This game was lost many ways, but the biggest was blocking

Rubes

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Nope.  It was lost by an out of control Allen in the second half, turning into hero ball, idiot decision maker Allen.  WTF was that lateral?  Bombs to Demarco?  Are you kidding me?

How did the lateral lose the game? It stopped the clock because it prevented him from being tackled in bounds with no time outs.

3 hours ago, Billznut said:

The offensive line definitely could be upgraded, but seeing that they just did that last off season I expect them to focus in other areas and all these OL will be back again. Hopefully they will be better next year. ALL facets of the offense need to improve. QB, OL, WR, TE

A positive is that the OL is solid.  Not great, not bad... pretty good.  That being said, continuity on the OL can be just as important as a talent upgrade.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Do you really think the coaching staff, particularly the head coach, had a good in-game season?

Not particularly, but I’m not talking about the season. Just this game. Like I said, the game was lost many ways, coaching being one. I think the coaching in the second half was poor. I just think it was the poor blocking, play after play, that really derailed this one.

Just now, Rubes said:

Not particularly, but I’m not talking about the season. Just this game. Like I said, the game was lost many ways, coaching being one. I think the coaching in the second half was poor. I just think it was the poor blocking, play after play, that really derailed this one.

Houston had free rushers coming off 4 men as we went 5 wide in that 4th.  

No idea what was happening there.  The intentional grounding play was a 3 man rush, where 2 came free. 

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Blocking?  How about some quarterbacking!?  

Josh gave us his usual performance today.  Some good, some great, some FREAKING HORRIBLE...

And in the end it's just not enough to win.

Need more points.

Good blocks lead to points. You don’t want a new QB, you want a magician ? 

21 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Just an example of out of control Josh, but you are right, it didnt

An in control player could use that play in in last few seconds of a game. Kind of like the QB throwing it in the dirt. As long as there's a guy "in there area" of the lateral, you could just  Chuck the ball out of bounce.

Not that I think Josh was thinking that. 

4 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Nope.  It was lost by an out of control Allen in the second half, turning into hero ball, idiot decision maker Allen.  WTF was that lateral?  Bombs to Demarco?  Are you kidding me?

Bigger question is why was DeMarco even downfield?

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

DiMarco had inside position and if he timed his jump better it’s completed.

Yes, but that is why he is fullback and not a wide receiver 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rubes said:

That certainly contributed. But Watson was under constant pressure all game and got sacked 7 times I believe.  Blocking issues would seem to be a wash in that game.

Singletary also had a big wwhhhhiiffff in pass protection. I can't remember the exact outcome, but I think it was a big sack at a bad time. Not to poop on his otherwise great game, but if you're keeping score at home...