Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?

Bakin

Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Is Josh our Man?

The jury's still out, but he's further along than I thought he'd be.  Coming into the season, I didn't think he had games like the Dallas game or the first half of the Texans game in him.  His profile had always been that he could flash with the right coaching and enough development, but that it might take more time than most.  His play this year showed that he has the stuff right now, he just needs to learn to get out of his own way.  I'll take that.

10 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

With that second half defensive performance?  there is no super bowl contention happening 

Deshaun Watson is one of the top 4 QBs in football.

At some point they were going to score.

When they did, our QB responded by fumbling the ball away in our own territory, and at that point the Texans and their home field advantage smelled blood in the water. 

Our offense is terrible. We can't consistently score 19 points a game, including yesterday when we faced one of the worst defenses in football. 

15 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Any team with a tough schedule and a mediocre defense isn’t sniffing the playoffs either, friend. 

No? What about NO, GB, Tennessee, Houston, Seattle? They range from 11 to 26 in overall defense. I couldn’t get the link to paste but you can check it out in nfl.com. 

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

He will only be in the 3rd year of his contract, so the Bills still have his 4th year + a 5th year option. I don’t think I’d say that the Bills have to decide whether to give him a long term deal by the end of next season. All they’ll really have to decide on for sure is if he’s worth the 5th year option. 

Those, really, are one & the same.

Do you want them to use a high pick on a QB in the 2021 draft? Go out and get someone via FA?  Or, are you willing to relive the purgatory that is not having “that” QB on the roster for multiple years?

Don’t extend & feelings are hurt, psyches damaged. They need to make up their minds next year and then move decisively based on the choice they make.

This Josh hate mystifies me.  It is so irrational.  He put us in a position to get to OT AND to win.  He made some crazy decisions, sure, but he was both running for his life and hamstrung by conservative play calling down the stretch.  This loss was a team effort on offense mostly and I point the finger at DAboll and the OLine more than Josh alone.  Ridiculous.

This loss was not all on him no matter what these fair weather haters that are suddenly coming out of the woodwork may be saying.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I find it hilarious that no one has created a thread about that single play.

Or perhaps his "Hail Mary" pass he threw up for grabs while in OT in a playoff game.

That is "can't happen" stuff and it's still happening from him.

And then the late throws, the fumble problems, the blitz problem, the reading defenses problem, the accuracy problem, the long ball problem....

How long does he get?!  

Both of those plays were horrific; it was as if someone pressed the self destruct button on Josh Allen.  He improved quite a bit in year 2, but he looked like a rookie in the 2nd half last night, complete with a look of panic on his face at all times.  Here's hoping we don't see THAT Josh again.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Both of those plays were horrific; it was as if someone pressed the self destruct button on Josh Allen.  He improved quite a bit in year 2, but he looked like a rookie in the 2nd half last night, complete with a look of panic on his face at all times.  Here's hoping we don't see THAT Josh again.

That look of panic you mention, lack of composure. That josh - it's the same 'rattled' thing we talk about every game. 

After a good first half aswell. 

'4th quarter josh' wasn't there yesterday and the narrative that he is winning games there has started to grind to a halt. 

We did stop running the football that is true. 

14 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Josh Allen is not a franchise QB, at least not now anyway. He may be a nice kid, but come on!

16 points were left on the board yesterday.

Brown (6), Duke (6) & Hauschka (4)!

Heck - If Hauschka does not miss that extra point  - we are all celebrating a WIN right now.

Lighten up, Francis!

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, he has earned a third year as our starter. But we have seen these 3rd seasons either make or break QBs. He is year to year at this point, not franchise yet.

4 minutes ago, cd1 said:

16 points were left on the board yesterday.

Brown (6), Duke (6) & Hauschka (4)!

Heck - If Hauschka does not miss that extra point  - we are all celebrating a WIN right now.

Lighten up, Francis!

Hauschka didnt miss a field goal, or an extra point yesterday. What are you talking about?

True "Franchise QBs" that have emerged in the last 3 seasons -- guys that, if this were baseball, would be getting 8 year/$300 million extensions right now:

- Deshaun Watson

- Patrick Mahomes

- Lamar Jackson

That's it.

Early last season it looked like Jared Goff had entered that category (and he did get the money to prove it). Late last season it looked like Baker Mayfield might be moving into that category. Early this season it was Dak Prescott. None of those guys would get that kind of deal right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen now has 28 starts. He was below-average in every passing metric other than sack avoidance this year. If he's going to be something special, wouldn't we know by now? Is there any quarterback who made a major leap after two below-average seasons? Maybe it's possible.