The fair catch, that wasn't.

peterpan

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It was a fumble by rule. Returner was walking forward with the ball, ref told him to stay. I'm not mad at the reversal though.

According to the Ref, it was going to be an illegal forward pass. It would have been a  safety, not a Touchdown.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/1/5/21050351/should-the-bills-have-been-awarded-a-touchdown-on-second-half-kickoff-houston-texans

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

According to the Ref, it was going to be an illegal forward pass. It would have been a  safety, not a Touchdown.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/1/5/21050351/should-the-bills-have-been-awarded-a-touchdown-on-second-half-kickoff-houston-texans

That's after the TD. They were going to change it a safety.

What is what is effing infuriating is the rush to judgement, including the “ official” on the broadcast.

Hoodie has made a freaking career out of exploiting the rules. 
   Add this to the BS block call and I want to beat the living #### out of someone on the NFL rules comittee office.

???????

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

I, for one, think it is AWSOME that we are complaining about refs and calls today. This beats the heck out of being in our third month of talking about the next draft!     :) 

Now that you mention it, that call actually got us a higher draft pick!  

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The ref signaled TD, and it would have been changed to a safety on review. You know, if they had followed the normal NFL procedure of reviewing all scoring plays. Which of course they didn't.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GoBills808 said:

The ref signaled TD, and it would have been changed to a safety on review. You know, if they had followed the normal NFL procedure of reviewing all scoring plays. Which of course they didn't.

I think they did review it (in a sense), if those guys that ran on the field were from the league, which it looked like to me. My guess is that the Ref was about to call that a foul and the league stepped in so that another playoff game wasn't decided by controversy. The whole reason we have review-able PI now is because of the fallout from last year's Saints/Vikings.

They opted to go in favor of the spirit of the rule, rather than the letter, and that's the way it should be. Otherwise, the game becomes unwatchable.

If they aren't feeling sorry for the Texans (at the time, the Houston offense had no pulse and that score would have made it 20-0), who knows how they rule it. 

I honestly thought they didn't want that call to determine the game so they just "fixed" it.  A TD there at that time would have been a backbreaker for the Texans.

Well now both the Titans (Oilers) and Houston have gotten some measure of revenge for the 92 comeback game.  Enjoy your ten penalties next week in KC, Texans.  I hope they're all ticky-tack drive killers!  :D

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think they did review it (in a sense), if those guys that ran on the field were from the league, which it looked like to me. My guess is that the Ref was about to call that a foul and the league stepped in so that another playoff game wasn't decided by controversy. The whole reason we have review-able PI now is because of the fallout from last year's Saints/Vikings.

They opted to go in favor of the spirit of the rule, rather than the letter, and that's the way it should be. Otherwise, the game becomes unwatchable.

Video review is the rule, on all scoring plays.

I completely disagree w/the bolded, mostly because the entire reason to have a rulebook in sports is so you don't have to have refs adjudicating players' intent, but whatevs. If spirit of the rule is the standard then dropping the ball before you cross the goalline would still be a TD, no need to actually kneel on kneeldowns or spike the ball to stop the clock, lol if that sounds watchable to you we must be watching two very different games.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Video review is the rule, on all scoring plays.

I completely disagree w/the bolded, mostly because the entire reason to have a rulebook in sports is so you don't have to have refs adjudicating players' intent, but whatevs. If spirit of the rule is the standard then dropping the ball before you cross the goalline would still be a TD, no need to actually kneel on kneeldowns or spike the ball to stop the clock, lol if that sounds watchable to you we must be watching two very different games.

That's absolutely the case. 

Have you ever head the phrases, "you could call holding on every play." or "the refs are letting them play/battle" That's exactly what that is. 

I'm sure there will be a change to the rulebook that clearly indicates "if a runner gives himself up" to solve it for next time, but I'll gladly take that and the loss over some tuckrule nonsense that gets us a win that the team didn't earn.

19 hours ago, peterpan said:

I've never seen that signal before.  Since when does double fists, arms spread, signal a fair catch/give up???  I'm wondering when that became a legal signal and/or why the call was overturned?!?!?

How about we go back to the old way where the returner has to catch it and down it? The kick off is a joke! 

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Have you ever head the phrases, "you could call holding on every play." or "the refs are letting them play/battle" That's exactly what that is. 

I'm sure there will be a change to the rulebook that clearly indicates "if a runner gives himself up" to solve it for next time, but I'll gladly take that and the loss over some tuckrule nonsense that gets us a win that the team didn't earn.

As the Patriots so often note, knowing the rule book is part of a player's (and coach's) responsibility.  If we benefitted because the opponent doesn't know the rules, that's earned.  Roberts let is land in the end zone without touching it because he knows the rule.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

So you want holding called on every play? Or never called? It's unclear...refs are tasked with making calls that they see which fall within the definitions of the rules of the game. 

And the tuckrule analogy is a bad one just FYI. The way the rule was written was clear Brady fumble, it was incorrectly interpreted and applied by Coleman. 

1 hour ago, bbb said:

This seems like you are talking about the rule as of now:

If the ball on a kickoff touches the ground in the end zone without being touched - it is now a touchback regardless of where it hit the ground first.  It can hit at the 10 and bounce into the end zone and it is a touchback - like a punt. 

Correct - the argument was why when it happened to the Bills in the Bills/Jets game it was a Jets TD.

Since that game they changed the rule to mirror closer to punts to lessen injury.  

Kickoffs now that break the plain of the goal line and touch the ground are considered down once they touch the ground.  

That is new compared to the game in the Bills/Jets where the kickoff was considered a live ball.

18 hours ago, Richmond_Bills said:

The Ref did signal TD.

I'm talking about over the regular season. 99/100 times the refs caught the ball and didn't signal a TD for the kickoff team. So sure there's no instance of a TD being reversed. But there's plenty of instances of what the KR did.

18 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Dude you must be on what Richie incognito is on. 

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 hour ago, Sandhill Mike said:

I can't say I've ever seen a fair catch on a kickoff (though I see it is allowed) and even so, I didn't notice their guy signal anything... he just fielded the ball and tossed it towards the ref.  I was shouting live ball... he never took a knee or stepped out of bounds.  He was a live runner from what I remember of the rules.

I think the rules committee will address two plays from this game in the offseason.  They will define this giving oneself up to include what we saw yesterday and I think they should address the Cody Ford "blindside" block...  Those guys could see each other.

I think the issue is that like many rules - they define it during the off season with the videos and training provided to the teams and Referees.

They many times allow things that fall outside the exact definition of the rules.  We saw it with the catch rule and PI - sometimes they expand or contract definitions not by changing rules, but by changing emphasis.

The kickoffs have been that way on and off this year, but what happened in the playoff game was a further extreme.

As to Cody Fords block - that was a big point of emphasis this season.  Offensive players are not supposed to block anyone if they are facing away from the goal they are heading toward.  It is supposed to protect from blindside hits, but even in this case with the guy looking at him - it is still illegal.  

I don’t agree with the rule, but it has been called that same way many times this season.

I think both rules are having the effect the NFL wants - they just suck for the timing.

• Like (+1) 1

My god,  it was a TD, I don't care what the intent was, the ref at the back of the end zone calling it right. The ref at the goal line never signals a touchback, he just pointed at the ground, that's not a proper signal 

• Like (+1) 1