Josh Allen - PLAYOFF GAME report card

rayray808

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

The whole system needs a makeover. 

Fire Daboll tmrw. It's square peg , round hole with him imo.

Get some innovation in here , tailor a scheme around Allens very unique skillset

Honestly, what else could Daboll do?

They designed runs, had play action passes, actually ran a screen pass......

Enough with Daboll being a problem. He isn’t a problem.

On to next year. Keep the pieces in place.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

I don't have a problem with the scheme or even the play calling.  The execution is horrid.  If you want to blame Daboll for that I can see that a little but there are plays where you just know either Allen or the OL were beat before they even snapped the ball.  If it's true that Daboll isn't coaching that then OK but for me it's not the play calling.

I can't disagree with you there.

Great point. 

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Some are blaming Daboll (and it might be him), some are blaming the OL ( and certainly at times it looks like them), and some are blaming Allen but one thing is for certain people are shooting into the backfield completely unblocked altogether too aften.  When he sees a rush coming on a drop back he's ok.  He has a bit of a fumble problem with guys washing around from behind him but when people come in unblocked he just loses his mind.

In 2 of the biggest drives of hte season with 2 minutes left today and the last drive agaisnt NE, no one was blocked.  Blaming a 2nd year QB to panic in that situation is alot to ask. 

Personally I'd blame the #2 ranked defense for allowing the Texans to cross the goal line 4 times in around the last 20 minutes.

The lateral certainly was a completely idiotic play, but other than that, really not sure about the hero ball.  You want to blame the long pass to DeMarco, what were his other options?

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

I don't have a problem with the scheme or even the play calling.  The execution is horrid.  If you want to blame Daboll for that I can see that a little but there are plays where you just know either Allen or the OL were beat before they even snapped the ball.  If it's true that Daboll isn't coaching that then OK but for me it's not the play calling.

This is 100% how I see it. I don't love Daboll but what I see is not mainly on play calling 

Second half was not great but he put us in position to tie with no timeouts on the clock. We were in position to try a FG in overtime if it wasn’t for the ***** penalty. Despite some bone head plays by Allen,  his WRs left some bone head plays on the field by not being aware of the sideline that could of helped us in this game.... He gets a B from me. On the road in playoff atmosphere he had about 375 yards passing, running and receiving. Like I said he wasn’t pretty but he played his ass off. 

There are certain minor things often overlooked that bother me about Allen's game. On the first down throw to Knox in OT, he should have gotten that ball out a second or two earlier. He was wide open with room to run. Knox actually converted the first down with an athletic move, but he's got to get better at reading/recognizing/releasing.

There were some real WTF moments and some real "only Josh Allen can do that" moments.

But at the end of the day, his career will be defined by his ability or lack there of to progress in the cerebral aspects of playing QB.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

That lateral he made on the last drive in regulation may have been the dumbest play I’ve ever witnessed in my 47 years of watching football.

It was stupid and the game was getting to big for him I think BUT... it did stop the clock.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

In 2 of the biggest drives of hte season with 2 minutes left today and the last drive agaisnt NE, no one was blocked.  Blaming a 2nd year QB to panic in that situation is alot to ask. 

Personally I'd blame the #2 ranked defense for allowing the Texans to cross the goal line 4 times in around the last 20 minutes.

The lateral certainly was a completely idiotic play, but other than that, really not sure about the hero ball.  You want to blame the long pass to DeMarco, what were his other options?

No I agree the defense had a hand in this loss.  I mean really Hauschka might be the only one who shouldn't be hanging his head after this one. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is 100% how I see it. I don't love Daboll but what I see is not mainly on play calling 

We stopped using our best weapon in Singletary late in the game. They just quit trying to run the damn ball. I'm sorry but that's either on McDermott or Daboll. Completely horrible play calling late in the game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Im like somewhere around B- to C+.  I felt like the first half he played like a franchise QB.  The second half was mixed.  He made some great plays but the fumble and bad sack (part of that on the oline IMO)  He also gamed in the second half but I think his head was spinning by then.  I think next year this kid is going to be good.

I still don't like Daboll.  I think just like Josh... he cant call a full game.

Edited by Scott7975

16 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

That lateral he made on the last drive in regulation may have been the dumbest play I’ve ever witnessed in my 47 years of watching football.

Simms throw backwards was worst

That Foles Special was so beautiful, exactly what I predicted but man the whole team crapped the bed play after play after that...Fg's instead of TDs

13 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Really; all on Josh?  Josh certainly made mistakes; but Duke had one in his mitts in the endzone; Brown forgot how to drag his feet; Morse completely whiffed on a potential huge run.  Oline completely allowed some free rushers(to include Watt of all people).  Meaningless running Gore in obvious situations.   Lee Smith with a killer holding penalty.

Kroft took a bad penalty late also. And I agree with you, not all Josh's fault. Duke dropped a nice pass from Allen in the end zone. Running Gore at all was foolish and I agree that our o-line, especially Ford who clearly didn't have his best game. Pressure on Watson was inconsistent in the 2nd half and our Highly ranked defense gave up a 16 pt lead.... Lots of issues all around the team including some coaching calls. It was a fun and entertaining season. Lots for the team and fans to look forward too. Go Bills!!!

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am right there will you. First half A- and second half D. 

D?  That's being rather generous.

Sooner or later the fanbase will catch on that games have 4 quarters and the QB needs to be good in pretty much of all of them, in almost all of the games.

Allen is simply not good enough to be a consistently high performer.

He's up and down and sideways and all over the map.

• Like (+1) 1