Daboll Brutal Down the Stretch

Just to reiterate: Daboll actually called a play, in an actual NFL playoff game, consisting of an empty backfield and Pat Dimarco, Devin Singletary, and Lee Smith lined up wide. Brown was lined up in the slot and McKenzie lined up as TE. Deep routes were run by Dimarco (go) and Smith (deep post). None of this a typo.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Just to reiterate: Daboll actually called a play, in an actual NFL playoff game, consisting of an empty backfield and Pat Dimarco, Devin Singletary, and Lee Smith lined up wide. Brown was lined up in the slot and McKenzie lined up as TE. Deep routes were run by Dimarco (go) and Smith (deep post). None of this a typo.

Its a freaking joke to go 5 wide with those guys lol.

54 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  until we go hard at building a top 10 offense,  this team will wallow around 9 wins every year. It was our offense that got us to 4 straight SB's. Not our defense.  

If you can have both sides top ten or higher your in business!

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  until we go hard at building a top 10 offense,  this team will wallow around 9 wins every year. It was our offense that got us to 4 straight SB's. Not our defense.  

Can't agree with this.  The 4 SB teams rose from Smerlas, Smith, Bennett, Conlan, Kelso, Odomes ect ect.  In the SB years the offense came around and gets the credit for those SB's but it started with defense.  We are starting with defense and i certainly can't argue that we should stand pat with the offense but I have always and will always say play good defense and find a way to score points.  Having a top 10 offense certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings but I'd settle for scoring 23 or 24 ppg which shouldn't be unthinkable next year.

Edited by Maine-iac

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

As bad as this play design was, Allen still made a really bad decision. Brown had tons of space in the middle when the LBs collapsed to McKenzie on the pump fake, and Singletary was wide open with room to run on the sideline. 

Daboll should never have DiMarco lined up wide, and Allen should never throw it deep to him into double coverage. They are both to blame on that one.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Really? Let's take a look. The first year of our run the defense was 6th in the league in scoring defense & 8th in yards allowed per game. They gave up 16.43 points a game. The last year of the run our defense finished 5th in scoring defense and 2nd in yards allowed per game. They gave up 15.125 points a game. This year we finished 2nd in scoring defense and 3rd in yards allowed per game. We gave up 16.2 points a game. 2 out of the 4 years our defense was as good, if not better than this year's defense, which was really good. 

A FB running a go route 20 yards downfield should show you there is zero hope for this team next season with Daboll in charge of the offense 

it doesn't matter if we have a top 3 defense for the next decade, we aren't winning anything without a good offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

A FB running a go route 20 yards downfield should show you there is zero hope for this team next season with Daboll in charge of the offense 

it doesn't matter if we have a top 3 defense for the next decade, we aren't winning anything without a good offense. 

Or a good QB

1 hour ago, MPT said:

As bad as this play design was, Allen still made a really bad decision. Brown had tons of space in the middle when the LBs collapsed to McKenzie on the pump fake, and Singletary was wide open with room to run on the sideline. 

Daboll should never have DiMarco lined up wide, and Allen should never throw it deep to him into double coverage. They are both to blame on that one.

Brown did not have tons of space. There was no one open. Allen was looking play side the entire time and eventually had to go opposite field to the dummy routes. 

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Can't agree with this.  The 4 SB teams rose from Smerlas, Smith, Bennett, Conlan, Kelso, Odomes ect ect.  In the SB years the offense came around and gets the credit for those SB's but it started with defense.  We are starting with defense and i certainly can't argue that we should stand pat with the offense but I have always and will always say play good defense and find a way to score points.  Having a top 10 offense certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings but I'd settle for scoring 23 or 24 ppg which shouldn't be unthinkable next year.

I disagree with this.

In 1990 the Bills had most prolific offense in the league #1 in points scored and with that "hurry up" "run and shoot offense" nobody could keep up with them. #3 in passing TD's, #2 in rushing TD's.

Going into that super bowl they were early +15 point favorites against the NY Giants. 

While the defense was good they were #6 points allowed, #8 in yards allowed and most notably weak up the middle against the run.(see NY Giants SB) What made that defense work was that the offense would get the lead and then let Bruce Smith, Biscuit loose in pass rushing.  Perhaps you missed that AFC playoff game against Miami in Buffalo 44-34. After this game Dolphins players were heard saying, "i can't believe we scored 34 points and lost". Championship game against the Raiders, 51-3.  

14 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I disagree with this.

In 1990 the Bills had most prolific offense in the league #1 in points scored and with that "hurry up" "run and shoot offense" nobody could keep up with them. #3 in passing TD's, #2 in rushing TD's.

Going into that super bowl they were early +15 point favorites against the NY Giants. 

While the defense was good they were #6 points allowed, #8 in yards allowed and most notably weak up the middle against the run.(see NY Giants SB) What made that defense work was that the offense would get the lead and then let Bruce Smith, Biscuit loose in pass rushing.  Perhaps you missed that AFC playoff game against Miami in Buffalo 44-34. After this game Dolphins players were heard saying, "i can't believe we scored 34 points and lost". Championship game against the Raiders, 51-3.  

Buffalo emerged as a defensive team in the seasons before that.  We started winning as a defensive team.  Then Thurman emerged (88 or 89) and then Lofton and Beebe came along.  We started winning as a defensive team and were still a very good defensive team.  The offense was the icing on the cake and certainly a large part of going from playoff contender to SB team but that said argue all you want, we started as a defensive team.

Edited by Maine-iac

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

The pass to the FB.... Why do we have a play design where are FB is even running that route?

I don't like Daboll, but the play was perfect to be honest. He had the FB running that route to throw the D off defending underneath. It's a confusing play. The problem is you shouldn't pass to the FB there but someone open underneath like Brown. 

8 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Buffalo emerged as a defensive team in the seasons before that.  We started winning as a defensive team.  Then Thurman emerged (88 or 89) and then Lofton and Beebe came along.  We started winning as a defensive team and were still a very good defensive team.  The offense was the icing on the cake and certainly a large part of going from playoff contender to SB team but that said argue all you want, we started as a defensive team.

Winning games as a defensive team? They were never the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, 1976 Steel curtain, 1972 no name Miami defense. The 2013 Seattle legion of Boom. 

I was at a game in 1987, Nov 29th to be exact in which the Bills played the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins offense didn't cross the 50 yard line until late in the 4th when they benched Dan Marino and put in Don Strock, who promptly drove down the field to the end zone where the phins turned the ball over.

Final score, Buffalo 27, Miami 0. After this game I went and bought season tickets. That year the Bills defense was 12th overall. The offense with Ronnie Harmon, Rob Riddick, Kelly and Reed. This was the year they drafted Shane Conlan. the Bills ended that season 7-9. The offense was 24th, 16th.

In 1988 is what you are thinking of where the defense was 3rd in points, 4th in yards, while the offense was 14th and 12th. That year ended in the AFC Championship game in Cincy. Thurman Thomas was drafted in 88. So, 87, 88 the defense was better stat wise. Bills fans did nickname the Bills defense the "Blizzard defense".  

In 1989 the Bills defense was 14th in points allowed, 11th in yards. However, the offense 3rd in points, 5th in yards. That season ended in Cleveland in a wildcard game. Don Beebe was drafted in 89. Lofton was there for the 89 season. The Bills offense pulled to the forefront stat wise during the 89 season and never looked back. 

The offense, was never the icing on the cake as Jim Kelly was the main feature of that team since arriving in 1986.  Bills fans went nuts and the stadium started selling out once he was signed and came to Buffalo. While the 88 defense was better stat wise, it was Kelly's arm and Thurman running that got them to 12-4. 

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

With the game on the line ....

My two cents I am ok with him moving on to the browns or wherever . He's too conservative and at times I scratch my head with his BS conservative playcalling. I realize that some of it may be from McClappy but he's insanely inconsistent and gimmick plays are not a staple. After yesterday's second half dumpster fire he can pound sound.