Late Ford personal foul call a joke

4 minutes ago, JinxedBill said:

They get technical with that call but not the other one in the end zone.

so one for the Texans nullified for common sense. The other left because.....Bills. No common sense. 

I thought the same thing.  Seemed a realllllly good time for some common sense officiating!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/04/mike-pereira-terry-mcaulay-disagree-with-blindside-block-penalty-on-bills/

Mike Pereira, Terry McAulay disagree with blindside block penalty on Bills

The Bills were nearing field-goal range in overtime to attempt a game-winner. Josh Allen scrambled for 4 yards to the Houston 38 on third-and-nine, which would have given Sean McDermott a big decision: Go for it, give Stephen Hauschka a chance for a long field goal or punt.

But officials called rookie right tackle Cody Ford for a blindside block.

The 15-yard penalty backed up the Bills to their own 43. Allen threw incomplete; the Bills punted; and Buffalo never saw the ball again.

But rules officials from NBC and Fox disagreed with the call.

“The player is blocking toward his own end line, but the very subjective question would be does he make forcible contact with the shoulder?” NBC rules analyst Terry McAulay, a former NFL referee, tweeted. “Based on what I’ve seen called and not called this year I would have to say it is not.”

Mike Pereira, the NFL’s former supervisor of officials, also questioned the penalty.

“I think the call is incorrect,” the Fox rules analyst tweeted. “He doesn’t lead with his shoulder or head. He pushes him. It is a bad rule.”

The league expanded the blindside block rule for 2019.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's the rule. He gave himself up. Remember the Tee White INT where they rules he gave himself up? Would you like them to reverse that as well?

Completely different.  White went to the ground which is the way you give youself up.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

I just watched both replays again. Can’t agree with this from MP. It clearly looks like he lead with both shoulder and forearms on this play from an up-field position.

Pretty clear penalty under the rules and hard to miss at that point by the ref.

A dumb and unnecessary block as well because Allen was already clear if the defender.

sorry you are wrong 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Completely different.  White went to the ground which is the way you give youself up.  

Yup.  Which is why the ref stepped away from the ball when the returner just tossed it and didn't hesitate at all calling it a TD when Johnson scored.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I guess we're sore losers. In no way did the refs decide that game.

The Bills played great for one half and were garbage the other.
The Texans were garbage in the first and great in the other. 
OT was pretty even. The refs kind of tipped the scale.

The Bills had every chance to win this game though and it's a shame they choked.

1 minute ago, Freak-O said:

The Bills played great for one half and were garbage the other.
The Texans were garbage in the first and great in the other. 
OT was pretty even. The refs kind of tipped the scale.

The Bills had every chance to win this game though and it's a shame they choked.

They did choke.  It was a tale of two halves. Just shows we have a way to go. We were playing with house money but it still sucks, especially when we were up. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

completely BS rule that needs to be reversed, there is NOTHING wrong with that play. Whats he supposed to do just let go on by and make the play?

i do agree and it's being applied incorrectly over what it was intended it's just the way it's written presently... It should of been no flag imo but it is in the book...you could expand it the same way for the kick off mess up since he didn't take a knee or give himself up really

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MassHog said:

How can you call that but you cant call this:

The QB is a runner here and can be hit like any RB in that situation. Helmet to helmet is fine on a RB (happens most runs) but is a penalty if the runner is being held in a vulnerable position and can’t defend himself. Clearly not the case here.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

The QB is a runner here and can be hit like any RB in that situation. Helmet to helmet is fine on a RB (happens most runs) but is a penalty if the runner is being held in a vulnerable position and can’t defend himself. Clearly not the case here.

You still cant target high....

Just now, PolishPrince said:

You still cant target high....

Yes you can as long as the runner isn’t defenseless. 

I think it’s cheap in this situation because Allen wasn’t trying to lunge for a first down or anything.

Just now, BisonMan said:

I think it’s cheap in this situation because Allen wasn’t trying to lunge for a first down or anything.

Wrong, you can not target high with the crown of your helmet. if it was his shoulder, sure... but it was front of helmet

8 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

3 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Just leave.  You are clearly not a Bills fans.  Go pull the wings off some flies somewhere or set some ants on fire with magnifying glass for fun instead.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1