We need an improved O-line and WRs

4 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

That third down play after the gore run (gore being in the game drives me nuts) two linemen are looking right, rusher comes right past them, Singletary tries to pick up the delayed blitzer and misses. 
What the f were Spain and the other guy looking at. Just seems communication on the offensive line has been an issue all year. 

On Dabolls favorite call the josh Allen roll right sweep that should’ve been a 20 yard gain. Cunningham is starting at 3 lead blockers and only Knox tries to take the guy on. They should’ve buried Cunningham and we are in field goal range. 

Tons of blame to go around in this game but our offensive line has been better than the 2018 version but not good enough in my opinion. This game is a microcosm of what I’ve seen in multiple games this year. They miss assignments and have untimely penalties on big plays. 

Don't know how we missed those blocks

As you said,  make that block we win the gsme6

• Like (+1) 1

I’d be A-OK bringing in two 6’+ talented WRs to compete for starting spots, even if one takes it away from Brown.   

Brown was great this year, but it’s tough to be a dynamic offense with our mammoth QB throwing to speedy midgets.  

For instance, if we could say, sign Amari Cooper and then draft Laviska Shenault..., I’m in.  If they both start, so be it.  

Maybe with 4 good receivers, we can avoid the temptation to split DiMarco out wide. 

On the OL, I’m torn between continuity for a solid unit OR moving Ford inside, letting Spain walk and spending/drafting a RT early.  

Getting Singletary a legit running back to pair with is also a priority. 

Thankfully it seems almost a certainty that we will upgrade at least WR and RB. 

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I’d be A-OK bringing in two 6’+ talented WRs to compete for starting spots, even if one takes it away from Brown.   

Brown was great this year, but it’s tough to be a dynamic offense with our mammoth QB throwing to speedy midgets.  

For instance, if we could say, sign Amari Cooper and then draft Laviska Shenault..., I’m in.  If they both start, so be it. 

Maybe with 4 good receivers, we can avoid the temptation to split DiMarco out wide. 

On the OL, I’m torn between continuity for a solid unit OR moving Ford inside, letting Spain walk and spending/drafting a RT early.  

Getting Singletary a legit running back to pair with is also a priority. 

Thankfully it seems almost a certainty that will upgrade at least WR and RB. 

If we sign Cooper we aren't drafting a WR early. I could see signing a guy like Allison to compete for the 3/4 spot and if a guy they like falls to us in Round 2 doing that with our top pick being at DE to replace Shaq and eventually replacing Hughes.

On the Online I keep Spain but look for a veteran to compete at RT. Maybe Waddle comes back.

5 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If we sign Cooper we aren't drafting a WR early. I could see signing a guy like Allison to compete for the 3/4 spot and if a guy they like falls to us in Round 2 doing that with our top pick being at DE to replace Shaq and eventually replacing Hughes.

On the Online I keep Spain but look for a veteran to compete at RT. Maybe Waddle comes back.

Yea, I don’t expect us to do the bolded part... just saying that I would.   I think having multiple big catch radius guys (who are actually talented) would be the best way to supercharge this offense. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Yea, I don’t expect us to do the bolded part... just saying that I would.   I think having multiple big catch radius guys (who are actually talented) would be the best way to supercharge this offense. 

I also think a speedy RB like a Tarik Cohen do us wonders. I'd love a Salvon Ahmed if he comes out.

5 hours ago, Mshaw said:

none of this matters if Allen doesn't improve. 

put up 1 TD against the 30th ranked pass defense, and that was a trick play. had plenty of time to throw today even on his last OT drive. he choked 

In a sea of bad takes, this is right up there. On critical downs, it was often a jail break SMH , make an attempt to be honest...

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

And TE.      And ROT.        And DE.          And RB2.        And OLB.           And punter.        And OC.

so therefore we are set at QB, LOT, LG, C, RG, WR2, WR3, RB1, DE, DT, DT, LB, OLB, S, S

That's not bad. Most every team in NFL has more positional needs than us.  We have tons of draft picks(Beane has hit on last 2), and $90 million in cap room.  Todays loss sucked, but the Buffalo Bills will contend for Superbowl next season if Beane plays his cards right

6 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

If ever it was so obvious; we need improvement on the O-line and a true #1 receiver. 

absolutely, drops and inability to protect Allen was a major cause for today's loss.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'll take a new QB, thanks very much!

Not happening and hes not the problem, he made a lot of great plays and a few questionable ones, those will get cleaned up. WRs that can catch will make Allen much better.

12 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

If ever it was so obvious; we need improvement on the O-line and a true #1 receiver. 

Again, we've got a #1 receiver in John Brown. He's probably around the 20th best receiver in the league this year, and that's a #1.

As for a "true #1," (which generally means a guy in the top 6 or 7 best in the league), how many SB-winning teams in the last decade or so have had one? Almost none.

We don't need a true #1. We need an upgrade at the #3, and hopefully a bit more strong depth as well. If the guy we get eventually turns out to be as good as John Brown, that'd be fantastic. If he's even better, another Julio Jones, or an Antonio Brown without issues or a young AJ Green, great. But it's not necessary. If it were necessary, that would be awful because it's extremely difficult to come up with guys that good and we're very unlikely to manage it drafting where we are.

But luckily, it's not necessary. What's necessary is another good WR, another option teams have to respect.

As for your comments on the OL, yup, you make sense here. 

Also an LB. Above all, a pass rusher. And probably another CB as well, and a hammer at RB would go down well also.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Bigger WR's please.  Duke was the only one that beat the press consistently today.  

We don't need tall.

We need good.

If we get someone good, who's also tall, that'd great. But the tall part would be a great bonus, not an absolute necessity. My guess is they sign a solid vet who's a bit tall so we can use him as a chess piece in different designs. 

But plenty of tall guys can't beat the press consistently. Good CBs can defense tall. Get in his way, nudge him, restrict him. Most tall guys - not all, but most - aren't as quick or as able to find space as smaller guys. Again, it'd be good if we can find a tall guy who's also good. Maybe Duke can even become that guy as he develops. 

But the whole "we need a tall guy" nonsense is what got us James Hardy, may he R.I.P.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, Mshaw said:

none of this matters if Allen doesn't improve. 

put up 1 TD against the 30th ranked pass defense, and that was a trick play. had plenty of time to throw today even on his last OT drive. he choked 

Allen needs an offense that can pound the ball!!! That needs to be our identity.... Singletary can’t do it by himself, a rookie this year. Pair him up with a Jordan Howard and draft OL.... Ford is not the answer at RT!!!!! He played good but I just don’t think he has NFL athleticism to play OT.

Duke has looked good, Knox has looked good, Brown and Beasley with another year in the system will be better.... But the Bills need to be a run first team if Allen wants to succeed. You think Tannehill would be any good if they didn’t have the best RB in the league who played for 4 seasons and runs the ball 25+ times a game?!!?!

Get a RT in the draft that can run block like a tank, grab FA Jordan Howard!!!! Run the ball!!!!!!!!!’

Although i love Gore, I dont understand having him in the game when he was getting nothing on his carrries. The oline sucked today we need a solid RT. Poyer was out of position on the swing td pasd to Johnson. Plus we allowed 2 two point conversions and a 3 rd and 18 to convert. Cant put all the blame on Allen. Atleast he was trying to make things happen. Also Dabol has to stop being conservitive when the Bills get the lead.

The Oline is actually okay. They are average to above average. 

Maybe grab a guard, but other than that little should be invested in it. 

Allen had time to throw today, Oline only let you 3 sacks. 

invest in WRs and TEs. 

Also coach Allen it’s okay to take dump offs for 3-4 yards instead of trying to get it all in one play

With the game on the line, the O line didn’t step up. Late in the 4th, you’ve gotten into fg position, and Allen barely has time to catch the snap before he has guys in his face...for 2 plays in a row!!! The line got bailed out by the defense stopping the Texans on 4th down and the Bills were able to eventually kick the field goal, but the line was terrible in the second half. To be fair they did have some plays where the blocking was great and Josh had all day and didn’t do enough on those (looking at you, deep pass to DiMarco) but as much as the line improved this year, they still have a ways to go

I don’t want to hear a peep about defense this offseason.   An “elite” defense just gave up a 16 point lead in the second half to a Texans team minus Will Fuller.  

Offseason priorities should be as follows:

WR

WR

RT

RB

Thats it.  

Kick Ford inside.  Let Spain walk.  Get a real RT. They can split time with Nsehke if it’s a rookie. 

Singletary was our leading WR in a playoff game.  That’s our rookie RB...   Duke Williams looked like our most dynamic WR.  He was just activated for his first meaningful game in months.  

Brown, nice season.  Complimentary player.  
Beasley, nice slot.  Complimentary player.  

Get us a friggin Offense.  

Tre, Edmunds, Milano and Oliver are the building blocks.  Murphy came on end of the season and Hughes still has it.   Harry comes back off injury.  Taron, Levi, KJ are fine at corner.  Same with Hyde, Poyer, Johnson, Neal at Safety.  

This defense proved they can’t win us a playoff game.  Neither did New England’s elite defense without much of an offense. 

Offense.  Offense.  Offense.  

Edited by SCBills

Nonsense.

Just as a quick example, look at the first SB team. Their top three WRs were Andre Reed (945 yards, 13th in the league, and 8 TDs) , Lofton getting 712 yards (42nd) and Don Beebe racking up 221. Don Smith also managed 221. Even at his age, Lofton was still probably a better deep threat than Brown but not as good on short routes. The young Lofton, yeah, he unquestionably plays over Brown in any situation, but the 34 year-old? They'd have found spots for him, for sure, but it's not obvious that he was better at that point at all, though as I say, he was a better deep threat.

The next year Lofton got up to about what Brown managed this year. Andre had an unassailably great year of 1113 yards and 10 TDs, and Lofton had 1072, with 8TDs. That's a great year, and that year beats out Brown, I'd say. Beebe was next with 414. With almost exactly the same number of passes thrown by the QBs that year as this year.

And while I don't mean to insult Josh Allen, Andre and Lofton had a bit of an advantage with Jim Kelly throwing to them and completing 63.3%, 64.1%, 58.2% and 61.3% in those four SB years with an OL that was sensational and a hall of fame running back.

Beasley would have started. Brown might easily have started half of those year or more. Though Andre was certainly the best of the lot.

1992, Andre had 913 yards, 3TDs, Lofton had 786 and 6 TDs, and Beebe had 554.

1993, Andre had 854 yards and 6 TDs, Bill Brooks had 714 and 5 TDs and Beebe had 504 and 3 TDs. There's a very strong argument that Brown is better than Bill Brooks - though Brooks was very good and I like him a lot. A pro's pro.

Yeah, the rules made passing easier back then. But people look back through rose-colored glasses at that team. Andre was terrific, certainly better than anybody on this team, but after that, we had a great deep threat in Lofton at age 34, 35 and 36, Brooks and Beebe. And Lofton wasn't getting a lot done in terms of short-area quickness.

And Brown is a great deep threat. Think of how many times we've seen him open long and overthrown this year.

But in any case, saying that our current guys wouldn't have started on a team that made the Super Bowl four years in a row (and I believe that's wrong, because Beasley probably starts in the slot on both teams) is saying pretty good things about our group.

22 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t want to hear a peep about defense this offseason.   An “elite” defense just gave up a 16 point lead in the second half to a Texans team minus Will Fuller.  

Offseason priorities should be as follows:

WR

WR

RT

RB

Thats it.  

Peep.

Pass rusher and replacement LB for Alexander. But yeah you're right, the defense was absolutely excellent this year. And maybe a CB as well.