Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?

Bakin

Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Is Josh our Man?

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

After literally a half century of Bills fandom (I went to my first game in 1970!), I'm at a point where I appreciate the entertainment value of a season more than the end result. 2017 gave us unforgettable moments: Nathan Peterman and the blowout losses. The snow game win. The Andy Dalton miracle that got us in the playoffs. All kinds of weird stuff, and a playoff game much like today's (but even more painful because we got beat by Blake Bortles, not Deshaun Watson). This season was entertaining in a more formulaic, grind it out way.

I think you summed it up...2017 was really magical if you break down the different points of the season.  This year seemed almost inevitable that we would be at the very least a wild card based on the early start, schedule, etc.  Maybe it made the playoffs seem less special this time.  Almost a formality.

17 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I am wearing thin on the "next years".  I didnt think this was a SB team but this loss was very disappointing.  Feels similar to 2017.  Not super promising.  Outcoached, outplayed, outeverythinged.  This is going to be a long 9 months.

That's a different discussion in other threads. We're discussing whether Josh is a franchise QB in this one. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know. I am still optimistic but I am not ready to say "Yes" yet. 

So am I Gunner. He makes a few mistakes that make you wince in a lot of games, but has made great strides not only since last offseason, but maybe more importantly since the first Pats**** game. He was directly responsible for 372 yards today out of our 425 total. Our leading passer, runner and caught our only TD in his first playoff game on the road no less. As bad as a few plays were there were a couple of plays where he threw perfect passes into extremely tight windows while scrambling. If he continues to improve this offseason we'll have a pretty darn good QB next year and beyond.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GG said:

That's a different discussion in other threads. We're discussing whether Josh is a franchise QB in this one. 

OK, then let's make it about Josh as a franchise QB. I am only slightly more confident in him now than I was in Tyrod c. 2017. 

Can anyone disagree with this proposition: if Tyrod Taylor had been our starting QB this year, the likely result would have been exactly the same as with Josh Allen as our starting QB.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

A franchis QB wins that easy game where we were up 16-0 in the third. What we saw today was a Derrick Carr/Andy Dalton/Ryan Tannehill cailber QB choke when it got too hot. 

The defense was just as much a part of that choke as anyone else. Through the midway point in the 3rd they were extremely rested from all the long drives the offense had put together. From that point on they were gashed up and down the field, giving up 19 points in the last 16:33. The o-line did no one any favors also with some shoddy blocking and untimely, dumb penalties.

Yes, but only if he continues to improve.

Today is one of the most frustrating losses in team history because it was right there on a platter but they couldn’t close the deal.  But at the core, they weren’t ready for prime time today, and that starts with Allen.

If you are the QB, the buck stops with you.  Six points in the last 3 quarters will never get it done.

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

A franchis QB wins that easy game where we were up 16-0 in the third. What we saw today was a Derrick Carr/Andy Dalton/Ryan Tannehill cailber QB choke when it got too hot. 

That lets the defense and coaching  off the hook completely. Alllen had his ups and downs in his first playoff game, but it seems that it got too hot for McD, Daboll and Co more than Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, then let's make it about Josh as a franchise QB. I am only slightly more confident in him now than I was in Tyrod c. 2017. 

Can anyone disagree with this proposition: if Tyrod Taylor had been our starting QB this year, the likely result would have been exactly the same as with Josh Allen as our starting QB.

Yes, I can.

Tyrod Taylor was TRASH.

I think Josh will be a franchise QB, and a good one.  He needs to be smarter with the ball.  He also needs better play calling and coaching that will let Josh be more natural rather than a pure pocket passer and game manager (Josh is neither at this point in his career) when they have a lead.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Yes, I can.

Tyrod Taylor was TRASH.

Dude, we played the Jets twice, the Dolphins twice, the Redskins, the Bengals, the Duck Hodges Steelers, the Giants ... it was, objectively, the easiest schedule in the NFL. And we went 10-6. May I remind you that Tyrod's Bills went 9-7, and one of those games was the Nathan Peterman debacle?

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Dude, we played the Jets twice, the Dolphins twice, the Redskins, the Bengals, the Duck Hodges Steelers, the Giants ... it was, objectively, the easiest schedule in the NFL. And we went 10-6. May I remind you that Tyrod's Bills went 9-7, and one of those games was the Nathan Peterman debacle?

And may I remind YOU that Tyrod was an 8 year vet that season, and Josh JUST completed his first full season as a starter?

You'd have to be willfully ignorant to ignore that little bit of information.

• Like (+1) 1

He's the entire offense at this point.  Bills need more play makers around him  We dont involve Singeltary enough.  Gore is too old.  Our wr core is weak sauce.  I trust he will improve.  The talent is there and the intangibles.  Much as he needs to improve the coaches need to change their approach to the game.  What was ok to do  in 2017 with a terrible roster is not going to fly in 2020 .  Up to Beane to improve the roster construction.  Cant have all these special teams guys expected to be main contributors on offense.  Daboll expects him to play sandlot football and win with lesser talent around him.  Going to be a long off season.  Hopefully Josh does some more maturing and the coaching staff shows some growth

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

15 years.  Recommend you find another team before you have yourself committed.  In the end, while a bad decision to lateral, had he connected to Knox, he might have had some daylight to run.

It also stopped the clock and saved 15-20 seconds from running down. 

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

And may I remind YOU that Tyrod was an 8 year vet that season, and Josh JUST completed his first full season as a starter?

You'd have to be willfully ignorant to ignore that little bit of information.

Tyrod never had me saying "franchise QB." And I am more optimistic about Josh than I ever was about Tyrod as the long-term solution at QB. I'm just saying that Josh's results were fine this year, but really weren't anything more than you might have expected with a Tyrod Taylor or a Ryan Tannehill at QB. So the jury's still out on him.

33 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What do you offer?  Nothing huh?  That's what I thought.

I pound the message b/c this fanbase is in denial and someone needs to tell them what the hell is going on.

Actually, we don’t need you to enlighten us. Most of us are pretty knowledgeable fans.