Late Ford personal foul call a joke

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Just leave.  You are clearly not a Bills fans.  Go pull the wings off some flies somewhere or set some ants on fire with magnifying glass for fun instead.

Sorry, been a Bills fan for 50+ years. Saw my first game live at War Memorial. O.J. took one 90+ to the house that day. 

I can disagree with people about the rules of the game and still be a strong supporter of the Bills. Frankly, it’s not reasonable to assume everyone who has a opinion that doesn’t align with yours is not a fan of the team.

BTW, nice handle...prepare to die. ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Didn't see any crack back block on that call.  Took us out of field goal range and a chance to win right there.  Tic Tac b.s. call.

Frustrated....

It was a correct call.  And completely unnecessary as the play was past him already. Rookie mistake, and a costly one.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Like (+1) 1

I feel bad for Ford.  BS call and then one of the *****heads tweets him to tell him to kill himself.  Imagine being that guy!?

3 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

It was a correct call.  And completely unnecessary as the play was past him already. Rookie mistake, and a costly one.

It was not the correct call

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

I feel bad for Ford.  BS call and then one of the *****heads tweets him to tell him to kill himself.  Imagine being that guy!?

It was not the correct call

Watch it again tomorrow.  Whatever was up with that tweet you mentioned was made by an ####### for sure.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

Was not the best call and was not blind side. Hit the guy on the numbers.

There is a point where NFL players just have to be aware of their surroundings or risk being de-cleated fair and square.

It's called a block. Instead of running outside, Allen could have easily stopped and waited to fling the Ball 30 yards downfield, where that clean Ford block would have been key.

It was a flat out BS call. Unreal how many ref forum fans there are and can't a call spade a spade.

The call was flat out SH!T

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

Watch it again tomorrow.  Whatever was up with that tweet you mentioned was made by an ####### for sure.

I did.  I also saw a lot of olineman in the game, especially Shaun O'Hara were pretty heated about it too.  I thought it was a bad call

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

It's s ***** call, but it's still the rule. You can't block someone while facing your own end zone.

He was mostly facing the sideline tho

• Like (+1) 1

It was a weak ass call at a crucial moment of a crucial ball game. The refs can throw a flag on about 80% of plays if they want. All of these touchy penalties are the reason ratings are down imo. Only call blatant penalties and let the men play. It's as simple as that. Ratings through the roof again!

Edited by NC Book
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rubes said:

backwards or parallel to your own end zone.

Not the EZ?  He blocked 30 degrees wrong face to face = ohh no. Flag that Mutha F for a personnel foul, Bills are in FG range in OT during a playoff game. 

People are Blind AF.

The call is BS. 

Edited by Real McNasty

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Thank you for posting the picture. Ford just needs to stand in the guys way. He is clearly facing the wrong way. It's the correct call.

He is facing the wrong way, but he doesn't initiate the contact nor is it "forcible" by any stretch. He moves into the defender's path and lets him run into him. This rule is designed to protect players who can't see a block coming, not to make offensive players get out of the way of a defensive player.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CodeMonkey said:

Is it the correct call? I’ll have to look up the NFL rule when I have some time, but I’m not sure it was. Sure looked like Ford was blocking a guy who saw him coming and adjusted his body position accordingly. Ford also didn’t leave his feet or target the head/neck area. Seemed more like a block working down the line rather than an illegal crack back block. They are not the same thing. It’s absolutely legal to work back and block if it is done within the rules. 

Edit: Found the rule. Sure doesn’t sound like it should have been called in this instance. Fords block looks to fall into “(b) he approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.
Note: If the near shoulder of the blocker contacts the front of his opponent’s body, the “peel back” block is legal.”

CRACKBACK (ILLEGAL)
Article 11 At the snap, an offensive player who is aligned in a position more than two yards laterally outside an offensive tackle, or a player who is in a backfield position at the snap and then moves to a position more than two yards laterally outside a tackle, may not clip an opponent anywhere, nor may he contact an opponent below the waist if the blocker is moving toward the position where the ball was snapped from, and the contact occurs within an area five yards on either side of the line of scrimmage.
Note 1: A player aligned more than two yards laterally outside a tackle at the snap is designated as being flexed.
Note 2: If runner (passer) scrambles on the play, significantly changing the original direction (broken play), the crackback block is legal.
Penalty: Illegal crackback block: Loss of 15 yards.
A.R. 12.20 Second-and-10 on A40. Flanker A1 sets up five yards outside of offensive tackle A2. At the snap, A1 comes back and crackback blocks B1. Contact is made at the A38 behind the offensive tackle’s original position. Runner goes to 50.
Ruling: A’s ball second-and-25 on A25. Illegal crackback block. Penalize from previous spot.
ILLEGAL PEEL BACK BLOCK
(a) the blocker is moving toward his own end line; and
(b) he approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.
Note: If the near shoulder of the blocker contacts the front of his opponent’s body, the “peel back” block is legal.
Penalty: For illegal “peel back” block: Loss of 15 yards.

Edited by PetermansRedemption
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

It's called a block. Instead of running outside, Allen could have easily stopped and waited to fling the Ball 30 yards downfield, where that clean Ford block would have been key.

It was a flat out BS call. Unreal how many ref forum fans there are and can't a call spade a spade.

The call was flat out SH!T

Yeah. I said it was a bad call.

I also said that NFL players who are not paying attention and get blocked or pancaked near the play from any where around the front of their jerseys and the numbers should not draw flags for holding (which many pancake blocks were flagged as this year), or that ridiculous flag for a blind side hit. Ford did not lower the boom just blocked the guy and if a player's blind side is the direction he is facing he deserves to get blocked out of the play.

Certainly the Bills need to play better and made enough mistakes to lose the game outright, but I cannot believe how many ticky-tacky calls this crew made, and how many times they got in the way of our players trying to make a play.

Trying to pin a punt deep and the ref basically blocks our guy from getting to the ball, Josh trying to escape the pocket and he runs into the ref in the "umpire" position and takes a sack. They also flat-out sucked at spotting the ball. Gave Beasley a first down when he was a bit short, and then gave a 1st down to the Texans one time when their receiver was a full yard short. - if that was playoff caliber officiating the NFL needs to think about a new way of producing better refs, starting with giving Ron Rivera the boot.

Been a pretty rough year after a suspect year before.

• Like (+1) 1

Ford’s block is typical on screens and sweeps, where offensive lineman try to seal inside defenders from getting outside to make a play. It was not an illegal block. It’s extraordinary that a ref would make that call in such a pivotal situation.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Rubes said:

It's s ***** call, but it's still the rule. You can't block someone while facing your own end zone.

Facing your end zone is a part of the rule (along with using the forearms &/or shoulders which Ford did), but it also includes forcible contact.  That portion of the rule is the objection.  Terms like that make officiating FAR too subjective.

The intent of the rule is to eliminate players who wheel back and de-cleat a defender in pursuit at an angle that they don't see you coming.  That did not happen here.  In this case, Josh broke containment, and Ford looked inside to interrupt pursuing defenders.  The defender Ford hit made a late adjustment preparing for the hit, so he knew it was coming.  Also, the defender was neither injured, nor even knocked to the ground on the play.

Since the officials evoked common sense in the end zone on the overturned kickoff debacle (as they should have FWIW), common sense should have been exercised here also.  Only one person on the field felt that block was a problem.  Unfortunately, that person happened to have a flag in his belt.

• Like (+1) 2