Late Ford personal foul call a joke

Just now, WideNine said:

Was not the best call and was not blind side. Hit the guy on the numbers.

There is a point where NFL players just have to be aware of their surroundings or risk being de-cleated fair and square.

Blindside blocks are not blocks in the back. They don’t require the guy to get “blown up” or get knocked down. 

Read the rule as it has been posted a number of times in this thread.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Announcers said it was the right call immediately 

I think they were wrong. I don’t automatically sign up for what Booger says. On any level. In fact, I try to ignore him. 

Face mask to face mask. That’s no penalty in my eye. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BisonMan said:

Blindside blocks are not blocks in the back. They don’t require the guy to get “blown up” or get knocked down. 

They need to be unseen.  This one wasn't.

55 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Didn't see any crack back block on that call.  Took us out of field goal range and a chance to win right there.  Tic Tac b.s. call.

Frustrated....

You could watch another 100 games and won't see that call again.  Nonsense. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, MassHog said:

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. He laid a block at 2 o'clock, if it was 5,6, or 7, I understand the call. Refs would not call that for any other team. 

Come on....they would call that for the Patriots all day.

2 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Common Sense didn’t prevail in this particular instance... funny how Common Sense officiating cost the Bills mightly today... 

it was ‘common sense’ to straight up ignore the rules of the game on the kickoff, but obviously had to call a suuuuuuuuuuuper questionable crack back on an game changing play....lol typical NFL

1 minute ago, BisonMan said:

‘Forcible contact’

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Announcers said it was the right call immediately 

The announcer, Booger McFarland is one of the biggest morons out there.

Look at Mike Perreira's twitter post. He admitted it was wrong. There was no forcible contact. Forcible is part of the terminology in that rule too.

Edited by suorangefan4
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, MassHog said:

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. He laid a block at 2 o'clock, if it was 5,6, or 7, I understand the call. Refs would not call that for any other team. 

He was literally looking right at Ford. That call cost us a chance to win. Not to mention no holding call on 3rd & 18. Very few penalties on Houston. What a shocker. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Just now, suorangefan4 said:

The announcer, Booger McFarland is one of the biggest morons out there.

Look at Mike Perreira's twitter post. He admitted it was wrong. There was no forceable contact.

Mcfarland is the biggest idiot they've ever put on the booth

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Just YE OLE’s 2 cents... what you’re saying is true, but none of these rules are called in a vacuum. Things like intent, severity, and a host of other factors always come into play.

The odd second half kickoff/TD they took off the board is a perfect example. To the letter of the law, the official obviously didn’t feel like he gave himself up and called it a TD. However “after discussion” they reversed it and the term “common sense” started getting thrown around in ensuing analysis of the whole debacle. To the letter of the law, there also holding, PI, illegal contact, etc. on a majority of snaps. Watt, 100% landed his full weight on Allen at one point, which we’ve seen called and then not called. All of the rules are called subjectively, so things like intent and “spirit of the rule” always come into play. 

Again... YE OLE’s two cents is they generally let them play all day, and didn’t call a very tight game. Nobody was getting injured based on Ford’s actions. That’s a really tough call to make in OT of a playoff game.

Exactly!

If you wanna change the rule that the Titans clearly broke by not kneeling or signaling fair catch by using common sense, then they need to realize that that call against Ford at that junction of the game should not be called.

But of course only the Texans get that benefit, along with numerous other calls.

It's not surprising, but always stings a bit when you have to tolerate this crap year after year.

16 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

I just watched both replays again. Can’t agree with this from MP. It clearly looks like he lead with both shoulder and forearms on this play from an up-field position.

Pretty clear penalty under the rules and hard to miss at that point by the ref.

A dumb and unnecessary block as well because Allen was already clear if the defender.

But the former head of officiating says it was a bad call.  Why hold on to defending it?  

Here’s the thing—it certainly can be called.  You take the lines on the field, you consider the players position relative to said lines, you consider whether the “contact” was “forceable” or not—whatever the **** that means in a game where violent collisions are the norm, and you pay particular attention to the forearms head and shoulder of said player. 

The question is, why the **** was the flag thrown at a critical moment on national stage in first game of the playoffs when it is fairly common knowledge that a fair amount of contact is let go in every *****ing play?  Holding calls are ignored.  Defensive backs are allowed to contact players outside the rules.  A player like Watt can sack a Qb and land on him, forcefully, pretty obviously against the rules—-in a scenario where virtually every fan of every team thinks it’s a BS rule to begin with—-and a call made many times is not made then?

This in a league they can’t consistently call a face mask penalty? 

Yet here, the former head of officiating says there was not forceable contact in violation of the rule...and it kills a drive dead in its tracks. I’m thinking the rule is there to protect the other player, hence the “forceable” v “any”. 

Sh*tty call, game-altering, and while I’m no longer a conspiracy guy, it certainly feeds the conspiracy minded.  I personally think the officiating is simply unprofessional. Average age appears to be 75, the guys are perpetually out of position, and they are as inconsistent as ****. 

league attendance lowest in 15 years, and this is a big reason why. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Awesome! (+1) 1