The fair catch, that wasn't.

peterpan

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Because it happens every game

? where a player doesnt give himself up, throws the ball for a TD to opposing team, and even the ref looking RIGHT AT HIM, got out of way of the tossed ball because he never gave himself up? I've never seen it. I saw Roberts do the same arm motion, then take a knee in endzone after catching it

Just now, PolishPrince said:

? where a player doesnt give himself up, throws the ball for a TD to opposing team, and even the ref looking RIGHT AT HIM, got out of way of the tossed ball because he never gave himself up? I've never seen it. I saw Roberts do the same arm motion, then take a knee in endzone after catching it

That's because he wasn't even calling a fair catch.  He was signaling to his own team that arm motion saying he wants coming out.  It should have been a TD.

1 minute ago, PolishPrince said:

How does he not give himself up?

He throws the ball to the ref...

Just now, PolishPrince said:

I cant tell if this is sarcasm... he is walking forward and tosses ball to ref. Where in the rules is this giving yourself up?

What does the rule say?

If he is not “giving himself up” then he is not advancing the ball..

How are the Bills to know this isn't a trick play?  Where a dude on the rec ieving team is going to pick up the ball and run for a TD?

Sort of like this pla y we all know?

lookit, clearly the Houston KR made a mistake.  So did josh Allen when he didn't tuck the ball as he was going down. 

By rule, it was a cheap TD for the Bills. I,m really disappointed that McD let that go. You can be sure that Bellicheck,k who knows the rules backwards and forwards, wouldn't have let that go. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, row_33 said:

He clearly surrendered the return, under the new rules the play was dead 

the intent  was him  surrendering himself.  Remember you don’t even have to catch a ball if it hit in the end zone to even have a touch back.

this rule will be adjusted so this doesn’t even come up again.  A player  catches a KO and tosses the ball down is a touchback if no other move is done.

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I posted the rules.  There is no "giving yourself up."  You either down the ball or its in play.

So does this apply to turnovers as well?

Wasnt their a similar situation at the end of the Bengals game this year when when Tre intercepted the ball at the end, wasn’t touched and ran out there back of his own end zone?

Remember when the Bills didn't pick up the ball in the endzone after a kickoff and the other team jumped on it for a TD? Clearly they MEANT to pick upp the ball. How could the refs not recognize that?! Sure, they didn't actually pick up the ball as the rules say, but they meant to. At least they didn't mean for the other team to score, so it definitely shouldn't have counted.

9 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

How does he not give himself up?

He throws the ball to the ref...

By rule that isnt giving yourself up. Giving youself up requires going to ground and not trying to advance football.

Say a player catches the ball from QB and immediately doesnt tosses ball to ref thats a fumble. Thats not giving youself up. That why QBs slide a QB just cant stop a play and toss ball to an official. You have to give yourself up by going to the ground

• Like (+1) 1