The fair catch, that wasn't.

peterpan

18 hours ago, Scott7975 said:
ARTICLE 5. FREE KICK CROSSES GOAL LINE

It is a touchback, if a free kick:

1. touches the ground in the end zone before being touched by the receiving team.
  2. goes out of bounds behind the receiving team’s goal line;
  3. strikes the receiving team’s goal post, uprights, or cross bar; or
  4. is downed in the end zone by the receiving team.

I had said, I laughed Out Loud when the ref stepped away from the ball as it was "fumbled" in the end zone and he raised his hands for the TD.

I would have no issue with a reversal had it come from the Refs ON the field and not the damn replacements

Some people in the media are saying it would have been an issue had the call stood.   

HELLO. 

It's still and issue because by he didn't take the knee

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

18 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The call we should really be pissed about is that terrible crack back block. This crucial of a game you absolutely cannot call that a penalty, it was a terrible call but the non kneel down would have been a bush league TD, it's my opinion and you obviously have yours. To me that should already have been in the rulebook.

what should be in the rule book? That tossing the ball is the same as kneeling?

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I watched the replay of the game on NFLN last night and was once again SHOCKED when those extra refs came out into the middle of the field to reverse the call. I’m not one for conspiracy theories but boy did that look REALLY suspicious!!!

I wouldn’t say suspicious because all I suspect is they wanted a common sense solution to a clumsy, poorly regulated moment that the rule book is not well designed for. 

it was improper though.

18 minutes ago, Nick the Greek said:

Use common sense. The guy wasn’t gonna return it, and tossed the ball to the ref. The play was over. Touchback. 

Let’s apply common sense. The Ravens lined up against us at the end of the first half in victory formation. It appeared as if they were going to take  a knee. They faked taking a knee and ran a play. 

Does that mean that Lamar is down because he made the motion as if he was going to take a knee?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001085056/Ravens-unveil-sneaky-fake-kneel-down-trick-play-to-end-first-half

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I watched the replay of the game on NFLN last night and was once again SHOCKED when those extra refs came out into the middle of the field to reverse the call. I’m not one for conspiracy theories but boy did that look REALLY suspicious!!!

I've been watching football for 40 years, Ive never seen additional off field officials come on the field during  a game ever. Has the NFL explained who these guys were and how they were allowed to rush onto the field? 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

To the people saying this happens all the time have they posted any evidence yet?

Happened in the Saints/Vikings game. Returner threw his arms out to the side, caught the ball, refs blew the whistle...on to commercial.

People talk about the Texans returner having a brain fart. No, he did not.

The ref is the one who had the total brain fart.

Just now, Rick 'r Mortis said:

Happened in the Saints/Vikings game. Returner threw his arms out to the side, caught the ball, refs blew the whistle...on to commercial.

link

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

link

Not my fault you and so many others don't watch other NFL team teams play their games.

I remember seeing it and thinking "hmm, wonder if anyone else just saw this". I haven't gone through this whole thread, but I'm thinking one of two things...

People didn't watch the game after watching the Bills game

Or...they saw the same thing play out except, the refs actually blew the whistle instead of signaling TD

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Let’s apply common sense. The Ravens lined up against us at the end of the first half in victory formation. It appeared as if they were going to take  a knee. They faked taking a knee and ran a play. 

Does that mean that Lamar is down because he made the motion as if he was going to take a knee?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001085056/Ravens-unveil-sneaky-fake-kneel-down-trick-play-to-end-first-half

I think the question is...if the runner fake to give the ball to the referee and then he runs an scores a td (no whistle) do you think they are going to overturn the play? I dont think so.

by the way...my first post after 10 years reading the forum!

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Gonzonzo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

No, the ref knew the rule and was acting accordingly. That's not really disputable. It's written down and very clear. You can debate whether it should be the rule or whether you'd be okay with winning because of an opposing team's mental mistake, but the rule itself says that the player failed to down the ball for a touchback and that was a live ball. The fact that the league sent alternate officials onto the field to reverse the correct call doesn't change that, nor does any "common sense" that he gave himself up.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

Not my fault you and so many others don't watch other NFL team teams play their games.

I remember seeing it and thinking "hmm, wonder if anyone else just saw this". I haven't gone through this whole thread, but I'm thinking one of two things...

People didn't watch the game after watching the Bills game

Or...they saw the same thing play out except, the refs actually blew the whistle instead of signaling TD

I watched all the games this weekend and don't remember seeing it. Should be pretty easy to pull up if it actually happened like you say.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

Im not saying that you're a fibber, but I'm not sure this is entirely correct. 

Can you provide a link?

I would like to know why after all the s@$^ we have witnessed these past few years with calls being made to the letter of the law, no matter how absurdly removed from the original intent of the rule, the officials determined that this one call needed "common sense"?   The league's policy has been too effin bad for years, but for 5 minutes on Saturday there was suddenly room to contemplate the spirit of the rule.  All those catches overturned to the letter of the rule no matter how common sense they were and the NFL told them tough luck, the competition committee will look at it in the offseason.  

Belichick has made a living on poorly written rules.  Did anyone shut down his sheisty substitutions  vs Baltimore in the playoffs? No, the league addressed it AFTER the season.  Did the league do anything about all the pick plays he was running? 

That one kickoff was the exception.  Why?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3