The fair catch, that wasn't.

peterpan

6 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think the issue is that like many rules - they define it during the off season with the videos and training provided to the teams and Referees.

They many times allow things that fall outside the exact definition of the rules.  We saw it with the catch rule and PI - sometimes they expand or contract definitions not by changing rules, but by changing emphasis.

The kickoffs have been that way on and off this year, but what happened in the playoff game was a further extreme.

As to Cody Fords block - that was a big point of emphasis this season.  Offensive players are not supposed to block anyone if they are facing away from the goal they are heading toward.  It is supposed to protect from blindside hits, but even in this case with the guy looking at him - it is still illegal.  

I don’t agree with the rule, but it has been called that same way many times this season.

I think both rules are having the effect the NFL wants - they just suck for the timing.

Shouldn't they have called the equivalent peelback on Edmunds for Texan's last touchdown then? 

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

They opted to go in favor of the spirit of the rule, rather than the letter, and that's the way it should be. Otherwise, the game becomes unwatchable.

Unfortunately, the spirit of the rule in Ford's case did not come into play.  That was a literal interpretation on a play where the defender saw the block coming, was not "forcibly" contacted and did not even fall down on the play.  That's not the spirit of the blindside block rule.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

this is 100% wrong.

The refs never catch the ball.

They're old men.  They usually drop it.

I have seen many kicks where the returner stands there and the ref does nothing til the dude takes a knee as it should be.

There aren't many "old men" refereeing NFL games anymore.

1 hour ago, familykwi said:

Unfortunately, the spirit of the rule in Ford's case did not come into play.  That was a literal interpretation on a play where the defender saw the block coming, was not "forcibly" contacted and did not even fall down on the play.  That's not the spirit of the blindside block rule.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I have seen many kicks where the returner stands there and the ref does nothing til the dude takes a knee as it should be.

There aren't many "old men" refereeing NFL games anymore.

The ref got the call right. The men in black are the ones that reversed it.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, peterpan said:

I've never seen that signal before.  Since when does double fists, arms spread, signal a fair catch/give up???  I'm wondering when that became a legal signal and/or why the call was overturned?!?!?

Is this the 1st game you have ever watched

A couple points I feel worth considering:

During live play is the official considering a neutral part of the field of play?

If so, was the play really some kind of forward pass if there was no passing target anywhere near?

Also, is a forward fumble/pass entirely inside the end zone possible?  The endzone has no yardage markers and is a special area of the playing field where the goalline and sidelines are the most important aspects.  Is the ball and possession inside or outside of the EZ is how it's treated.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Anyone know when the "league" will comment on this? We clearly were *****, no doubt about it.

They tried to sweep it under the carpet but when do they address things like this, Tuesday maybe?

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Correct - the argument was why when it happened to the Bills in the Bills/Jets game it was a Jets TD.

Since that game they changed the rule to mirror closer to punts to lessen injury.  

Kickoffs now that break the plain of the goal line and touch the ground are considered down once they touch the ground.  

That is new compared to the game in the Bills/Jets where the kickoff was considered a live ball.

But, it didn't touch the ground until after it was caught - and then he flipped it.............If that doesn't change things, the rules are even stupider than I thought.  

3 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

A couple points I feel worth considering:

During live play is the official considering a neutral part of the field of play?

If so, was the play really some kind of forward pass if there was no passing target anywhere near?

Also, is a forward fumble/pass entirely inside the end zone possible?  The endzone has no yardage markers and is a special area of the playing field where the goalline and sidelines are the most important aspects.  Is the ball and possession inside or outside of the EZ is how it's treated.

Or, how can there be a line of scrimmage when there isn't one... once the returner touches the ball.

I thought the play was correctly reversed, but after watching the ESPN piece with Hasselback, he’s right.  A rule is a rule.  The ref on the field got it right.  You can’t arbitrarily decide not to enforce a rule.  The NFL is a goddamn mess.  Now they change rules real-time depending on the circumstances.  

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/4/2020 at 5:35 PM, MJS said:

He gave himself up. Remember the Tee White INT where he ran back into the end zone? They rules that Tre White gave himself up too. Can't have it both ways.

On White's INT, he was on the ground

Being on the ground or kneeling and making no attempt to advance are the two ways to "give yourself up"

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, bbb said:

But, it didn't touch the ground until after it was caught - and then he flipped it.............If that doesn't change things, the rules are even stupider than I thought.  

My god - what are you arguing.  Once again (slower for you) - We were discussing the NYJ/BUFF game from years ago and how that would be interpreted with today’s rule.

I am not sure how else to explain this.  The discussion you keep quoting was not talking about this play in this game.

In this game - the returner caught the ball before hitting the ground - so the ground part has absolutely no bearing on the play.  As I have stated in this thread several times - what I do not know is what/how the safety signal works for this play and how this returner has used in earlier in the game and season.

I also want to see other returns - because I think this has happened without the kneel down and not been an issue (just considered a touchback), but it was obvious both officials did not consider it a fair catch - so in that case without additional evidence - I think they should stay with the call on the field.

I'll get over this game, but I'll honestly be stuck on this call for a long time... It was horrid, atrocious and just flat out unfair. To go against the actual rule book of the NFL and overturn it because of "common sense" is just inexcusable. 

Momentum is such a key factor in a game with human nature and if they call that correctly then there is NO WAY the Texans overcome that and comeback. 

Ugh... just disgusted at the NFL right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone posted a single example of a kick returner catching the kick without signalling fair catch or kneeling, then proceeding to walk forward with the ball and then tossing the ball toward the refs. I have read that it happens all the time from posters on this board. Anyone? Anything?

On 1/4/2020 at 5:33 PM, Returntoglory said:

Horrible call! Either fair catch or take a knee! These putz announcers saying " Common sense" pisses me off! In 50+ years of watching pro football I have NEVER seen a player just stand there and get a free pass like this. HORRIBLE CALL!!!!!!

The ref in the end zone didn’t think the play was dead as he backed away from the ball when the returner tossed it to him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If someone can find even one example of this happening before would be much appreciated

Apparently it happens all the time

You'll just have to trust them.  They've seen it, they swear.  They don't know who or when, but they've seen it.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1