up, too! I don’t believe they scored on that TO too. 

That was the drive where we got a FG, but Watt got the sack on a 3rd down that really energized the crowd and Texans.  I thought at the time the crowd and Texans where grasping at straws to find something to be happy about, but it really did end up being the turning point. 

Edited by jhh9327

21 minutes ago, TPS said:

I do see your point on this play. The other Bill pulling on his jersey trying to get him up will be forever etched in our minds.

I just think the moment got too big for Coach Mc and Josh.  McD had some really questionable management at key moments.  I didn't like the 4th and 20 + going for it.  What in the world?  Luckily Bill O'Brien was just as bad.  Josh I think for as great of a 1st half he played, he tried to do too much in those critical moments that cost us a lot of yardage and moved us out of what could have potentially been a game winning FG prior to the overtime period.  It's just one of those things where we didn't do well in specific situations.  That's what's sticking out like a sore thumb for people right now, but let's not forget all of the great stuff that the team did leading up to those moments.  I also did not like some of Daboll's calls in these same moments but I understand from a formation standpoint what they were trying to do.  For instance, the play with Dimarco out wide.  I'm sure we were trying to get a tell on the coverage.  I just didn't like the personnel for that formation/look.  And I didn't like it all the WRs on verts there, but i get what he was trying to do.  In any case, it was a good ride.  Lots to learn from and get better at, but this was a quick turnaround for us.  3 years of McD and 2 playoff births.  FO just needs to see what is needed for that extra push.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

I was angry Saturday, that has cooled down to curiou today, at why the hell Tre was playing so far off Hopkins in the 2nd half. Was that the play call from Frazier/McD or was that Tre being overly cautious. 

I just rewatched the highlights of the game.

We were in total control of course, the Allen fumble was a big moment in retrospect. They only got 3 off that but we were driving at the time. 

Allen played really well first half I thought but also well after that. Lots of 3rd downs were converted which is a big thing when looking at a QBs presence. 

To me Allen played REALLY WELL GENERALLY with certain BAD mistakes in there that can make it seem like it's all bad. The mistakes tended to prove quite critical. 

The issues with Allen from the game:

The fumble. Helped the texans out bigtime. 

Stepping UP in the pocket at times. 

The sack on 3rd down at 13-0. Ideally he steps up here and can make a throw to Beasley. Might tempt mcd to go for it on 4th down. He's made these plays before so I know he's capable but it's the consistency. Stepping up is a weakness. 

Spin move/sacks

Spin move he tried twice when he was sacked. I think if he gets rid of that spin move it could serve him well. I don't think the line breaking down is an excuse for him to not get rid of the ball. 

Lack of decisiveness. 

He was mostly very decisive, when he wasnt he nearly got picked and he got sacked.

We were driving the ball and converting 3rd downs so not getting touchdowns was and is frustrating. 

Edited by london_bills

The Bills were up 13-0 at halftime... so why in the world would you ask Allen to throw 48 times in that game?

This with giving Devin Singletary only 13 carries all game with a 4.8 YPC avg.

The smart move on offense would have been to start running the ball the entire second half, run the clock and play keep away.

What the Bills did on offense in the second half was about as brainy as having Brian Daboll get some carries and asking Frank Gore to run the ball with 7 runs for 1 yard.

There is only one guy I pin this loss on! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

All players and coaches make mistakes.  The difference between winning and losing is which players or coaches make those mistakes, how many mistakes they make compared to their counterpart, and when do they make them.  The most important and untimely mistakes made by the Bills were:  1) Frazier's soft defence call on 3rd and 18, and his failure to take a time out to get his defence properly lined up (time outs in overtime aren't useful for anything else), and 2) Allen losing his composure in the second half, leading to a fumble, numerous poor throws, an insane lateral decision, and a host of other poor decisions.  If Frazier hadn't made his mistake, we might have overcome Allen's jitters, but on the whole, Allen was grossly outplayed by his counterpart, and that's the main reason we lost.

I'm not sure you can coach composure and good judgement into a player.  Those are qualities you build up over a lifetime.

As disappointed as I was, in my opinion we were only going to last until the next round in any event - because of Allen.

Edited by Thurman Kelly