Playoff #1 Bills @ Texans PostGame Thread

20 minutes ago, White Linen said:

We don't play prevent all that much or at least enough to mention.  Obviously that 3rd and 18 was a killer but that doesn't happen often.  

I remember under Rex teams were getting 3rd and long more than 3rd and short it seemed.

The call on 3rd and 18 was actually fine and correct. One of 4 Bills defenders swarming to the receiver must make the tackle. 

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

the lone insight from ESPN’s stellar and insightful broadcast of the game was when they said the Bills went out and signed a veteran to be in each of the players’ rooms this year. I had not heard that until today. 

I love that idea, and think it went a long way to getting this team prepared. We can rip guys like Gore or Lee Smith, but their presence probably reaped some long-term

gains for the young players. 

You can have those guys in the locker room but didn't need to take carries away from Singeltary for Gore when he was totally ineffective nor feature Dimarco in your 5wr sets in OT.  The personnel decisions by this coaching staff are very questionable. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

The call on 3rd and 18 was actually fine and correct. One of 4 Bills defenders swarming to the receiver must make the tackle. 

No they played soft to begin with  You bring extra pressure force the short throw than rally  Not rush 4 and allow a guy to catch it 10 yards downfield with a head of steam  This defense played conservative and soft for the majority of the year  First time since 1997 Bills didnt have a int return or fumble return for a td  Soft non aggressive defense.  Bend but dont break but dont win the game either

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I agree.  I was pointing out that if that's what he'd call prevent, it's not like that's a consistent occurrence.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Overall, I thought they called a great game on D today. Tackling was the defenses biggest problem and was an issue that snuck up on us late in the season. Don’t get me started on the offensive coaching. That was also consistent with the rest of the season for all the wrong reasons. 

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

No they played soft to begin with  You bring extra pressure force the short throw than rally  Not rush 4 and allow a guy to catch it 10 yards downfield with a head of steam  This defense played conservative and soft for the majority of the year  First time since 1997 Bills didnt have a int return or fumble return for a td  Soft non aggressive defense.  Bend but dont break but dont win the game either

I disagree. He threw well short of the first down, and the tackle should have been made easily. Good call, bad execution of the defense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Are you sure you're talking about the Bills?

30 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

A few hours after the game and the pain of the loss has lessened...

This team over-achieved this year.  The defense was built first and held up its end of the bargain in almost all games, including this one.  The offense was known to be a work in progress and it showed all season and in this playoff game.

No, no, no.   We had an easy-ass schedule and returned all but one player on defense... and Beane/McDermott were going into their third year together.  In no way did we over-achieve.

Qualifying for the Playoffs should be the absolute bare minimum at this point in time.

Standards!

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but do you have examples? 

I ask because, thinking back, I don’t know where Allen really held us back from points... maybe the throw to Brown on the sideline at the 4?

He threw for 264, ran for 92 and caught a TD.   It’s not his fault we constantly turtle up and run Gore for 1 yard on throwaway plays in FG range.

coughing up that fumble comes to mind immediately

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I agree.  I was pointing out that if that's what he'd call prevent, it's not like that's a consistent occurrence.

Yeah, his concept of “ prevent” is a bit off. The Bills defense is a zone heavy scheme that takes away deep passes. It’s what they do, and I don’t expect a ton of deviation. They waited a bit too long to dial up pressure in a critical situation, but that’s not prevent defense. 

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

No, no, no.   We had an easy-ass schedule and returned all but one player on defense... and Beane/McDermott were going into their third year together.  In no way did we over-achieve.

Qualifying for the Playoffs should be the absolute bare minimum at this point in time.

Standards!

coughing up that fumble comes to mind immediately

Ball security in the open field is a major concern with Josh . Fair point. 

18 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I just can't believe vet posters are saying stuff like this.  I'm not trying to start a fight with you bro but the 2nd year QB did way more than enough to win this game.  Duke gets 2 hands on a TD pass and Brown hops when he needs to get his feet down - are 2 plays that can't happen in the playoffs and to a young QB.

Puss play calling accepting FG's the moment we're in range when closing games is for the taking are his leadership's issues.

I agree that the play calling  in the second half was abysmal and there were a few drops (Texans had a few big drops, too, BTW), but Josh threw for under 6 YPA (almost 10 for Watson) and led the team 1 TD in 70 minutes.  Other than the disastrous sacks he took in the next to last possession of regulation, I’m struggling to think of particular examples where Josh screwed up badly, but I’m still a bit traumatized by what I witnessed this afternoon.  Josh didn’t make the plays that would have won the game, and Watson did.  And against a mediocre defense we again failed to score 20 points.  It’s just not accurate to say he did enough to win the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but do you have examples? 

I ask because, thinking back, I don’t know where Allen really held us back from points... maybe the throw to Brown on the sideline at the 4?

He threw for 264, ran for 92 and caught a TD.   It’s not his fault we constantly turtle up and run Gore for 1 yard on throwaway plays in FG range.

I agree that Allen got little help from Daboll or McDermott, but he had numerous chances to win the game and could not get it done.  He averaged less than 6 YPA, lost a fumble, and put up zero TDs after the opening drive.  Against Deshawn Watson, that will get you beat every time.  

I'm 24. This was unambiguously the best season that anyone my age or younger can honestly remember or have processed in real time. Thank you Bills. 

Please see and make the improvements that are obvious. My expectations for next season are raised. I want the division, and/or a playoff win. This is the first time I've ever been able to realistically set them this high. McBeane, you've done well to this point. We need that next step.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree that Allen got little help from Daboll or McDermott, but he had numerous chances to win the game and could not get it done.  He averaged less than 6 YPA, lost a fumble, and put up zero TDs after the opening drive.  Against Deshawn Watson, that will get you beat every time.  

He missed some shots to the end zone when they settled for one of their field goals. The fumble was obviously huge. Allen showed how great he can be but also how erratic. That being said not running the ball with Singletary in the 2nd half was a terrible mistake. Josh shouldn’t be throwing it 46 times. 

• Like (+1) 1