Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?

Bakin

Post Playoff Game - Is Josh Allen the Bills Franchise QB?  

296 members have voted

1. 1. Is Josh our Man?

I’m trying to think about “what more did I really need to see out of him” tonight?

He made some really poor decisions:

-Brutal sack that luckily didn’t cost us. 
-Bizarro world lateral

-Ball Security on the fumble

However:

-He made some incredible plays & unreal throws. 
-He was our best weapon. 
-What throws did he really miss?  There were more than a handful of throwaways, but even the Duke crosser was due to Watt hitting him as he threw. 

I just feel like our coaching staff didn’t let him win us the the game.  We went very conservative, thinking going up 10,13,16 would win us the game.  That’s not on Allen.  

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, Lenigmusx said:

You bench him and you go 4-12. He still on his rookie deal. 

The top 5 defense won the majority of the games on a cheesecake schedule. The Bills had one of the worst passing games in the NFL. I'm sure their record wouldn't have been that bad had Matt Barkley started all season.

I know he is on his rookie deal. I was speaking hypothetically. His play is mediocre at best, and he isn't going to get a big contract unless he makes some major strides next year. My point was if he isn't worth using the franchise tag on, he isn't a franchise QB.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Maybe. Jury is still out. His inexperience showed through in this game in a BIG way. However, he probably did enough to achieve victory if a few key plays are executed properly by others. Duke HAS to make that catch for the TD. That’s why he was active today, and the pass could not have been better. McD and Frazier waited too long to bring pressure on Watson, who wasn’t reading the coverage well all game. Milano and whoever whiffed, and that was your ballgame. When you wait until the margin of error is zero....As good as Josh handled the first half, the second half was poor. Coaches did not do him any favors leaving Watt 1 on 1 far too often. A win and another game would have been huge for Allen’s development. It was achievable, but we can’t yet say for certain if Allen can lead the Bills to the promised land. This game was essentially a tease, and will take its place in a long list of Bills debacles that I really thought were behind the franchise now. 

Amen to this.  Allen was rattled in the second half but he still got the team to OT  then  reverted back to his bad habits at the worst possible time.  The Ford penalty was a killer. 

My real is issue the D. Wtf? When it matters most nobody could tackle properly.  Not just Milano.  Simple fundamentals lost this game. 

8 minutes ago, Lenigmusx said:

The team is A premier WR, a good 3 down back, and an offensive tackle away from being the best offense in the NFL.

What's wrong with Singletary?   Thought he had a strong game today.

WR corps could be improved, for sure, but have you had a look at the quarterback position?

Until Allen is either replaced or he massively improves, our offense will continue to sputter as it did this season.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm a fan who sees our QB consistently let us down against good opposition. 

The game probably plays out entirely different if smoke gets his feet in or Duke brings down the ball in the endzone, you realize that right?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

What would the cost be to bring Allen back next year if he was franchised? I'm guessing its around 30 million. Would you take a 30 mil hit on the salary cap for next year? If the answer is no, he ain't your franchise QB.

I think its important the Bills pick up a much better #2 QB, and/or draft a mid-rounder. Like the Titans and Mariota, Allen may need to be benched next year in order to save their season.

I’d make a play for Mariota this offseason.  We need a quality backup because Allen’s style makes him injury prone or if he doesn’t progress (or regresses).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm a fan who sees our QB consistently let us down against good opposition. 

Then why did you say he get's one more year?  Or does that mean he gets one more year of you as a fan (one can hope)?  I see you are on your typical crusade.  How about Duke catch the ball in the endzone, Brown drag his feet at the nine, not have killer penalties like when you are about to score, or the Oline not give JJ Watt free reign at the QB?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jerboski said:

20 in the first half, they didnt go back to the pass until the lead had vanished, they then had to pass basically every down given they were getting stuffed and were going against the clock 

There was a time span during the beginning of the third until midway through the 4th that we were totally content to burn clock and run the ball

Not sure what game you watched but play calling was anything but conservative.  I was begging for conservative play calling at the start of OT, instead they went to shot gun and have Allen throw, when all you needed was a balance attack and a field goal.  They put it in his hands and he failed. 

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

WR corps could be improved, for sure, but have you had a look at the quarterback position?

Until Allen is either replaced or he massively improves, our offense will continue to sputter as it did this season.

I think a very formidable challenge to your view of Allen, is the current philosophy.   It needs to change. 

I honestly don’t know how anyone could watch the game today, and not think we win, it our coaching staff didn’t believe the defense could hold, up 2 scores. 

I believe Josh is our man. Did he have a stellar game? No. But were coaches and game planning stellar? No. I feel like when the winds of change shifted from interesting to conservative that’s when Josh reverted to “bad Josh”. Does Josh need to improve? Hell yes.  But he has the tools.

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I’d make a play for Mariota this offseason.  We need a quality backup because Allen’s style makes him injury prone or if he doesn’t progress (or regresses).

I'd really love Bridgewater. Instant Super Bowl contender with him at QB with this defense.

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

Not sure what game you watched but play calling was anything but conservative.  I was begging for conservative play calling at the start of OT, instead they went to shot gun and have Allen throw, when all you needed was a balance attack and a field goal.  They put it in his hands and he failed. 

You sound like someone who believes pass attempts = aggressive, and then discounts actual in-game decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I bet you lead the forum in negative reputation emoji's!  Because you are a one agenda poster and offer literally nothing of value.

3 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

So your saying in the third that was aggressive and the top portion of the 4th quarter? 

Gore (twice) got the ball on 2nd and ten in scoring position, that's aggressive?

Your definitions of aggressive are completley different 

Edited by Jerboski