Playoff #1 Bills @ Texans PostGame Thread

Catching up on morning reading and not read all 28 pages of comments on this line .. but the last few is all about the offense, play calling, etc.  Yes we only scored 19 points and all the BLAH BLAH BLAH about the offense and/or Josh Allen .. I'll come back to that.

The reality is as it relates to the game ... our defense had the chance to shut the door and didn't unfortunately ... and I love our defense.  But the 3rd and 18 play in O/T from their 19 yard line ... I repeat their 19 yard line and we have 3/4's of our defense 20 yards deep and can't come up and stop Duke Johnson, why is Edmunds playing that deep versus shadowing the RB out of the backfield?  Then two defenders unable to wrap up Watson (and ton of respect for his play) on their 44 yard line later in the drive for the 34 yard completion that led to the game winning field goal.

Now back to our offense ... bottom line our talent on that side of the ball vs. the other playoff teams (net of Philly with their injuries) is not remotely close.  Though I love the moves by Beane this past off-season ... he's not done yet.  Josh and Daboll have done more with less all season long.  I trust Beane will continue to address. 

I'll take 3000% of where Josh Allen is in year 2 and continue to be a fan ...  we were down 3 points with no timeouts and ball on our 30 yard line at the end of the game .. and our QB engineered a drive (including a 20 year scramble) to get us a game tying field goal.

If you read the pre-season threads ... well over 90% never rationally thought a 10 win season ... we got that and the 2nd playoff birth in 3 years under the McBeane regime ... can we be thankful for the team's resurrection to quality football and TRUST THE PROCESS!! ... Looking forward to the draft and free agency and please please please resign Tre White ASAP ... pay the man .. let's not have a Gilmore flashback.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

No crusade.  I was completely impressed with Allen in the first half.   It was the greatest 30 min performance of his career....and the loss wasn't soley his fault, but he melted down. 

I agree he played a great first half which is what we wanted to see as opposed to turning it on second half.

But this time it was like the complete opposite happened. I honestly think the whole second half just became a cluster ***show, the game suddenly got tight and  the moment got to him. Nerves set in . But remember this is his  first playoff game..let’s hope the experience Is another step  forward for him

I also think despite that some of the miscues he did lead us into overtime. We had chances to put this away but missed due to other miscues. Where three of our oline completely miss one tackler which most likely spring him for huge yardage was a fail. A horrible ticky tack penalty on Ford. Maybe the results would be different. Maybe Josh doesn’t fumble and we win by three.

Our margin for error with this team is so low pretty much every game other than Phily was

decided by a td or less. That trend scares me.

2020 is crucial.

Beane and Mcd need to spend this offseason figuring what talent  we need at what positions to get this offense over the hump. We need to jump on these teams early and not look back. 

We can’t go backwards.  Next year is going to tell us a lot about where we we are with the offense and Josh. 

Pretty obvious after yesterdays loss to Houston McD is the kind of coach that will only get you so far. It has trended that way for a while now based on his body of work.

He has been great at changing the culture and getting players to play hard, tons of credit there but he has been abysmal at hiring decent coaches and game planning and game management.

He generally has said the right things after games but throwing Allen under the bus yesterday will have some lasting affects, as a coach with good young players, stuff like that can't be said to the media before watching tape when you yourself had way way more questionable bad decisions than the young guy you just roasted. Bad precedent going forward, when push comes to shove the coach doesn't have your back when all he spews is to have each others back, very hypocritical. 

McD was winning me over as the coach to get us to the promise land but after last nights many many gaffs and subsequent blaming Allen, i've soured on McD and see him nothing more than coach who will get a team to the playoffs on occasion but never advance very far. 

8 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I agree he played a great first half which is what we wanted to see as opposed to turning it on second half.

But this time it was like the complete opposite happened. I honestly think the whole second half just became a cluster ***show, the game suddenly got tight and  the moment got to him. Nerves set in . But remember this is his  first playoff game..let’s hope the experience Is another step  forward for him

I also think despite that some of the miscues he did lead us into overtime. We had chances to put this away but missed due to other miscues. Where three of our oline completely miss one tackler which most likely spring him for huge yardage was a fail. A horrible ticky tack penalty on Ford. Maybe the results would be different. Maybe Josh doesn’t fumble and we win by three.

Our margin for error with this team is so low pretty much every game other than Phily was

decided by a td or less. That trend scares me.

2020 is crucial.

Beane and Mcd need to spend this offseason figuring what talent  we need at what positions to get this offense over the hump. We need to jump on these teams early and not look back. 

We can’t go backwards.  Next year is going to tell us a lot about where we we are with the offense and Josh. 

Comment on the 1 score game trend this season, I wouldn't be worried about it. It wasn't like we were winning by lucky plays. Like Pittsburgh and new England this season

We just don't have the offense yet. Year 3 has always been beane and McDermott s plan. We need to finish the offense. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Comment on the 1 score game trend this season, I wouldn't be worried about it. It wasn't like we were winning by lucky plays. Like Pittsburgh and new England this season

We just don't have the offense yet. Year 3 has always been beane and McDermott s plan. We need to finish the offense. 

Your right. We just were not quite good enough yet to overcome. I’m excited for this offseason. 

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Just completed year 3, year 4 coming up and yes there needs to be up grades and more weapons for Allen on offense.

Tough tough tough loss! 

I knew going into this game we are still a couple players away from being the team we need to win in the playoffs. Josh Allen will be fine, get him a couple more play makers! 

Defense side of the ball. I'd like a younger faster LB to replace Zo and give me another pass rusher or two in this year's draft. 

We were up 16-0, I still don't know what happened. I thought we had this in the bag. 

My hat is off to House, he was a solid kicker down the stretch. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Woke this AM, read this, and just the mental picture of those 3 blockers out in front hitting no one - it literally makes my somach turn. To think after all the mis-steps up to that point, just one person throw a block or at least get in the way, and a minute later i'm celebrating a win with my son (instead of storming out in a profanity-laced tirade minutes later after Missed Sack).  Sigh

I agree with you 100%.  Of all the mistakes made and plays NOT made it really did come down to executing that sweep.  For all the bashing Daboll is taking and I'm dealing it out like everyone else, it was a great play call that caught Houston flat footed.  Allen would have gained 20 yards had just one of those guys got in the way of #41.  They didn't even need to make a block. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, pop gun said:

Pretty obvious after yesterdays loss to Houston McD is the kind of coach that will only get you so far. It has trended that way for a while now based on his body of work.

He has been great at changing the culture and getting players to play hard, tons of credit there but he has been abysmal at hiring decent coaches and game planning and game management.

He generally has said the right things after games but throwing Allen under the bus yesterday will have some lasting affects, as a coach with good young players, stuff like that can't be said to the media before watching tape when you yourself had way way more questionable bad decisions than the young guy you just roasted. Bad precedent going forward, when push comes to shove the coach doesn't have your back when all he spews is to have each others back, very hypocritical. 

McD was winning me over as the coach to get us to the promise land but after last nights many many gaffs and subsequent blaming Allen, i've soured on McD and see him nothing more than coach who will get a team to the playoffs on occasion but never advance very far. 

Pop Gun .. as veteran on here ... aren't you happier with McD vs. the 10+ coaches we've had in non playoff years?  Not sure I understand the hiring of decent coaches or game planning.  Why is Daboll getting HC interviews if the rest of the NFL public thinks he's so bad ... Frazier has managed a top flight defense that held many an offense to <20 points all year.

16 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Pop Gun .. as veteran on here ... aren't you happier with McD vs. the 10+ coaches we've had in non playoff years?  Not sure I understand the hiring of decent coaches or game planning.  Why is Daboll getting HC interviews if the rest of the NFL public thinks he's so bad ... Frazier has managed a top flight defense that held many an offense to <20 points all year.

I haven’t read too many posts on this thread because of so many pages. But this is, by far, the sanest and most rational post that I have read. Really, going from six and 10 to 10 and six! How often does that happen in this league? And, in particular,I agree with your comments about the offense. Josh has had one real weapon or year in Singleterry. He made John Brown a good receiver this year but he disappears too often and games particularly at big moments. He needs a receiver like Hopkins. I do believe the offense will be better next year because he Josh will have more weapons and he will continue to develop. Along with his awesome physical skills the most impressive thing about Josh is his intelligence and his work ethic. So I choose to be optimistic.

to put this in some perspective, compare my take on this disappointing loss to what’s going on in another thread. I won’t name names or give details. But in the other thread the OP actually suggested the Buffalo Bills fans that they should not go and greet the team at the airport when they arrive because of the loss yesterday. Pathetic! And to me as a fan, insulting.

yes, we could have/should have won the game. But we lost in overtime to an evenly matched opponent at their field. Their quarterback made one terrific play that won the game for them.The loss was not embarrassing in the least to me.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

The only people who think Daboll is horrible and bad are Buffalo fans, outside of them he is thought of highly as a good coach. Frasier isn't getting the attention because he has had HC jobs before and teams don't want defensive guys as HCs anymore. The trend is to go for Offensive guys to run the team because it's an offensive league.

10 hours ago, White Linen said:

If Allen doesn't take a step next year, which is likely being with this HC, then McD needs to go.  

I just can't believe how some of you guys don't see how this HC and OC are pulling the total offense down.  They are not showing themselves capable of developing a young QB.

I am all for OC replacement. The HC needs to commit to getting to at least 16th or better in the points for rankings. This year that would mean going from 19.6 to 22.6 PPG. If the Bills had scored 22 points in every game this year they would have been 13-3 (or 12-4 if they did not try against the Jets). I do not put this all on Allen but, he does need to improve.

14 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I haven’t read too many posts on this thread because of so many pages. But this is, by far, the sanest and most rational post that I have read. Really, going from six and 10 to 10 and six! How often does that happen in this league? And, in particular,I agree with your comments about the offense. Josh has had one real weapon or year in Singleterry. He made John Brown a good receiver this year but he disappears too often and games particularly at big moments. He needs a receiver like Hopkins. I do believe the offense will be better next year because he Josh will have more weapons and he will continue to develop. Along with his awesome physical skills the most impressive thing about Josh is his intelligence and his work ethic. So I choose to be optimistic.

to put this in some perspective, compare my take on this disappointing loss to what’s going on in another thread. I won’t name names or give details. But in the other thread the OP actually suggested the Buffalo Bills fans that they should not go and greet the team at the airport when they arrive because of the loss yesterday. Pathetic! And to me as a fan, insulting.

yes, we could have/should have won the game. But we lost in overtime to an evenly matched opponent at their field. Their quarterback made one terrific play that won the game for them.The loss was not embarrassing in the least to me.

Yeah some of the commentary on that airport greeting thread and many others is insane ... there are a few of our TBD Keyboard warriors that need to

image.png.02afc3d2f9e1c0215249b5d12f08d2e5.png

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What is really painful was the GW play. Two guys nailed Watson. Because of the physics of two guys sandwiching him, by dumb luck, he stays on his feet. That should have been a sack and way out of FG range. 

That play, the Brown "gallop" out of bounds and the non-block on the Allen sweep - AHHHHHHRRRRR!!!  ?

Buuuu-mmer, man!  :beer:

• Like (+1) 2

I think we can win with McDermott as the coach if Allen makes some improvements and we get a couple more good players on offense. The schedule is a bit harder (at least it looks that way right now), but we are trending in the right direction. To me, Allen is the key. If he improves, we will continue to make the playoffs. If he doesn't, we wont. Of course, he needs one really good receiver. He needs another RB as good as Singletary and one more O-Line guy. Other than that, we are in good shape, as long as he gets better. 

Again, I think McDermott can take us forward. But if we could get a guy like Arians, Carroll, or Reid that would really help a lot. McDermott is definitely flawed and I do not think he can overcome his flaws as they have been apparent since he started in Buffalo. But if Allen can get it together and they can get a couple more good players, McDermott has enough good coaching attributes to get us there. 

In retrospect the difference in most games comes down to a few plays. We had so many players and coaches leave plays on the field yesterday yet we were a few play away. I wasn’t pissed waking up today because yesterday confirmed what I already knew. We still have talent needs. 

Knox + 2 OL whiffing on that QB sweep block that would have set up the winning FG. 

Bills having a 3rd and 1 before kicking the tying FG and Daboll dials up our worst play a screen which we never execute and we bite it for a giant loss. Then McD goes for it on 4th and 23 instead of punting them inside the 10 and trusting the defense. We could have been playing for a win and not a tie in that last minute. 

Feliciano looking clueless at least 5-6 times against the exact same inside move when they would have Watt rush inside. Mainly going untouched most of the time.

John Brown’s non attempt to drag his feet on a long pass instead doing a weird bunny hop and giving himself no chance to get even one foot down. If that is Diggs, it’s a catch. 

Duke Williams being targeted 10 times? Why ?? He Isn’t a WR1. He didn’t have any separation when he was targeted.

Siran Neal getting cocky after his first sack blitzes from the other side and doesn’t use wrap up technique...ball game.

Edmunds leaving plays all over the field from the two point conversion angle to various poor gap assignments to not recognizing Fells when he was lurking in his zone. 

Matt Milano missed at least 3 sacks or TFL by running past the QB or RB. Same problem he had with Lamar. Playing with speed but needs to play with control also. 

3rd and 18 and Frazier dials up a soft zone. That never works out with a QB that can extend the play. 

Finally Josh Allen. Another fumble, almost two. The weird pitch was stupid which could have made it three. The tossup to DiMarco was stupid ( what play design has a slow FB running deep?)  Running backward to avoid a sack in FG range is always stupid.

The point is everyone left some big plays on the field and we still barely lost even though we have deficient talent at WR, RB2, LB, DE, and made some coaching errors. 

I AM CALM TODAY. WE WILL BE BACK AND BETTER NEXT YEAR, WIN THE AFC EAST, AND TEAMS WILL START TO FEAR US. 

i went to to the 89 game in Cleveland and this game is that moment for this team. The prime difference is this team is younger and we don’t have a QB who already had played 5 years of pro football. I am very proud of this team and excited about their future. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1