The fair catch, that wasn't.

peterpan

7 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I'd be curious to know what the rule on that states. 

I hate how a returner just waving his arms constitutes a dead ball. Make the returner field the damn ball.

Seems to me the rules were posted in the thread and the runner had to give a knee. 

19 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I hate how a returner just waving his arms constitutes a dead ball. Make the returner field the damn ball.

It shouldn’t. It’s not a valid fair catch signal. The rules do spell out what is a valid fair catch signal. So if the waiving of the arms is what constitutes giving himself up he should have at least gotten flagged for an invalid fair catch signal IMO. 

1 minute ago, peterpan said:

Thanks for bringing that up. 

The playclock had expired and should have been delay of game, 3rd and 23.  

And then presumably the entire defense would have set up camp 40 yards downfield.....

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

When I saw it, at first I thought meh, it was nothing. Then as I watched the replay, the official threw that blue piece signaling turnover. I know it won't mean much, but as far as I'm concerned, it was a judgment call.

And if it was a judgement call, it should have remained with the call on the field. The leader of the crew, the head referee, is the one who made the call. He made clear with his body language that he wasn’t going to accept the flipped ball. He then let the play continue and called it a TD. Someone said it before, but I wonder who those NFL officials in the trench coats on the sidelines were. And if they had anything to do with the overturning of the call. 

22 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

It doesnt

That t pose thing is a signal to his team.  He is 100% allowed to do that and then run it out.

3 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

Only the Bills have to follow the strict interpretation of the rules. Hopkins short of sticks?  Ah hell give him the first. Ford block? Yes we must follow the rules. Play clock at 0 for 2 seconds on 3rd and 18?  Ah hell happens all the time. 

Yeah that free 1st down hurt. You also forget the holding call on Siran that we never saw a replay for.

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Since when does double fists, arms spread, signal a fair catch/give up???

I don't think there is a rule about the arms spread meaning give up, but in this case it was pretty clear he was giving himself up when he tossed the ball to the referee.  That being said, if he quickly picks up the ball and returns it 100 yards for a touchdown of his own, do the refs huddle up and rule that he gave himself up?  Probably not.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, MPT said:

No, it literally never happens. Because teams know that you have to down the ball. He screwed up, and we got screwed.

The argument is over what constitutes the player “giving himself up”...

Not just on kicks but other plays to...

If you think it’s cut and dried argument, have a read of Twitter... 

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Now that I have reviewed the play, the ref blows the play dead. You can see the ref behind the play holding his hand up with his whistle in his mouth marking the turnover's spot. 

Had the endzone ref or another ref blown the play dead then this would be null and void. Since the the play was not blown dead its a live ball until a whistle blows it dead. 

Hell, they could of said they had the intent to blow the play dead and that would of been the end of it. They worsened the situation by saying that after a discussion they were overturning the call on the field which was a touchdown. Not only did they give no legitimate reason for the overturn but also ignored the fact it had been ruled a TD on the field which would require a Booth Review as all scoring plays are reviewed.

The booth seemed to review quite a few non scoring plays too including a few ball placement calls etc.

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

‘Judgement call’ kills me lol...why even have a rule book then?

Ford obviously didn’t MEAN to peelback on that LB, so no foul right???

For years, so many judgment calls that showed the call wrong have been like that. If the official called what the KR did a fumble, and even signaled a turnover, then because O'Brien boo hooed about it, he reverses his own judgment call? On the way home from the airport, I was listening to CBS radio. The broadcaster was like the Bills were incredibly jobbed because of that. I don't really want it to go down as a blown call personally, it makes the loss that much worse

29 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Come on.

Stop 3d and 18 and we might be discussing next week’s game.

You mean the play where several of our players were pointing at the play clock at zero? Probably should have stopped it anyway, but it's just another in a long list of ways the referees bent the rules for the Texans. Our guys were probably a little distracted thinking it would be called.

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

The argument is over what constitutes the player “giving himself up”...

Not just on kicks but other plays to...

If you think it’s cut and dried argument, have a read of Twitter... 

There is no argument. The rule says you have to down the ball in the endzone for a touchback. There is nothing about "giving yourself up" so that is a meaningless point. "Giving yourself up" refers to plays in between the endzones only.