Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?

Bakin

Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Is Josh our Man?

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Allen needed to pull off 4th quarter drives because he put us in that position to begin with. Those drives also came against the bottom feeders of the league that we should have never been behind at any point.

I wouldn't be so quick to laude him with accolades

Place all the conditions on it you want.  It takes a certain quality to lead comebacks and not all guys have it.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

What a fun sports world that would be. We could all just go on these boards and try to one-up each other with Praise for Josh.

You don't value making the playoffs after decades in purgatory. The guy has improved markedly from his rookie year. I forgot, some people just want keep changing QBs,coaches and GMs every few years. Sorry  for the insensitive comment. 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Place all the conditions on it you want.  It takes a certain quality to lead comebacks and not all guys have it.

I don't think Allen does, not in any game of significance anyway. We've watched him choke countless times on the big stage already in his young career.

1 minute ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

You don't value making the playoffs after decades in purgatory. The guy has improved markedly from his rookie year. I forgot, some people just want keep changing QBs,coaches and GMs every few years. Sorry  for the insensitive comment. 

No, it was a fine season. I watched every game. (Well, half of the meaningless second Jets game.) The fun continues with all the discussion about what could have been or what might be. And that requires differences of opinion.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

I don't think Allen does, not in any game of significance anyway. We've watched him choke countless times on the big stage already in his young career.

Sure he does.  Like when he led them down the field with just over a minute left to tie in today.  Major choke there.

What I say is he is a second year guy that still needs to improve in areas.  Guys like you never wanted him and twist yourself in knots to try and justify your preconceived opinion.

24 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Don’t know, but Beane and McDermott need to make up theirs minds by the end of next season.  

We’ve seen some really good things, but, not consistently enough to invest $35-40M/year.

2020/1 is make or break for him.

He will only be in the 3rd year of his contract, so the Bills still have his 4th year + a 5th year option. I don’t think I’d say that the Bills have to decide whether to give him a long term deal by the end of next season. All they’ll really have to decide on for sure is if he’s worth the 5th year option. 

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

I am a homer. 
And I really love the kid. 
So I’m an emphatic YES. 

I have no doubt that he is crushed right now - and he believes the loss is on him. 

Sure, he makes boneheaded plays now and again...

BUT 

He has the arm, the legs, the heart...between the ears remains a work in progress and I’m confident he will only get better. 

Thoughts?

Why this stupid poll again? Josh is going to be here for the next 15 years. 

Yes. For Allen, I would like to see him with more dependable WRs/TEs next year. Imagine the difference for the offense this year alone, all else being the same, if the receivers caught even half of the drops that hit them in the hands or the chest.

I feel the same about a less-frequently-asked (but just as important imo) question —— is Tremaine Edmunds the Bills "franchise MLB"?  I think both are poised for a breakout and become Elite third season. Both improved this year. Both have tremendous physical potential. Both have had some bad misses.

• Like (+1) 1

Emotions on today's result aside, the key thing with Josh for me is the upward trajectory. If he improves in year 3 as much as in year 2 then I think he will be fine.

First thing on the menu - I think he needs to spend a good chunk of time in the off season with Jordan Palmer. I strongly believe that a lot more hard work is required for him to succeed. And with his work ethic being what it is, that gives me confidence.

Then add a few more weapons (WR1, RB2 and RT) and its a completely different story.

He's our guy.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

What's wrong with Singletary?   Thought he had a strong game today.

WR corps could be improved, for sure, but have you had a look at the quarterback position?

Until Allen is either replaced or he massively improves, our offense will continue to sputter as it did this season.

Singletary is awesome but the bills need a complimentary B back Gore gave his all but they need a (god forbid) modern day Ronnie Harmon. 

Edited by Lenigmusx

This game encapsulated Josh Allen as the polarizing player that he is perfectly. Made some beautiful throws, some amazing plays that not many other men are capable of making. Then he does stuff like that lateral and goes into hero mode. Also he needs to learn how to not take sacks at times when you simply cannot take one.  He took a big step in year 2. I think he'll learn to play smarter and continue to make strides in year 3. Another weapon or 2 and another year under his belt.

59 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, then let's make it about Josh as a franchise QB. I am only slightly more confident in him now than I was in Tyrod c. 2017. 

Can anyone disagree with this proposition: if Tyrod Taylor had been our starting QB this year, the likely result would have been exactly the same as with Josh Allen as our starting QB.

Again, the binary question posed in the OP is not the right way to approach it.  Allen has given enough fodder this year for both sides to argue the point, but not enough evidence to settle the point. 

But to answer your tangent, Tyrod only delivered 3 points in his playoff outing. I doubt he puts up more points, let alone thinking he could drive down for the tying FG. 

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Yeah I said that...reading comprehension can be hard but hang in there!

Good for you then.  Why are you arguing the point that the "Maybe" option is missing in the poll?

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Again, the binary question posed in the OP is not the right way to approach it.  Allen has given enough fodder this year for both sides to argue the point, but not enough evidence to settle the point. 

But to answer your tangent, Tyrod only delivered 3 points in his playoff outing. I doubt he puts up more points, let alone thinking he could drive down for the tying FG. 

Good for you then.  Why are you arguing the point that the "Maybe" option is missing in the poll?

I am not.  I am arguing that you seem to have an agenda and have a problem discerning what people are intending by their posts.

1 hour ago, NOVA fan said:

Both the bad sack and the lateral are directly due to inexperience.  Hopefully they'll go away in time. 

And perhaps desire to will the team to victory. The desire to be super human because frankly at times he can be. Can you imagine how hard it is to harness his athletic ability. Especially when you believe ( as he needs to) that you can make absolutely any play at any given time. 

IMO Josh Allen is not a "franchise" QB.  Great kid with a personality you can't help but love.  But his weaknesses in high school, junior college, college, and now in the NFL have not changed much.  He is the Bills QB and a good one.  But I feel he is unlikely going to be what most here hoped, and still hope, for.

He made some plays today that made him look elite.  Then the next play he is fumbling, putting up a jump ball, or throwing the perfect pick 6 that was dropped.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I am not.  I am arguing that you seem to have an agenda and have a problem discerning what people are intending by their posts.

Let me slow it down for you Johnny.

Josh Allen is the most athletic raw QB prospect the Bills had in a long time, and everyone should have been prepared for a long learning curve.  He was bad last year, and took pretty big strides this year, but not enough to establish himself as a true NFL QB.  But that doesn't mean that at this point in time, he's a bust, and that's why NEXT YEAR IS CRITICAL to see if he can clear the hurdle.

Did you understand the words that were capitalized?   If you are tired of the cliche of waiting until the next season, then what is your solution to the apparent Josh Allen problem? 

Edited by GG

2 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Why is this even a question?  If you can't see his ability, and the fire he plays with then you are blind.

He's made progress but still has never been accurate in college or the NFL. We don't have film of him ever playing really well. Lamar looked bad last year, but looked great at Louisville for a few years.

8 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

IMO Josh Allen is not a "franchise" QB.  Great kid with a personality you can't help but love.  But his weaknesses in high school, junior college, college, and now in the NFL have not changed much.  He is the Bills QB and a good one.  But I feel he is unlikely going to be what most here hoped, and still hope, for.

He made some plays today that made him look elite.  Then the next play he is fumbling, putting up a jump ball, or throwing the perfect pick 6 that was dropped.

My concerns exactly. He's been athletic and raw arm talent at all levels. He holds onto the ball way too long has too much doesn't have consistent pocket awareness. The intentional grounding play after running backwards 5 yards was awful.

37 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Sure he does.  Like when he led them down the field with just over a minute left to tie in today.  Major choke there.

What I say is he is a second year guy that still needs to improve in areas.  Guys like you never wanted him and twist yourself in knots to try and justify your preconceived opinion.

It's absolutely true that I never wanted him, and I've been forced to  justify that against folks that fall all over themselves to put him on the wall of fame because he ate a chicken wing that one time. He seems  like a good kid, but if you think he has what it takes to start in this league you haven't been paying attention. All of the QBs playing football this weekend and next were immediately elite (Besides Tannehill and Cousins was up and down), beating up on the elite QB's of past generations the second they stepped on the field.

Allen in 2 seasons has yet to destroy anyone. The closest is probably the Minnesota game. Are we just going to walk into next year and he's throwing for 5k yards or winning a league MVP? I don't think so, and if he's not doing that then he's not good enough in today's NFL. He's a nice story, but I want a freak of nature that destroys everything in their path.

• Eyeroll 1