The fair catch, that wasn't.

peterpan

Just now, Kmart128 said:

By rule that isnt giving yourself up. Giving youself up requires going to ground and not trying to advance football.

Say a player catches the ball from QB and immediately doesnt tosses ball to ref thats a fumble. Thats not giving youself up. That why QBs slide a QB just cant stop a play and toss ball to an official. You have to give yourself up by going to the ground

So my example about the Tre interception at the end of the Bengals game?

It should of been a touchdown; had he not fielded the ball and waived it off then fine. But he caught it, walked forward and flipped it to the ref. That is by rule a fumble and not giving yourself up.

Tre's pick in the endzone is giving yourself up. He just laid on the ground/ ran out the back. That is clear cut. There is no questioning his intention on the play as he doesn't go forward to advance the ball.

Edited by thewookie1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

It should of been a touchdown; had he not fielded the ball and waived it off then fine. But he caught it, walked forward and flipped it to the ref. That is by rule a fumble and not giving yourself up.

Tre's pick in the endzone is giving yourself up. He just laid on the ground/ ran out the back. That is clear cut.

But according to Scott1975 who posted the rule, there is no giving yourself up..

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Because he clearly gave himself up and that would have been the most horrendous call in the history of the sport, just my opinion though.

But yet a blindside block that wasn't really a blindside block is ok in overtime when it completely changes the complexion and possibly the outcome of the game?

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So does this apply to turnovers as well?

Wasnt their a similar situation at the end of the Bengals game this year when when Tre intercepted the ball at the end, wasn’t touched and ran out there back of his own end zone?

Don't know.  I'll see if I can find the rules on that tomorrow.  I believe it would be different though.

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

But according to Scott1975 who posted the rule, there is no giving yourself up..

If he ran out the back then he cannot be anything but out of bounds for a touchback.

If he lays there until an opposing player touches him its a touchback.

He didn't stand up and toss the ball to the ref, he didn't run in and out of the endzone.

To give up requires 1 of 3 things, a kneel down, a slide, or a refusal to get up while no one is around. A fair catch can also count in most circumstances.

The Texans player did none of that, he told his blockers what he was going to do but never gave the ref any reason to rule he'd given himself up. He walked a step forward and then just tossed the ball.  

Just now, thewookie1 said:

If he ran out the back then he cannot be anything but out of bounds for a touchback.

If he lays there until an opposing player touches him its a touchback.

He didn't stand up and toss the ball to the ref, he didn't run in and out of the endzone.

To give up requires 1 of 3 things, a kneel down, a slide, or a refusal to get up while no one is around. A fair catch can also count in most circumstances.

The Texans player did none of that, he told his blockers what he was going to do but never gave the ref any reason to rule he'd given himself up. He walked a step forward and then just tossed the ball.  

So if he runs out the back of the end zone, isn’t that a safety and the Bills punting it back? 

See, my take is that if you are throwing the ball to the ref, then you are “giving up”..

Can we at least agree the rule seems pretty subjective and might need to be more definitive?

Just now, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Tre wasn’t trying to advance the ball are you slow or just an #######? 

How is the Texans player trying to advance the ball by throwing it to the ref?

Go forth and self multiply 

So if he runs out the back of the end zone, isn’t that a safety and the Bills punting it back? 

See, my take is that if you are throwing the ball to the ref, then you are “giving up”..

Can we at least agree the rule seems pretty subjective and might need to be more definitive?

No rules are rules I don’t give a dam about your opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

No, he intercepted inside the endzone. As long as he doesn't leave the endzone he can go out of bounds anywhere for a touchback. If he ran it out to the 1 and then back into the endzone that would be a safety.

29 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Im not really all that upset by it but for the sake of discussion these are the rules...

ARTICLE 5. FREE KICK CROSSES GOAL LINE

It is a touchback, if a free kick:

1. touches the ground in the end zone before being touched by the receiving team.
  2. goes out of bounds behind the receiving team’s goal line;
  3. strikes the receiving team’s goal post, uprights, or cross bar; or
  4. is downed in the end zone by the receiving team.

The ball was never downed.  It technically should have been called a TD Bills according to the rules.  Waving your arms and tossing the ball is not downing the ball. There is nothing in the rules that says "obviously giving yourself up" can be used to make the call.  The rule is you have to down the ball.

This is all you need to see.

Dont give me the common sense prevails thing. Rules are rules for a reason and the returner didn't follow them. Mistakes are why games are lost, and that was a huge mistake by an idiot that didn't know the rules or just decided not to abide by them. 

Either way it should've been enforced. To change this is the refs not following the rules, so now when Ford gets called for a BS blindside block that really wasn't, that should now be looked at as something they maybe shouldn't have called...see how that works.

But it didn't, and there will be no repercussions for the refs that clearly botched following the rules which is their job.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

No, he intercepted inside the endzone. As long as he doesn't leave the endzone he can go out of bounds anywhere for a touchback. If he ran it out to the 1 and then back into the endzone that would be a safety.

He intercepts at the 10

18 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So my example about the Tre interception at the end of the Bengals game?

Exactly... in Tre situation  he went down stayed down. And then got back up and ran backwards instead advancing. By rule that is giving yourself up. Tossing the ball to an offical does not qualify.

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He intercepts at the 10

Now that I have reviewed the play, the ref blows the play dead. You can see the ref behind the play holding his hand up with his whistle in his mouth marking the turnover's spot. 

Had the endzone ref or another ref blown the play dead then this would be null and void. Since the the play was not blown dead its a live ball until a whistle blows it dead. 

Hell, they could of said they had the intent to blow the play dead and that would of been the end of it. They worsened the situation by saying that after a discussion they were overturning the call on the field which was a touchdown. Not only did they give no legitimate reason for the overturn but also ignored the fact it had been ruled a TD on the field which would require a Booth Review as all scoring plays are reviewed.

Just now, Bangarang said:

People are reaching here.

I‘m not sweating that call one way or the other, mostly because it’s more evidence that the nfl officiating crews could $&#@ up a wet dream.  The on-field official made the call, correctly by the rule it would seem.  There is no doubt of the intent of the returner, but when 4 or 5 calls (or calls not made at all) go against  you in the final 15-20 minutes of the game, it’s pretty natural to think “Oh, so now we’re calling it based on the intentions of the player v the rule.”. besides, intent rarely seems to matter to the officiating crew. 

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Now that I have reviewed the play, the ref blows the play dead. You can see the ref behind the play holding his hand up with his whistle in his mouth marking the turnover's spot. 

Had the endzone ref or another ref blown the play dead then this would be null and void. Since the the play was not blown dead its a live ball until a whistle blows it dead. 

Hell, they could of said they had the intent to blow the play dead and that would of been the end of it. They worsened the situation by saying that after a discussion they were overturning the call on the field which was a touchdown. Not only did they give no legitimate reason for the overturn but also ignored the fact it had been ruled a TD on the field which would require a Booth Review as all scoring plays are reviewed.

Yeah that’s probably fair..The ref does blow his whistle in the Bengals game...but can that be reviewed though?

Like I said, can we at least agree the rule is subjective and might need a tighten up?

Yeah that’s probably fair..The ref does blow his whistle in the Bengals game...but can that be reviewed though?

Like I said, can we at least agree the rule is subjective and might need a tighten up?

Oh certainly, they need to clean up that weird oversight but as the law states is how its supposed to be played. Why does the rules bend against us but never for us? 

Whistles cannot be reviewed to my knowledge