Playoff #1 Bills @ Texans PostGame Thread

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Except when he didn't. The one minute drill was as good as ANY NFL QB could have executed.

2-9 for 24 yards with a fumble is as good as any QB?

I mean, it was good enough to tie. But how can you possibly think that was the pinnacle of QB play? Many QBs, including Josh himself, have scored touchdowns to win in that situation. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a worse looking field goal drive. 

I'm not saying Allen was all bad, or even our worst problem, but let's chill with the "best any QB could have done" BS.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Maybe this was the best thing to happen to this team. Hopefully they’ll realize you can’t play conservative moving forward 

lol mcdermott has been here for 3 years. he still hasn't learned, what makes you say this is changing anything 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, White Linen said:

This is bunk.  His WR's let him down constantly and he has to overcome the putrid play calling.  Unrealistic to expect that from a 23 year old.

Did you see John Brown hop up when he needed to get his feet down at the 10 yard line?  Would've been first and goal, instead is a FG.  So many examples.

Dimarco is a WR in overtime for 7 plays?  Really?  

This is the NFL.  Expectations should be high.

2 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Don’t forget Watt knocking Allen down then landing on him with his weight after he threw the ball. All calls go out the window when Josh is getting hit...

Or Allen getting tackled late on a false start dead play.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, astb41 said:

How did Tremaine not pick up that fumble and take it to the house?! I mean I get it cover the ball and take over but Oliver was trying to pick him up. There were 4 or 5 bills defenders ready to lead him into the end zone.

its like this constant thought process of good enough. Hey we got the turnover that’s good enough. Hey we got to the 25 yard and can get 3 points that’s good enough. Go for the f’ing throat!!!

that said I love this team, the players we’ve brought in, and the coaching staff. But we have brutal schedule next year. We needed to learn from getting to round 2, not giving it away in round 1.

at this point we still have a dumb football team..the football awareness is well below avg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Nice to see Tennessee, the road team, figure out how to close a game out.  Houston sucks,  I’m still sick the Bills blew that game

Bills would have faced KC too. Just a shame.  

3 minutes ago, Mshaw said:

lol mcdermott has been here for 3 years. he still hasn't learned, what makes you say this is changing anything 

Trust the process, he is building a culture. Whatever that means. I rather build a winning team.  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tcali said:

at this point we still have a dumb football team..the football awareness is well below avg

Experience is the only thing that will help that. Both players and coaches 

Fully agree with that statement though. 
We just don’t have guys hat have been there. Even our veteran leadership guys haven’t won crap. Nothing against them at all just stating a fact. 

3 hours ago, Billznut said:

Actually he coaches overconfident. He doesn’t understand offensive football at all and it hurts us quite often. He has too much faith in HIS defense. Freaking score points. THATS 2020 NFL football. You don’t have the 85 Bears defense Sean 

I totally agree with you. Not sure he has the vision to move forward offensively to take it to the next level. He may be at his ceiling. I hope not but just do see that type of forward thinking on offense from him. Will be interesting to see what they do in the off-season. If offense is not a priority then I think they will regress. Like you say. We need more out of the offense and points. Even ESON said that in the postgame that the first half where we dominated should have been more. Tough to take. 

5 minutes ago, Tcali said:

I'll give you that on offense but the defense isn't dumb.  That's still a problem because our HC isn't interested in offense.  

Just now, White Linen said:

I'll give you that on offense but the defense isn't dumb.  That's still a problem because our HC isn't interested in offense.  

yes true....altho the main problem i have with an otherwise good defense is that we play prevent too much. that was one of the many things which cost us the game today.thats the dumb part of the D

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Except when he didn't. The one minute drill was as good as ANY NFL QB could have executed.

I’m a big Josh Allen fan, but he wasn’t good enough today.  Yes, he makes some great plays that few NFL QBs can make, but he put up just one touchdown in 70 minutes of football and he was badly outplayed by Deshawn Watson in the second half and OT.  Obviously, it’s not all his fault, but Allen had a lot of chances to win the game today and he didn’t get it done.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Tcali said:

yes true....altho the main problem i have with an otherwise good defense is that we play prevent too much. that was one of the many things which cost us the game today.thats the dumb part of the D

We don't play prevent all that much or at least enough to mention.  Obviously that 3rd and 18 was a killer but that doesn't happen often.  

I remember under Rex teams were getting 3rd and long more than 3rd and short it seemed.

A few hours after the game and the pain of the loss has lessened...

This team over-achieved this year.  The defense was built first and held up its end of the bargain in almost all games, including this one.  The offense was known to be a work in progress and it showed all season and in this playoff game.

Josh Allen is a raw physical freak, but it is yet to be seen if he can become a top flight passer.  Today, his OL and mediocre supporting group let him down, but he wasn’t able to elevate his team’s play, either.

Bills need a very good receiver to complement Brown and Beasley.  I think Knox will be a good starting TE and Sweeney a good #2.

Future rests mostly on whether Allen can become a good NFL passer.  He made a lot of progress this season, but he has LOTS of room for improvement.  Offseason should be spent watching tape of Brady and learning how to take what is available rather than playing hero ball.  He MUST learn to throw the anticipation passes rather than waiting for guys to break open.  If he improves 30% in those areas, he can be great.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, astb41 said:

How did Tremaine not pick up that fumble and take it to the house?! I mean I get it cover the ball and take over but Oliver was trying to pick him up. There were 4 or 5 bills defenders ready to lead him into the end zone.

its like this constant thought process of good enough. Hey we got the turnover that’s good enough. Hey we got to the 25 yard and can get 3 points that’s good enough. Go for the f’ing throat!!!

that said I love this team, the players we’ve brought in, and the coaching staff. But we have brutal schedule next year. We needed to learn from getting to round 2, not giving it away in round 1.

This can’t be said enough.  That 100% should have been a TD on the fumble and I was saying that all game and was worried it would come back to bite us.  No attempt at returning it and it was all our guys around. I agree that is a reflection of our coach and his conservative nature.  The TO was considered good enough as you said.  

Coach did it again by playing for a FG at best at the end of a half to make sure the other team doesn’t have any time left on the clock to do anything themselves.  Killing time is more important that maximizing the chance to score a TD.  There is a lot I like about our coach, but he still has almost as much growing and improving to do as Allen.  

This all plays into the controversial post game comments.  We have a coach that wants a low risk/low reward style and a QB who at his core is almost the exact opposite of that.  

I am hopeful that this marriage will work long term, but coach needs to understand he also needs to adjust and get better.

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m a big Josh Allen fan, but he wasn’t good enough today.  Yes, he makes some great plays that few NFL QBs can make, but he put up just one touchdown in 70 minutes of football and he was badly outplayed by Deshawn Watson in the second half and OT.  Obviously, it’s not all his fault, but Allen had a lot of chances to win the game today and he didn’t get it done.

Not trying to be a jerk, but do you have examples? 

I ask because, thinking back, I don’t know where Allen really held us back from points... maybe the throw to Brown on the sideline at the 4?

He threw for 264, ran for 92 and caught a TD.   It’s not his fault we constantly turtle up and run Gore for 1 yard on throwaway plays in FG range.

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

I just can't believe vet posters are saying stuff like this.  I'm not trying to start a fight with you bro but the 2nd year QB did way more than enough to win this game.  Duke gets 2 hands on a TD pass and Brown hops when he needs to get his feet down - are 2 plays that can't happen in the playoffs and to a young QB.

Puss play calling accepting FG's the moment we're in range when closing games is for the taking are his leadership's issues.

• Thank you (+1) 1

the lone insight from ESPN’s stellar and insightful broadcast of the game was when they said the Bills went out and signed a veteran to be in each of the players’ rooms this year. I had not heard that until today. 

I love that idea, and think it went a long way to getting this team prepared. We can rip guys like Gore or Lee Smith, but their presence probably reaped some long-term

gains for the young players.