Josh Allen - PLAYOFF GAME report card

rayray808

Seems like a lot of personal vendettas coming out in this thread. JA inexperience showed and a he made a few very poor decisions , but the game was available to be won. His mistakes weren’t killers. He did cost them 3 points, but other aspects cost them far more. At times JA made the play, but the WR didn’t. At times the OC was astonishingly bad. At times the HC and DC were too conservative to win. All these things conspired, but Allen was about a C overall in this game. A in the first half and D in the second. Still should be reveling in a ( somewhat closer than necessary ) Bills playoff victory. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

C

Played great in the first half. 

Lots of “wow” moments and “wtf” moments in the second half.  

I tend to believe the coaches thinking “get up 2 scores = win the game” put us in situations that hurt everyone, including Allen, leading to the erratic play we saw once Houston came back. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

id still give him a B-   he did some really great things and some really stupid things but over all he still made a lot of plays.  Also he wasnt always put in the best situations.

over all when i think of this team i think its like, when your playing a super intense game when everything seems like its going a million miles an hr and your doing so well but then your brain like becomes overwhelmed thinking how your going to keep it up with out screwing up...that to me is the Bills anytime they get the lead..its like that success scares them and they dont know what to do and then they start overthinking things and then they start to fall apart and so they panic.   This is Dbolls play calling especially but the entire team shows this as a whole a lot of times.  

the biggest reason for the loss is the same as all year really.   we cant play efficient smart football for 4 qtrs.  Thats offense, defense and coaching that are all responsible 

• Like (+1) 1

I purposely waited over night for this. I watched the other games and came to the conclusion that Josh is a B and Watson is an A-. The bad plays were overstated and he got a 16-0 lead and put up 356 yards without an interception. He did fumble and wasn't perfect, but after watching how other playoff teams support their QBs (let alone a young, inexperienced one) I raised my grade from the C+ I was thinking last night.

Don't get me going on the play to win with 16 pts. coaching and lack of playmakers they've given us. Watch Hopkins, Theilen, Thomas etc. and it is hard not feel jealous. There are others.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes he isn't very good. He should have caught that ball. He didn't because he isn't very good. 

Offense needs to move Ford to guard and sign a truly capable RT (Conklin or Beluga), they need to replace Gore with a young hammer, and they absolutely need a big, fast, true #1WR. Those upgrades and Josh Allen making a leap next year comparable to what he accomplished this year would equal an offense capable of matching the D in level of consistent play. Wanted Metcalf in the second and in retrospect, hard to argue he wouldn't have been a better choice than Ford.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Offense needs to move Ford to guard and sign a truly capable RT (Conklin or Beluga), they need to replace Gore with a young hammer, and they absolutely need a big, fast, true #1WR. Those upgrades and Josh Allen making a leap next year comparable to what he accomplished this year would equal an offense capable of matching the D in level of consistent play. Wanted Metcalf in the second and in retrospect, hard to argue he wouldn't have been a better choice than Ford.

All of this is right. AJ Brown would have been an even better pick. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

They put too much on Josh. Should have kept running Motor.

They definitely should. I thought they had a really good balance first half. It was that pass and gimmicks to set up the traditional running game. I liked that there were at least three maybe four pass on first down and run on second down combos. I have been calling for more of that all year. 

2nd half I am not sure what happened. Did the game scenario get to them? I don't know but they lost their balance. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The db got his hand in there before it hit his hands. It wasn’t PI, however.

look — at the end of the day, williams is a undrafted street free agent/practice squad guy who was playing in canada. He’s not great and performed about as well as could be hoped for.

image.png.b049a1acd71f8db0b9073cb150b083a4.png

I call this a drop.

• Thank you (+1) 1