Your story about your Bills Fan berth year

fansince88

My dad popped back into my life when I was 13 and lived nearby. He watched the regular season and then invited me over for each of the playoff games that led to SB XXV. Watched the rest of the SB seasons and then my fan hood faded around 96 until I moved to Orlando and became home sick around 2002. Been a consistent fan since then.

• Like (+1) 1

Raised in Tonawanda. Bills fan since the mid to late 60s. I became a real fan as a grade school kid right after the early championship seasons. So unfortunately my earliest memories are from the downward spiral in 1968 etc. Dan Darraugh, Max Anderson and the whole bunch. Those were the days. Younger fans don’t know what bad football looks like. ?

• Like (+1) 1

1989: Tecmo Bowl was the game to play on our street. I was just a young kid then and everyone would run the ball with the Bears/Raiders. I instead would bring the K Gun and air it out with the Bills. Bruce Smith off the edge was insane. Fell in love with them in the game and started collecting all their cards.

2019: started collecting cards again and have an absolutely insane Josh Allen collection.

LETS GO BILLS 

• Like (+1) 1

I always find it so interesting to hear about diehard Bills fans that aren’t even from Western, NY. It’s very cool. I was born and raised in Western NY, so remember watching Bills games at 5-6 years of age (now 40 yo). I didn’t have a choice in who to root for and wouldn’t have it any other way! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

First game was as a 5 year old in '76 against the Colts and my only distinct memories of that game is a few OJ runs.  I'd call my full on fandom birth year the 1980 season opener when they broke the curse of the fish and the goalposts came down. Had seasons for all the super bowl years, so I know what its like to expect to win each and every week.....we're not there again yet but I can feel it coming.  Moved south to NC as the drought was just beginning...went to the Jacksonville playoff game but honestly expected the outcome.  It's good to have the playoffs back and feel like the Bills have a legit chance.  Let's Go Buffalo!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was born in May of 1965 so the old AFL championships have no bearing on my fan hood . What I mostly remember as a kid growing up is the O.J. and Joe Ferguson era along with Electric company but had to watch the games on black and white TV because my dad was to cheap to go and buy a color set. He did finally breakdown and bought one in 1973 when the old b&w broke down. 

Edited by Blackkat19
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I started following them in 1968 when they were 1-12-1.  I figured they were on their way up!  Drafted OJ in ‘69 and it was an exciting time. Been a lot of heartbreak and disappointments.  Attendance highlights have been the 1980 opener beating the Dolphins for the first time in 10 years, the first and fourth AFC Championship games and the fourth Super Bowl. 

Still waiting for them to win the Big One. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

As a native LA resident and 10 year old boy I loved watching the UCLA/USC games. In the fall of 1968 I told myself I would follow whatever team drafts OJ. On January 28, 1969 the Buffalo Bills took him #1. Over the next several years my fandom grew watching Joe Ferguson and the electric company. Then the beautiful run we made from 88-93.  On the morning of June 13th, I was driving north on Bundy from Wilshire when I noticed police tape around a condo on the left. Just one police car was there and no other vehicles. I drove on not knowing what had happened there. Then later in the day the news broke. I couldn't believe what I was hearing about my childhood idol. What are the odds? My love and passion for the Bill's never wavered and only grew. All 4 of my kids became fans and now my grandsons are fans. It's awkward to tell people how I began following the Bills but I've never regretted it for one second. Someday I hope to see my first Bills game in Buffalo. And see a championship before I leave this earth. What are the odds......

• Thank you (+1) 1

Born in 1984 then when I was 2 we got PCS'ed to Guam so we didn't get to watch many Bills game and even when we did I was too young to remember. We got back stateside in 1988 and my old man bought the old giant dish. My first memory is trying to find the Bills broadcast and some of the feeds being raw and never going to commercial so you could hear the announcers talking during the break. 

I grew up watching the good Bills teams but most of my life they've been bad. Those Super Bowl teams are still how I remember this organization as stupid as that sounds. I made a joke during Christmas, as we were all opening up new Bills gear, that this was like every Christmas we had in the early 90s. I'm just hoping it's a sign of things to come for our team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I started following them in 1968 when they were 1-12-1.  I figured they were on their way up!  Drafted OJ in ‘69 and it was an exciting time. Been a lot of heartbreak and disappointments.  

Still waiting for them to win the Big One. 

Haha! That was the year I attended my first game: a 48-6 beating by the Raiders. I started following them because they were the local team and my father's team. That was one of the few games I attended with him and we spent the season hoping the Bills would draft O. J. Simpson. I was a huge fan of his until he became a murderer.

Simpson, not my father.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Haha! That was the year I attended my first game: a 48-6 beating by the Raiders. I started following them because they were the local team and my father's team. That was one of the few games I attended with him and we spent the season hoping the Bills would draft O. J. Simpson. I was a huge fan of his until he became a murderer.

Simpson, not my father.

I was there. That is the first game I remember attending as well. I remember George Atkinson having a great game. That, and the colors!  After watching games on a B&W TV and seeing the green field and royal blue jerseys was stunning, especially after walking through that neighborhood and that stadium. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I was there. That is the first game I remember attending as well. I remember George Atkinson having a great game. That, and the colors!  After watching games on a B&W TV and seeing the green field and royal blue jerseys was stunning, especially after walking through that neighborhood and that stadium. 

That first game was definitely one of the best sports experiences I've had. Indescribable seeing the field, players, and game live for the first time. 

• Like (+1) 1